TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Will there be a V-8 Terlingua conversion program?

FordRocks1

Ever since I had my once in a life time grand award to attend the Terlingua event in TX I just just can't stop thinking about those Terlingua cars. My question to all including SAI is will there be a conversion program for us that already own a Shelby but in a V-8 form. I really dig the attention to detail that went into those cars from the hood,wheels all the way to the Terlingua embossed shifter. I mean, most of us like the whole idea of owning a Terlingua but with these economic times most of us would rather transform our current mustangs to a Terlingua edition instead of having to go out and buy another car. I mean its not only the fact that we have to buy another car but we have to put insurance on it, make sure we have storage for it,more car payments and so forth. Again, I love the package and the history behind it. Amy, please share you thoughts.

Thanks,

Chris

Ever since I had my once in a life time grand award to attend the Terlingua event in TX I just just can't stop thinking about those Terlingua cars. My question to all including SAI is will there be a conversion program for us that already own a Shelby but in a V-8 form. I really dig the attention to detail that went into those cars from the hood,wheels all the way to the Terlingua embossed shifter. I mean, most of us like the whole idea of owning a Terlingua but with these economic times most of us would rather transform our current mustangs to a Terlingua edition instead of having to go out and buy another car. I mean its not only the fact that we have to buy another car but we have to put insurance on it, make sure we have storage for it,more car payments and so forth. Again, I love the package and the history behind it. Amy, please share you thoughts.

Thanks,

Chris

The question has been asked before and the answer has been consistant...No - V6 only.

Hey Chris-

Yeah, the reasoning behind the terlingua is exactly why they wont do it on a v8.

The point of the car is power in a lighter mustang...the v6 package addresses those who are left out.

The v8 cars already have upgrade packages available to them.

you could sell your v8, buy a used v6 and have it upgraded for just a smidge out of pocket if any at all...

But it would be cool, huh

The orange Terlingua - I think 1P has about 6,000 miles on it. I believe more than 1/2 can be attributed to me. :happy feet: As everyone knows, I wasn't a big fan of a V6 Shelby at all...........until I drove one and feel in love. The car R O C K S!

I really do love the Terlingua in its current V6 form and I think it's the best eye-pleasing Shelby Mustang available today. It's balanced and quick.

But for the record, if SAI does ever decide to build a V8 Terlingua, I would have a friggen stroke as I would have to sell all of Sharon's collectibles to get my hands on one. :hysterical: No really! I'd be at Happy Hocker the next day.

Imagine, essentially a Shelby GT/SC with a Terlingua package! :shift:

May God have mercy on my WAMU bank account should it ever happen. :bandance:

The orange Terlingua - I think 1P has about 6,000 miles on it. I believe more than 1/2 can be attributed to me. :happy feet: As everyone knows, I wasn't a big fan of a V6 Shelby at all...........until I drove one and feel in love. The car R O C K S!

I really do love the Terlingua in its current V6 form and I think it's the best eye-pleasing Shelby Mustang available today. It's balanced and quick.

But for the record, if SAI does ever decide to build a V8 Terlingua, I would have a friggen stroke as I would have to sell all of Sharon's collectibles to get my hands on one. :hysterical: No really! I'd be at Happy Hocker the next day.

Exactly I would love to have my car transformed into a GT/SC Terlingua. I have my car scheduled for next JUNE with BUD to have it become a GT/SC. I wish it could be a GT/SC Terlingua If this ever happens I want to be first :baby: I guess I could make my own GT/SC Terlingua after it gets modded to a SC all I would need is a new hood, front bumber and rear bumper, exhaust, wheels and a few decals and I could have a GT/SC Terlingua. Well, Actually I might be BROKE after I do all that; on second thought PLEASE SHELBY make a mod to turn our GT's into super cars other than the GT/SC upgrade.

Well folks, Robert didn't say NO...... or yes. So, with that said I'll keep my hopes up, I mean the GT500 guys are having all sorts of upgrades and we only a SC upgrade :nonono: Let's see GT500, 40th, Super Snakes 2 versions, 427 packages, KR, I may be missing some but that's a whole lot more than for us SGT guys. Robert, don't worry, as soon as I take my state board RN exam I''l be able to take care of you as RN in case you stroke out :hysterical: Again, half of our car is already done with suspension parts and exhaust so a Terlingua package shouldn't be as much as a V-6 total upgrade. Look, I just like the whole racy look of that dang Terlingua...I'll let you guys at SAI use my SGT as mule.....so what say ya?

I hope not.

You hope not because you already bought your V6 I know you wish it could have been done with a V8. If they do a V8 package there is NO WAY you could keep up with your 6 banger. I wonder if its possible to get a V6 modified to a Terlingua without the supercharger option then after the modd is completed stick a V8 with a kennebell in it.

You hope not because you already bought your V6 I know you wish it could have been done with a V8. If they do a V8 package there is NO WAY you could keep up with your 6 banger. I wonder if its possible to get a V6 modified to a Terlingua without the supercharger option then after the modd is completed stick a V8 with a kennebell in it.

You can opt for the 'base package' which is $10K cheaper than the 'performance package' and doesn't include a blower.

Ken

Not necessarily true. A lot depends on the length of the track,..........and of course, the driver. Gary P has dogged many V8 powered cars on the course.

Not necessarily true. A lot depends on the length of the track,..........and of course, the driver. Gary P has dogged many V8 powered cars on the course.

Robert,

It's funny you mentioned that because every time I tell that story to other mustang owners down here they don't believe me for a second that a V-6 will out run a V-8. Now, I certainly believe that with similar mods our V-8 Shelby should out run a sixer and you are absolutely correct on the fact that it does depend on the driver. Here in Homestead I have seen S197 mustangs with only suspension mods and big brakes run with the boys with SC or TC cars and even some Porsches....how you say? Well, most can't hack it because their SC or TC overheat and the stock mustang is still running nice and cool till the end.

I just the market to convert a V-8 Terlingua is out there, I mean yes we can buy a V-6 and drop a SC in it and not a Terlingua package and save a whole lot of $$$ but it is the history that goes with it that we pay for and want....I'll still keep my hopes up and Robert if you want to use my car as mule the offer stands. Furthermore, many people still don't even know what a Terlingua mustang edition is until I tell and show.

And to tell you most do dig it, after all it is Miami so to have a car that stands out is something special.....

Ok....... I guess I won't discount the 6 banger Terlingua until I see it perform at the speedway at the CS86 Las Vegas Bash. If the car can outperform the V8's on the track then I am in and will buy one. :shift: Then I will have to choose on either getting my GT supercharged or getting a Terlingua. I really do love the look of the Terlingua, plus all those wonderful memories from Terlingua; how could any of us forget.

• 1 month later...

I saw the Terlingua cars keep up with and actually stay ahead of some of the GT500s in the Fast group out on the track at CS86 this year. I tell you what - the Terlingua cars are quick and nimble to the point that they make the track look easy. I understand that it also has to do with the skill of the driver, but WOW was I impressed with them.

After this - I am really interested in a Terlingua car - but the first question that came to mind was if I could simply take a Mustang GT and have the base Terlingua package added to it. This would basically be the Shelby GT, but better!! Call it the Terlingua GT! I would seriously be in the hospital bed next to Robert if they authorized this package!!

Either way - I'm so torn now about what path I want to choose! Build a CS8 with the Paxton S/C and enjoy that sort of exclusivity.. . . . or get in line for a Terlingua car with the performance pack and enjoy the company of that very VERY limited family.

I already know that I'm going to opt for the GT/SC conversion of my Shelby GT - That makes for one bad@$$ car!! But these Terlingua cars are really nothing to scoff at - they really do hold their own out on the track!!

Trevor

Trevor, you are a lucky guy!

The reason that the Terlingua is so great is the light front end (V6) with nearly 400 HP. Sometmes weight can be a bad thing....since you have the V8 S-GT (and getting an S/C), why not get the Terlingua 6? You saw how it kills on the track....

Did you go for a ride in one? We were giving rides in them at the Bash on Saturday, it gave ALOT of folks a real eye-opener on how this car operates!

Is it a rare car? Very

Chris

I didn't go for a ride in one - wish that I would have asked around a little more. That would have been awesome! I'll have to wait until Nationals in Tulsa and ask around at that time to see about getting a ride in one. I'm really sold on the Terlingua car after the Bash and what I saw. They have a really sweet sounding exhaust note too!! There's only been 9 cars built??? Realy? WOW!!

Never thought I'd be so excited about looking for a V6 Mustang :drool:

Good point though - I already have the Shelby "V8" to mess around with in my Shelby GT - this Terlingua car would be a nice addition to the garage and a totally different perspective on the V6 mustang.

We tried to get as many people as possible to either:

1. Be a passenger on a hot lap

2. Pilot one for themselves.

I am happy to say that the responses were all positive and that speaks volumes for the Terlingua. It's a car that once you experience, you'll love. Fred from Ford Motor Company drove Sharons for most of the weekend and did in fact pass GT500s on the LVMS big track.

Archived