TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Head work?

RUFDRAFT

Thanks, Rat -

After talking with Dave at Brenspeed - I won't be having the heads done after all.

He feels it's not needed based on my decision to stay N/A.

But thanks for the effort, hear?

While I'm talking to him, he asks me to hold on for a minute...then I hear an engine revving and revving and revving. When he comes back, he says they had an '06 GT on the dyno. They did a Paxton install - 475 at the wheels! (auto trans) He said he had the car out on a test - and at 50, he matted it - broke the rears loose for 40 feet! He further said it was pushing the envelope on the 4.6 without doing internals.

Funny, I just called him to ask about ideas for my 6, and thought I'd mention head work on a GT to him. He said "That's odd, someone else *just* called and asked me that".

They seem really cool, willing to just talk ideas & options, and show real results from their past work.

Plus my "regular" shop where I take my jeep & the wife's mini van says they're the best - it really says something to me when a mechanic says that of another shop.

- Tony

After talking with Dave at Brenspeed - I won't be having the heads done after all.

He feels it's not needed based on my decision to stay N/A.

So what's the final verdict? Just cams / tune? What about their article with the cams / throttle body / headers / cai / retune?

While I'm talking to him, he asks me to hold on for a minute...then I hear an engine revving and revving and revving. When he comes back, he says they had an '06 GT on the dyno. They did a Paxton install - 475 at the wheels! (auto trans) He said he had the car out on a test - and at 50, he matted it - broke the rears loose for 40 feet! He further said it was pushing the envelope on the 4.6 without doing internals.

That's consistent with what my guys say - about 475 rwhp is about the limit for reliability on the stock engine. Not that you can't get away with more, but anything over that is borrowed time. Of course, 475 capability in the hands of a 22 year old or at the hands of a 38 year old are two different things.

I don't hammer it near as much as I used to, but it's nice to know it's on tap.

Yeah - looks like cams (stage 3 comp cams) - the SCT tune and intake - and throttle body - plus I just ordered the Steeda adj control arm. Then - that's it - no more. . . well, I suppose I need to consider some cross drilled/slotted rotors... but then that would be it. :rockon:

I've been thinking that a 4200 lb Challenger with 425 at the crank isn't for me.

So - we'll spend a little more on the GT and be vewy, vewy quiet while we go hunting for C6's.....

There are a lot of places that sell 'kits' with a few parts and hot flash tune, but many of them are lacking in real engineering. There's are experts who have written some excellent articles on this (one of them also does work for Steeda) and they talk about the shortcuts some kit-hawkers take and why many have serious flaws/problems. If I can find that info again I'll post the link. A marginally/non-engineered kit to pop some HP can yield a pile of scrap metal in the oil pan.

Also, there's emissions to consider. If you swop cams and put on a hot tune, you can swop the stock tune back but it might not pass with the swopped cam -- I've read this is not an uncommon problem. I don't have first hand experience with this but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a while back.

:hysterical:

<edit:> here's a link to an earlier post of mine that links to one of the articles on MAF mapping and why some unknowingly get in trouble. The article talks to a s/c engine ('03 cobra) but the same considerations would seem to be relavant to any change that provides enhanced breating such that MAF mapping might be tempting.

There are a lot of places that sell 'kits' with a few parts and hot flash tune, but many of them are lacking in real engineering. There's are experts who have written some excellent articles on this (one of them also does work for Steeda) and they talk about the shortcuts some kit-hawkers take and why many have serious flaws/problems. If I can find that info again I'll post the link. A marginally/non-engineered kit to pop some HP can yield a pile of scrap metal in the oil pan.

Also, there's emissions to consider. If you swop cams and put on a hot tune, you can swop the stock tune back but it might not pass with the swopped cam -- I've read this is not an uncommon problem. I don't have first hand experience with this but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a while back.

Aw go ahead and take the mufflers off, drive down the street, take a leak on the lawn, rev the motor a few times and when he finally does look, give him the old middle finger. Live a little :rockon:

That's why I love you guys!

We all think alike! :rockon:

Ruff,

Did he say why he would not recommend porting the heads? Reliability issues, etc.? Also, did he give you an idea of how much HP you would get from the combo you mentioned?

Edit: I've read articles on Head, cam, intake, and full exhaust where shops have gotten 370-380 RWHP. Which is somewhere around 420+ HP at the crank. Plenty nuff power to kill a few C6s!

Dave said the stock heads would not restrict these cams at all - so it wasn't necessary.

My tech says he has the new Ford tools to swap the cams without removing the heads.

Yeah - I think Dave said around 375 at the wheels.

I know a lot of people are putting down a lot more - but they're also spending a lot more.

I'm trying to strike a compromise between expense and horsepower.

This package will give me a noticeable bump in power for a lot less money than the blower.

Dave said the stock heads would not restrict these cams at all - so it wasn't necessary.

My tech says he has the new Ford tools to swap the cams without removing the heads.

I know a lot of people are putting down a lot more - but they're also spending a lot more.

This package will give me a noticeable bump in power for a lot less money than the blower.

So he told you cams/tune/t.b. should give you 375 at the wheels? If so, that's pretty impressive with stock exhaust. Or was he figuring in a free breathing setup, i.e., LTs, Off Road exhaust, and muffs, etc?

Hey you could alway s go back later and add the forged internals, and blower. :rockon:

Bryan, are you considering springing for the Kooks all-satinless headers, hi-flow cats and X-pipe? These are slick, especially with the FRP 3-valve heads that flow +30%. Should work nicely even with mild cams that will still idle smooth, permit you pass emissions and keep good milage. ;-)

<just helping you spend your money -- lol>

Man - you guys are a trip!

I know why I started modding cars - I started doing this web site stuff with guys like you!

I think Dave said with headers, and the cams/throttle body/intake/tune we'd be close to 375. I don't remember about the exhaust (I've got the shorty headers and axle back Bassanis now and don't plan to upgrade them). The 4:10's should make it feel like 20-30 hp stronger?

I'll do these mods - then get it on a dyno and then we'll see!

Dan - I'd like the Kooks - but I'm worried about speed bumps. They're all over our campus.

And - to be blunt - I'm out of discretionary income! Stop! :baby:

I know why I started modding cars - I started doing this web site stuff with guys like you!

I think Dave said with headers, and the cams/throttle body/intake/tune we'd be close to 375. I don't remember about the exhaust (I've got the shorty headers and axle back Bassanis now and don't plan to upgrade them). The 4:10's should make it feel like 20-30 hp stronger?

Dan - I'd like the Kooks - but I'm worried about speed bumps. They're all over our campus.

If you hit your target, you'll be 100-125+ H.P. better than stock at the crank. To me, that would be enough to play with on the streets for a long time. Then, when more discretionary funds make themselves available, port the heads, get forged internals and go get that twin turbo setup. Can you say 600+ rwhp? :rockon:

Yes, 09 - I agree. A little more now - a little more later!

Meantime - keep my head above water.

I know some of us have more than others to put into our cars.

I've learned (the hard way) to know when enough - is enough.

Does this mean the blower is out :cry:

Does this mean the blower is out :cry:

I still think the blower is best choice, even though i prefer NA, it's cheaper HP-for-HP, is a well-engineered package, carries a great warranty and is emissions legal in all 50 states. It's be hard, if not impossible, to match ALL of those points with similar $$ NA.

Having said that, where's my '08 Boss!!! :rockon:

Yes, no blower. I can't do $7k at the moment.

Still - I've got a new 07 Back in Black Mac Daddy Mustang that gets respect!

Gonna ride to the Banks tomorrow, baby!

All teasing aside :tease: I think you got yourself an awesome ride. Maybe you should consider some flames and call yourself the Karowliner Kid or sumthin. Sorry man, I was ribbing you agin. Seriously :hysterical: have a good time cruising, listen to Mustang Sally at least once on the way. Like that car :wub:

Since he said that the Heads are not needed with the setup you are running, did he give you an idea of what the gains possibly could be if you went with having the heads done.

I never trust the numbers that the places list when they are selling the item. I like to hear from the pros that have seen the real worl results.

Point taken.

I'll ask him.

Carnut - thanks, bro. I've tried to stay within a budget and still come up with someone unique.

Had a great time today on the Outer Banks with 3 of our members. Check out the Octoberfest thread in the Shelby Gathering Place.

I drove Orf's Shelby. Mama Mia! How I wish I could put the blower on! The car Rips. :rockon:

Point taken.

I'll ask him.

Carnut - thanks, bro. I've tried to stay within a budget and still come up with someone unique.

Had a great time today on the Outer Banks with 3 of our members. Check out the Octoberfest thread in the Shelby Gathering Place.

I drove Orf's Shelby. Mama Mia! How I wish I could put the blower on! The car Rips. :rockon:

It's that s/c torque -- from 1,800rpm... wish I was there today, Bryan :cry:

Archived