TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carbon fiber Replacement??

Hi All - I had an unplanned run-in with a curb and pretty much destroyed the front splitter on my 40th car....I have sent an email to SAI...waiting for reply....but thought I would reach out here to see if any of you know how to acquire replacement pieces of the carbon fiber parts on our cars.

Thanks,

ST

Hi All - I had an unplanned run-in with a curb and pretty much destroyed the front splitter on my 40th car....I have sent an email to SAI...waiting for reply....but thought I would reach out here to see if any of you know how to acquire replacement pieces of the carbon fiber parts on our cars.

Thanks,

ST

Tom,

Did you have the Mark I or Mark II splitter. If you had the Mark I splitter you can no longer get those, you'll automatically get the Mark II. So, for all of you with the rare Mark I splitters, be careful--no longer making.

Stuart

Mark I MarkII

post-7616-1227025504_thumb.jpg

post-7616-1227025535_thumb.jpg

post-7616-1227025504_thumb.jpg

post-7616-1227025535_thumb.jpg

I had a confrontation with a skunk, and while the skunk lost, the splitter was destroyed. I ordered my new splitter from Shelby Performance. $650 plus shipping. I found it one other place, for $500, but decided to stay with Shelby in case of any issues. FWIW.

I also destroyed my Mark I splitter. :doh:

I decided to hang on to it after I installed the Mark II.

My question is: Does anyone fix, or can they be fixed?

A local body shop told me that if it is not damaged to badly that they can be fixed, but it will be very expensive.

What is the difference between the Mark I and Mark II?

A local body shop told me that if it is not damaged to badly that they can be fixed, but it will be very expensive.

What is the difference between the Mark I and Mark II?

Don,

If you look at where it attaches to the wheel well the Mark I is just like the stock splitter and it breaks straight up into the wheel well. On the Mark II, Ford made them alter it a bit so it would infringe on their design (parts have to be 40% different, not to infringe). It has a sweeping radius that sweeps up into the wheel well. Here are some pics (Mark I on the left, Mark II on the right). Hopefully, I explained that ok...

Stuart

post-7616-1227141249_thumb.jpg

post-7616-1227141279_thumb.jpg

post-7616-1227141249_thumb.jpg

post-7616-1227141279_thumb.jpg

Stuart,

I was looking at my cars and noticed that the 40th has the Mark I, and the Super Snake has the Mark II. They both went into Shelby at the same time 1/2/08. Interesting my dear Watson..... :shades: I received the 40th on 3/16 and the Super Snake on 5/3. Maybe that was part of the reason the SS took so long.

Stuart,

I was looking at my cars and noticed that the 40th has the Mark I, and the Super Snake has the Mark II. They both went into Shelby at the same time 1/2/08. Interesting my dear Watson..... :shades: I received the 40th on 3/16 and the Super Snake on 5/3. Maybe that was part of the reason the SS took so long.

Rick,

We took our 40th in on March 1st and picked it up on April 1st. We have the Mark I. So that is consistent. I think the cut over must of occured in the middle of March sometime...

Stuart

Don,

If you look at where it attaches to the wheel well the Mark I is just like the stock splitter and it breaks straight up into the wheel well. On the Mark II, Ford made them alter it a bit so it would infringe on their design (parts have to be 40% different, not to infringe). It has a sweeping radius that sweeps up into the wheel well. Here are some pics (Mark I on the left, Mark II on the right). Hopefully, I explained that ok...

Stuart

Stuart,

You are corrent, they are differences. I just went to my warehouse to look at the Mark I that I took off that had been very slightly damaged and it is clearly different than the Mark II. Who are the slueths that uncover this stuff anyway? This is very interesting and is the stuff that adds to the folklore of our cars. I am curious if Shelby's OASIS system will note the difference when it comes out. Based upon the little information they have given us about the system, I think it will probably be noted. One would think that there will only be 80 or so with the Mark I and fewer SSnakes than that. So, if someone is trying to authenticate your car someday, I guess we better hold on to our original splitters.

I had some minor damage to my original splitter and replaced it when I had the header work done at Quantum. I was planning on fixing the damage and replacing the new splitter with the old so that I could have a pristine one for shows. It looks like I'll be fixing the old and keeping it off except for special occasions.

Thanks for the insite

Don

Stuart,

You are corrent, they are differences. I just went to my warehouse to look at the Mark I that I took off that had been very slightly damaged and it is clearly different than the Mark II. Who are the slueths that uncover this stuff anyway? This is very interesting and is the stuff that adds to the folklore of our cars. I am curious if Shelby's OASIS system will note the difference when it comes out. Based upon the little information they have given us about the system, I think it will probably be noted. One would think that there will only be 80 or so with the Mark I and fewer SSnakes than that. So, if someone is trying to authenticate your car someday, I guess we better hold on to our original splitters.

I had some minor damage to my original splitter and replaced it when I had the header work done at Quantum. I was planning on fixing the damage and replacing the new splitter with the old so that I could have a pristine one for shows. It looks like I'll be fixing the old and keeping it off except for special occasions.

Thanks for the insite

Don

Don,

I had a visit from 07RedGT500 (Bob) and he and I were comparing cars this summer. And, then when we were at Terlingua, I did a little more investigative work. I also had a very informative discussion with Bud to confirm my suspicions... If I were you I would try and fix or just keep the Mark I splitter off the car for the future. I'm thinking about putting the stock splitter on for everyday use and put the Mark I on for car show and events. I certainly hope the new OASIS system and registry will document these various changes--I know that Roger is working hard on the registry.

Don, you are welcome and I hope to see you at CS86. Regards.

Stuart

Don,

I had a visit from 07RedGT500 (Bob) and he and I were comparing cars this summer. And, then when we were at Terlingua, I did a little more investigative work. I also had a very informative discussion with Bud to confirm my suspicions... If I were you I would try and fix or just keep the Mark I splitter off the car for the future. I'm thinking about putting the stock splitter on for everyday use and put the Mark I on for car show and events. I certainly hope the new OASIS system and registry will document these various changes--I know that Roger is working hard on the registry.

Don, you are welcome and I hope to see you at CS86. Regards.

Stuart

It sounds like we should try and fix the orginal if possible. Mine hit the towtruck floor while driving home from SAI (remember we were caught in the storm that closed I-70). I had it replaced three weeks after I picked it up. I may have 2 Mark 1's but I'll check for certain.

By the way Cobrafan, I found a picture of us at Mid-America. It's taken me this long to figure out how to get it uploaded!

Dr. Jon

don__jon.pdf

It sounds like we should try and fix the orginal if possible. Mine hit the towtruck floor while driving home from SAI (remember we were caught in the storm that closed I-70). I had it replaced three weeks after I picked it up. I may have 2 Mark 1's but I'll check for certain.

By the way Cobrafan, I found a picture of us at Mid-America. It's taken me this long to figure out how to get it uploaded!

Dr. Jon

Doc,

Thanks. I've also got some, I'll try to locate. Great shot!

Doc,

Thanks. I've also got some, I'll try to locate. Great shot!

My old spoiler has 2 inches worth of cracking right at the center that goes about half the width. It just looks like cracked glass. Where would someone go to get it fixed? It is a Mark 1. My replacement is also a Mark 1 spoiler. It was ordered the first of April about a week after I picked my car up.

Thanks,

Dr. Jon

My old spoiler has 2 inches worth of cracking right at the center that goes about half the width. It just looks like cracked glass. Where would someone go to get it fixed? It is a Mark 1. My replacement is also a Mark 1 spoiler. It was ordered the first of April about a week after I picked my car up.

Thanks,

Dr. Jon

Doc,

My body shop guy said that a fiberglass guy most likely could fix the small stuff, but it would cost and not match perfectly, but most wouldn't notice. He said his guy could fix it, but recommended I get a new one.

Archived