Those Born

1930-1979

READ TO THE BOTTOM

FOR QUOTE OF THE MONTH

BY JAY LENO.

IF YOU DON'T READ ANYTHING

ELSE---VERY WELL STATED

TO ALL THE

KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked

and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing,

tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids

on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets

and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets,

not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with

no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags..

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm

day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden

hose and NOT from a bottle

We shared one soft drink with four friends,

from one bottle and NO ONE

actually died

from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter

and drank Kool-aid made with sugar,

but we weren't overweight because,

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE

PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,

as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

And we were OK.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps

and then ride down the hill,

only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into the bushes a few times,

we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have

Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes,

no video games at all,

no 150 channels on cable,

no video movies or DVD's,

no surround-sound or CD's,

no cell phones,

no personal computers,

no Internet or chat rooms.......

WE HAD FRIENDS

and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth

and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt,

and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

made up games with sticks and tennis balls and,

although we were told it would happen,

we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and

knocked on the door or rang the bell,

or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and

not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't

had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out

if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced

some of the best risk-takers,

problem solvers and

inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion

of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,

and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them. CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others

who have had the luck to grow up as kids,

before the lawyers and the government

regulated so much of our lives

for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they

will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run

through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

The quote of the month

is

by Jay Leno:

'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control,

mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms

tearing up the country from one end to another,

and with the threat of bird flu

and terrorist attacks,

are we sure this is a good time to take

God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

For those that prefer to think that God is not watching

over us...go ahead and delete this.

For the rest of us...pass this on

[/size]Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm

day was always a special treat.

Oh man, we used to do this all the time, but never on the tail gate. I asked my Dad one time why never on the tail gate, was that just to DANGEROUS ?. He said no, if you sat there I couldn't see around your big head. :banghead: :banghead:

True story.

I can identify with all of that! I would like to add that I am the product of a one room school house, eight rows of kids, eight different grades, one teacher, one oil fired pot bellied stove and bathrooms outside, sack lunches carried to school and water out of a bubbler in rural southern WI. Had a library card and really can't remember how old I was when I got it, just remember always having one. I might add we didn't have TV until 1964. Learned how to learn, read everything and managed to survive and prosper dispite being "disadvantaged".

I believe that these generations of people were unique and that the way things are now have contributed to many of our country's and the worlds problems. For instance we were in the front office myself and 3 employee's talking about missing work. I brought up that in 12 years of working at the dealer I only missed one day and that was because I sprained my ankle so bad I could not get my work boot on.

They thought this was B/S, they were 27,28,and 31 years old. To them missing work and time off is a right and totally normal. Talk about a generation gap!

Thats just one of many things, the smallest nick or scratch and most are down for the count. And when I say scratch I mean scratch. That is what all this crap has done to people of later generations.

Very sad, I try to raise my son "13" to be kind of like we were but there is so much garbage out there that it is almost impossible. All his friends are from the new generation homes. Cars, motorcyles,atv's, football,fishing,hunting,....working all suck to these kids.

This is too long of a subject for this thread, lets just say I agree!

I can identify with all of that! I would like to add that I am the product of a one room school house, eight rows of kids, eight different grades, one teacher, one oil fired pot bellied stove and bathrooms outside, sack lunches carried to school and water out of a bubbler in rural southern WI. Had a library card and really can't remember how old I was when I got it, just remember always having one. I might add we didn't have TV until 1964. Learned how to learn, read everything and managed to survive and prosper dispite being "disadvantaged".

Holy cow! I thought I had it bad in my little country school of K-8th, 100 kids, 2 grades per classroom. Well, I did have my mom as my teacher for 7th and 8th grade. I think I've got you beat there. Boy, did that suck.

I believe that these generations of people were unique and that the way things are now have contributed to many of our country's and the worlds problems. For instance we were in the front office myself and 3 employee's talking about missing work. I brought up that in 12 years of working at the dealer I only missed one day and that was because I sprained my ankle so bad I could not get my work boot on.

They thought this was B/S, they were 27,28,and 31 years old. To them missing work and time off is a right and totally normal. Talk about a generation gap!

Thats just one of many things, the smallest nick or scratch and most are down for the count. And when I say scratch I mean scratch. That is what all this crap has done to people of later generations.

Very sad, I try to raise my son "13" to be kind of like we were but there is so much garbage out there that it is almost impossible. All his friends are fron the new generation homes. Cars, motorcyles,atv's, football,fishing,hunting,....working all suck to these kids.

This is too long of a subject for this thread, lets just say I agree!

+1 Work ethic these days is in the toilet. I grew up on a farm. Working sun up to sun down was a normal occurrence all summer, every summer. During harvest, we often worked until 11:00 pm or midnight. During the school year, I went to school, then came straight home to work on the farm until dinner time (usually about 8:00 pm). If I was sick, maybe dad would let me sleep in an extra hour, but that's it, unless I was bleeding from an orifice.

When I got out on my own, I was thrilled to get an 8-5 job. It was like working a 1/2 day. I'm not as hardcore as you when it comes to sick days, but I usually only miss 1 or 2 days a year. One of my employees runs out of sick days around August every year. Pathetic.

So TRUE..........

I can't believe he did not mention "LAWN DARTS".......................... :happy feet:

Remember those........Huge Two Foot Darts with Sharp Metal Tips.

David.

Ouch! I remember them! In the hands of the limited intelligence more deadly than a .50 caliber! But for most normal people not a problem! :hysterical:

So TRUE..........

I can't believe he did not mention "LAWN DARTS".......................... :happy feet:

Remember those........Huge Two Foot Darts with Sharp Metal Tips.

David.

I LOVED lawn darts. My brother and I would play Lawn Mumblety Peg.

1. Place the hoops about 30 feet apart.

2. Each player stands inside his respective hoop.

3. Take turns throwing the darts, trying to get as close to the other player as possible.

4. Thrown darts must be thrown in an arc that is at least a high as the other player.

5. First player to move loses.

I've got some nice scars from that game.

This is all so true. I used to ride my bike miles and miles away from my home. I'd be gone for hours and hours. My parents had no worries. I'd even come home hurt a bit but they just patched me up and sent me on my way. When my kids were younger, if they were out of eye sight for any real amount of time I would freak out. It's a different world. There are more jack asses out there that want to take what is ours, including our kids, and ruin them in many ways. I tried not to be that way but then you would hear something else about some sicko that was doing this and that to kids and it just put that thought back in your mind. It's all the communications we have that have done this to us. It was most likely always there but we just never knew because it wasn't splashed all over one of our 5 household tvs all the time.

Sometimes I think that technology has made us weak and lazy. We don't have to think anymore, just look it up on Google or Yahoo. The answer to everything is always there. Don't even ask anyone to add a couple of numbers together without a calculator. Who needs to walk over to someones house, just dial them up on the cell and they are always at your beck and call. Hey, I'm just as bad as anyone when it comes to using all the nice, new gadgets that are out.

I don't really like this stuff that much. I preferred being out of touch and not at everyones finger tips. Every once in a while I even add and multiply without a calulator, just to be sure that I even remember how. Then, I actually walk over to a friends house to say hi or just to chat. No texting, no emailing, actually face to face with them just for the hell of it.

Guest markham51

Great article. We forget with all of the conveniences we have today how things were when we grew up.

I grew up in rural Canada where we worked on the farm both before and after school each day from the time I was 8 years old. We walked 2 miles each way to and from school each day no matter the weather. We didn't have an indoor bathroom; we had to walk through the snow to an outhouse even when it was 50 below zero. A bath was taken in a metal tub with water you hauled in from the well.

On a farm with livestock you never get a day off. I remember after college I got my first full time job. It took over a year to earn my first holidays. I went back to the farm and worked for the full two weeks to make extra cash. Sick days...what were those? I remember a couple of days on the farm when I had a hangover...but livestock had to eat and drink every day. I had better stop....I'm sounding old even to me!

We never felt hard done by! Our parents and grandparents had it even harder than we did.

Oh yes, and when you told a lie or did something wrong you got the living sh%&t kicked out of you at home by your parents and the teacher strapped you silly at school in front of everyone.

If you got in trouble at school you would get the paddle and when your father came home from work and found out he would side with the teacher and give you the belt across the rear end.

If you got in trouble at school you would get the paddle and when your father came home from work and found out he would side with the teacher and give you the belt across the rear end.

When I was in High School, you could get the paddle AT school. I forgot my watch in my gym locker one day. The coach told me - not my job to make sure you clean your locker out every day - do that one more time and you will get a swat. Well, about a week later I did it again - and he followed through with his promise. MAN that hurt. He would give a swat with one of those paddle ball paddles - with holes drilled in it. I can tell ya - I didnt forget my watch anymore :)

Try and do that in public school today and there would be a law suit.

Great article. We forget with all of the conveniences we have today how things were when we grew up.

I grew up in rural Canada where we worked on the farm both before and after school each day from the time I was 8 years old. We walked 2 miles each way to and from school each day no matter the weather. We didn't have an indoor bathroom; we had to walk through the snow to an outhouse even when it was 50 below zero. A bath was taken in a metal tub with water you hauled in from the well.

On a farm with livestock you never get a day off. I remember after college I got my first full time job. It took over a year to earn my first holidays. I went back to the farm and worked for the full two weeks to make extra cash. Sick days...what were those? I remember a couple of days on the farm when I had a hangover...but livestock had to eat and drink every day. I had better stop....I'm sounding old even to me!

We never felt hard done by! Our parents and grandparents had it even harder than we did.

Oh yes, and when you told a lie or did something wrong you got the living sh%&t kicked out of you at home by your parents and the teacher strapped you silly at school in front of everyone.

Wow does that sound familiar other than we did have inside plumbing on the farm. My dad managed 5 dairy farms so there was never a day off or to many holidays to speak of, always had food on the table a warm bed to sleep in & parents that made you mind & loved you.

Bicycles, yeah right, those were for getting to school. I spent my entire life savings (my Mom was seriously cool) and lawn mowing money on a old Yamaha YZ 60, gas and parts, and we were gone all day riding by ourselves, hilarious when I think about it. Man I must have burned hundreds of gallons of gas and 2 stroke oil by age 10. We also learned how to fix them dang things with my old mans tools and a book. I learned how to shoot a 410 shotgun when I was in Kindergarden haha!! That stuff would never fly now. Progress is a strange notion indeed...cool post.

Which had me thinking just today before I read this, why is it a kid needs a booster seat and seatbelt in a car, but not when the city picks up a kid everyday in the schoolbus? Doh! :hysterical:

Bicycles, yeah right, those were for getting to school. I spent my entire life savings (my Mom was seriously cool) and lawn mowing money on a old Yamaha YZ 60, gas and parts, and we were gone all day riding by ourselves, hilarious when I think about it. Man I must have burned hundreds of gallons of gas and 2 stroke oil by age 10. We also learned how to fix them dang things with my old mans tools and a book. I learned how to shoot a 410 shotgun when I was in Kindergarden haha!! That stuff would never fly now. Progress is a strange notion indeed...cool post.

Which had me thinking just today before I read this, why is it a kid needs a booster seat and seatbelt in a car, but not when the city picks up a kid everyday in the schoolbus? Doh! :hysterical:

Agreed. Why revel in the past at what we didn't have. Enjoy the new things technology has brought us.

You missed it! It isn't what we didn't have...it is what we did have!

We had parents that believe being a parent was how to do it, not being a friend, our parents taught us the importance of doing a job to the best of our ability, our parents taught us humility, our parents taught us how to deal with failure and how to turn it into successes, most importantly our parents taught us the value of family. Of the 100 + employees where I work there is only one stay at home mom, the rest are working their but off so they can "give" their children all they want. Seams to me they are missing the important thing.

Archived