TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1967 Shelby Horn Button Question

owenkelley

For those of you with '67 Shelbys, does your horn button say GT500 or GT350 on it? We've owned our '67 GT500 for over 26 years and I am certain my horn button emblem is original, but recently I read something that said the originals did not say GT500 on them. Ours does. What does yours say?

For those of you with '67 Shelbys, does your horn button say GT500 or GT350 on it? We've owned our '67 GT500 for over 26 years and I am certain my horn button emblem is original, but recently I read something that said the originals did not say GT500 on them. Ours does. What does yours say?

Hello,

I believe the original horn button emblems were supposed to carry the GT350 or GT500 designation. I am fortunate to own the very first production GT500 built by Shelby American. It was an "Engineering" car that was also used for public relations. It is the red GT500 that was road tested in the February 1967 issues of Car and Driver and Road and Track and the March 1967 issue of Sports Car Graphic. The Sports Car Graphic article includes a photo of the steering wheel and dash. The horn button emblem in this photo does include the GT500 designation.

I suppose it is possible that some cars may have received horn button emblems that did not carry the GT350 or GT500 designation and only said Shelby Cobra. This may have been due to a supply issue with the vendor.

Thanks,

Eric

Hello,

I believe the original horn button emblems were supposed to carry the GT350 or GT500 designation. I am fortunate to own the very first production GT500 built by Shelby American. It was an "Engineering" car that was also used for public relations. It is the red GT500 that was road tested in the February 1967 issues of Car and Driver and Road and Track and the March 1967 issue of Sports Car Graphic. The Sports Car Graphic article includes a photo of the steering wheel and dash. The horn button emblem in this photo does include the GT500 designation.

I suppose it is possible that some cars may have received horn button emblems that did not carry the GT350 or GT500 designation and only said Shelby Cobra. This may have been due to a supply issue with the vendor.

Thanks,

Eric

Shelby #3000 has GT350 on the horn button.

Jim

• 2 months later...

Archived