TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Bumper Observation

one_quik_pony

As I was driving home yesterday, I saw the rear end of a Mustang GT/CS on the freeway. I thought to myself "Hmmm, that looks very nice from the back", and realized that I got a completely different rear bumper on my Hertz, than the Shelby GT, GT/CS, and GT500 guys...and I like theirs better :cry:

GTH:post-21656-1226762025_thumb.jpg

Others:post-21656-1226762118_thumb.jpg

Why did this happen?

By the way, does Shelby also put together the GT/CS? IIRC, that was a Ford dealership thing out of California...back in the day.

post-21656-1226762025_thumb.jpg

post-21656-1226762118_thumb.jpg

I'm not positive, but I'm not sure if Shelby had the Shebly GT rear bumper designed at the time that the Hertz cars came out for 2006, or perhaps they did not have enough of them available yet at the time that they built the Hertz cars. Perhaps Bud or somebody may chime in that know for sure.

Shelby GT's started life in Flint, MI as Mustang GT's w/ the California Special (CS) package and rear spoiler delete. So, they have the CS front lower valence (front spoiler) and rear bumper cover.

I didn't realize until you posed this that the Hertz cars were different in this way. Do the Hertz cars have the CS lower valence?

The GT/CS package was first offered during the 2007 model year and they are built by Ford. The rear bumper cover may not have been available when Shelby built the GT-H cars during the 2006 model year.

In the pictures I've seen the GT-H cars were standard GT's and Shelby installed the GT/CS front bumper cover, side scoops and 3.55 gears. For the Shelby GT's Ford installed the "54U GT Upfitters Package" at the assembly plant in Flat Rock, MI. The 54U package included the GT/CS front and rear bumper covers, side scoops, spoiler delete, 3.55 gears and the 18" wheels and tires.

Archived