TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Removal of intercooler from 20 cylinder natural gas engine

Here's what I did today at work. My camera died before I could get any shots of the intercooler actually off of the top of the engine.

I thought some of you gearheads might get a kick out of seeing this kind of heavy metal.

These 4 engines produce electricity for an entire Indian reservation in Northern California.

The engines' generators produce a total of 4 MW.

What you see pictured here is part of an engine's 20,000 hour service.

Pic 1 - 11-20 bank of the engine, with gas train overhead

Pic 2 - inlet side of intercooler, where turbocharger normally sits (removed yesterday)

Pic 3 - 1-10 bank of the engine (large metal tubes above are the cold air intake tubes)

Pic 4 - engine vibration dampers and turbocharger cool down oil pump

Pic 5 - carburetor cone (from the inside of the gasmixer)

Pic 6 - picking the intercooler off the top of the engine for cleaning

Ken

post-20883-1226364427_thumb.jpg

post-20883-1226364436_thumb.jpg

post-20883-1226364512_thumb.jpg

post-20883-1226364551_thumb.jpg

post-20883-1226364588_thumb.jpg

post-20883-1226364627_thumb.jpg

Here's what I did today at work. My camera died before I could get any shots of the intercooler actually off of the top of the engine.

I thought some of you gearheads might get a kick out of seeing this kind of heavy metal.

These 4 engines produce electricity for an entire Indian reservation in Northern California.

The engines' generators produce a total of 4 MW.

What you see pictured here is part of an engine's 20,000 hour service.

Pic 1 - 11-20 bank of the engine, with gas train overhead

Pic 2 - inlet side of intercooler, where turbocharger normally sits (removed yesterday)

Pic 3 - 1-10 bank of the engine (large metal tubes above are the cold air intake tubes)

Pic 4 - engine vibration dampers and turbocharger cool down oil pump

Pic 5 - carburetor cone (from the inside of the gasmixer)

Pic 6 - picking the intercooler off the top of the engine for cleaning

Ken

that will be nice engine for shelbydude dream lime green shelby (his avatar)....lol

great job...thx for sharing the pics.

that will be nice engine for shelbydude dream lime green shelby (his avatar)....lol

great job...thx for sharing the pics.

LOL ya it sure is green.. REALLY green hehe

He might need a railcar to haul his engine in, but it'd sure be lots o' torque! ;)

Ken

You know what engine that is, WAUKISHAW, JOHN DEERE???????????????????

It's a GE Jenbacher 320 PIAB.

They're built in an Austrian village named Jenbach.

The big difference between these and a Waukesha is that these operate on a lean-burn principle, whereas the 'Thunderin Pumpkins' (Waukeshas) operate on a rich-burn principle.

These are most similar to a Deutz or Wärtsilä engine. Jenbacher engines are huge in Europe, but there aren't many of them on this side of the pond.

Ken

EDIT: You can read all about them at my website:www.ahmann-energy.com (shameless plug) ;)

Interesting as I have worked on simular size large Diesel Engines and smaller Natural

Gas and Diesel Engines.........The one in your pics is John Deere Green................

It's actually it's own 'GE Jenbacher green', which is much closer to Steiger green.

Deeres are a little more NEON than these LOL..

Ken

Archived