TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Obama plans Guantanamo close, US trials

I don't think its a good idea to bring the terrorists here. If there must be a "change", they should be tried in Iraq where they came from.

http://current.com/items/89512807_obama_pl...close_us_trials

Either way, this needs to be resolved. It's really a disgrace to keep people in cages this long without a trial or conviction. It goes against everything we fight for and strive for as a nation.

I'm curious if he can do this. In the past base closures were identified and approved by Congress.

He can't, it will take congress' involvement unfortunately it's kind of a one-sided affair. I'm not a lawyer but if they move the detainees here we limit our ability to affectively "utilize" them and they may be allowed to have citizen rights. This is why (I believe) we have the confinement facility on other than U.S. soil.

Either way, this needs to be resolved. It's really a disgrace to keep people in cages this long without a trial or conviction. It goes against everything we fight for and strive for as a nation.

Enemy (unlawful) combatants are (within the law) able to be treated in a different manner than U.S. citizens or prisoners of war. Click/copy/paste on the link below for an interesting article that explains this.

“According to Defense Secretary Rumsfeld, the Taliban and al Qaeda fighters currently being held captive at the United States Naval Base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, are not prisoners of war, but "unlawful combatants." What's the difference?

The short answer is that a prisoner of war is entitled to the protections set forth in the 1949 Geneva Convention. In contrast, an unlawful combatant is a fighter who does not play by the accepted rules of war, and therefore does not qualify for the Convention's protections”.

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dorf/20020123.html

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dorf/20020123.html

I agree with you that they should get a fair trial as soon as possible.

I respect your opinion and I think you have a good point, however, we are playing by the rules of law, something those interned there are not interested in doing

He can't, it will take congress' involvement unfortunately it's kind of a one-sided affair. I'm not a lawyer but if they move the detainees here we limit our ability to affectively "utilize" them and they may be allowed to have citizen rights. This is why (I believe) we have the confinement facility on other than U.S. soil.

I think the article is referring to just closing the prison camp, not the whole GTMO Naval base, which is a lot more than the prison.

The President probably has the authority to close the prison without congressional approval--not saying I would agree with it.

I don't think its a good idea to bring the terrorists here. If there must be a "change", they should be tried in Iraq where they came from.

He can't turn his Back on his Friends.

I Agree

Their the ENEMY...period!

They are currently being housed on "our dime"

They'll be tried and convicted on "our dime"

They be imprisoned on "our dime"

They had no misgivings about attacking us

They care less about us

There's only ONE God for crying out loud

Time for old fashion firing squad....it's cheaper...

JMO!

Daily we have to take service members from their current units and send them down there for security and other purposes. Seriously reducing manning strengths where they need to be. Same for Iraq. It's killing us to no end.

Wow....that last comment just scares me.

And that is how the world thinks we are....cryin shame.

I am all for terroristist mistreatment! They dont deserve squat...

But it has been 6 years, and shoe on the other foot...if our guys were being held that long....

Just what IF a couple of those people are completely innocent? A review is in order any way you look at it.

That is not the message I want to send out to the rest of the world....what we are doing SCREAMS hypocracy.

But it has been 6 years, and shoe on the other foot...if our guys were being held that long....

Just what IF a couple of those people are completely innocent? A review is in order any way you look at it.

That is not the message I want to send out to the rest of the world....what we are doing SCREAMS hypocracy.

:beerchug:

I hear what you're saying but to tell you the truth, I have more faith in our current administration following the rule of law than I have for the media telling us the whole story THAT is what scares me.

I absolutely am a defender of our 1st amendment but the media appears to have voluntarily abandoned all journalistic principals so we can't really tell WHAT the truth is anymore! They just tell you what they want you to know (or not) instead of reporting the news.

:doh: They didn't come from Iraq, they came from Afghanistan and Pakistan. A few were legitimate terrorists, some were Taliban fighters, most of the rest were rounded up on a bounty the US put out. Which in that part of the world is the equivalent of small fortune. You see someone who is a foreigner you don't know or someone you don't like; turn in them in for the bounty.

:doh: They didn't come from Iraq, they came from Afghanistan and Pakistan. A few were legitimate terrorists, some were Taliban fighters, most of the rest were rounded up on a bounty the US put out. Which in that part of the world is the equivalent of small fortune. You see someone who is a foreigner you don't know or someone you don't like; turn in them in for the bounty.

Other member's who're directly involved in the process, (like Darkside), have stated in other threads that what you claim is not accurate.

I'm curious if he can do this. In the past base closures were identified and approved by Congress.

The "base" is not closing, it's been there for a hundred years and needs to be there for our lease to stay valid, any talk is just ab out shutting down the detention facility and that he can do.

I think the article is referring to just closing the prison camp, not the whole GTMO Naval base, which is a lot more than the prison.

The President probably has the authority to close the prison without congressional approval--not saying I would agree with it.

+ 1 LOL...you beat me!

I respect your opinion and I think you have a good point, however, we are playing by the rules of law, something those interned there are not interested in doing

And how do you, or we, know that? Because our benevolent government tells us so? Isn't this the kind of thing we fought against in how many wars? We have to play by the law, or really what's the point?

And how do you, or we, know that? Because our benevolent government tells us so? Isn't this the kind of thing we fought against in how many wars? We have to play by the law, or really what's the point?

So what do you propose, Jeff? Do you want to try these people in open court with the same rights as American citizens, and expose our intelligence gathering assets/methods to the media so the enemy can learn and adapt from or to them?

So what do you propose, Jeff? Do you want to try these people in open court with the same rights as American citizens, and expose our intelligence gathering assets/methods to the media so the enemy can learn and adapt from or to them?

I don't propose anything, who the heck am I, but I do know we need to do something! This is the United States of America!

+100

Archived