TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Happy Birthday Marine Corp

Happy Birthday Devil Dogs, 233 years young and still serving our nation throughout the World.

-----------:party2: :party: :party2: :party: :party2:

Read General James T. Conway's 2008 birthday message to the Marine Corps.

"ON OUR 233RD BIRTHDAY, FIRST REMEMBER THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED AND

THOSE "ANGELS" WHO HAVE FALLEN - OUR REPUTATION WAS BUILT ON THEIR

SACRIFICES. REMEMBER OUR FAMILIES; THEY ARE THE UNSUNG HEROES WHOSE

SUPPORT AND DEDICATION ALLOW US TO ANSWER OUR NATION'S CALL.

FINALLY, TO ALL MARINES AND SAILORS, KNOW THAT I AM PROUD OF YOU AND

WHAT YOU DO. YOUR SUCCESSES ON THE BATTLEFIELD HAVE ONLY ADDED TO

OUR ILLUSTRIOUS HISTORY. GENERAL VICTOR H. "BRUTE" KRULAK SAID IT

BEST WHEN HE WROTE, "... THE UNITED STATES DOES NOT NEED A MARINE

CORPS ... THE UNITED STATES WANTS A MARINE CORPS." YOUR ACTIONS, IN

IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN, AND ACROSS THE GLOBE, ARE AT THE CORE OF WHY

AMERICA LOVES HER MARINES.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARINES AND SEMPER FIDELIS!

JAMES T. CONWAY,

GENERAL, U.S. MARINE CORPS, COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS"

Now, let's hear your best OOH-RAH!!!

Semper Fi,

Jay

USMC 1983-1987

--------------------------------------4marine.jpg

--------------------------05cake.jpg

--------------------------Tun Tavern, Philadelphia 1775

--------------------------2593091547_b73e898876.jpg

SEMPER -FI

Happy Birthday to ALL Marines

USMCR 73-75

ANG 76-78

This video brought back some awesome memories of bootcamp check it out.

When I went threw Bootcamp at SanDiego they did not have the CRUCIBLE THEN. I also called my Son Inlaw and wished him a happy B-day he was active Marines. My two older brothers also wished them a happy Bday. They both served in Vietnam 1st Marine Division. One was a machine gunner and the oldest one was a Forward observer.( Radio Guy) who went on 4 operations over there in Nam.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?...yContent=178787

That's right...we're the Men's Department! :hysterical:

Who comes to the wounded Marine's aide when injured often times while under fire? The Navy Hospital Corpsman!!!

So you believe that you are better than your fellow women Marines on active doing conveys in Iraq and men and women in other branches of the AF?

First it's one political party is better than the other... now it's the "Men" in the Marines that are better than the women

in the Marines and other services...

EPIPHANY TIME AGAIN:

There are great people doing great things that spans all walks of life across the globe, in all types of industry verticals... they cross political lines, gender and religous barriers, etc...

In my lifetime, I have had the pleasure to serve under some of them and learn from their leadership styles, as well as opportunity to pass on some of the qualities and traits they've taught me.

There's people who we can all look up to... across the table... and then there's... well... the likes of you and your type and their dreaded misguided "Superiortiy" (a feeling of inferiority is what drives it) complex.

You guys are freakin' :wacko:

That's because we're too great for just one thread. After all...we ain't Navy! :hysterical:

It's "we aren't "... not "we ain't"

Are you sure your MENSA score was 140 vice 041?

I'm beginning to think you may have that backwards...

In the event you're dyslexic, my bad... no harm, no foul.... SHIPMATE!!!

R/ FUFA Posse

That's right...we're the Men's Department! :hysterical:

LOL!!! I love this stuff....its all in good fun.....I got some....

What does Marines stand for?

Marines

Always

Ride

In

Navy

Equipment

Sir

M- Muscles

A- are

R- required

I- intelligence

N- not

E- expected,

S- Sir

A- Ain't a

R- real

M- Marine

Y- yet.

N- Never

A- again

V- volunteer

Y- yourself

An airman in a bar leans over to the guy next to him and says, "Wanna hear a MARINE joke?"

The guy next to him replies, "Well, before you tell that joke, you should know something. I'm 6' tall, 200 lbs, and I'm a MARINE. The guy sitting next to me is 6'2" tall, weighs 225, and he's a MARINE. The fella next to him is 6'5" tall, weighs 250, and he's also a MARINE. Now, you still wanna tell that joke?" The Airman says, "Nah, I don't want to have to explain it three times."

Oh and this is a classic, always remember that in the ocean, Squids always $hit$ on Marine life... :hysterical:

Look, before anyone gets all offended, I have spent my whole time with Marines as a Navy Corpsman and we always go back and forth but in reality we have always and still look out for each other. So if someone is offended I apologize in advance and will remove anything if asked to do so but please keep in mind that we are all adults and it is good to have a laugh......

It's "we aren't "... not "we ain't"

Are you sure your MENSA score was 140 vice 041?

I'm beginning to think you may have that backwards...

In the event you're dyslexic, my bad... no harm, no foul.... SHIPMATE!!!

R/ FUFA Posse

Actually, it would be, "we are not" if you want to be anally proper. Perhaps the concept of casual writing is beyond your capability to understand? Perhaps you added a digit to your IQ score or the scale was 0 - 300? It must be one or the other considering your reading comprehension skills for I have never claimed that I was a member of MENSA. Also, MENSA administers standard tests: therefore, it is not their score to give.

:lol:

Marines

Always

Ride

In

Navy

Equipment

Sir

M- Muscles

A- are

R- required

I- intelligence

N- not

E- expected,

S- Sir

A- Ain't a

R- real

M- Marine

Y- yet.

N- Never

A- again

V- volunteer

Y- yourself

An airman in a bar leans over to the guy next to him and says, "Wanna hear a MARINE joke?"

The guy next to him replies, "Well, before you tell that joke, you should know something. I'm 6' tall, 200 lbs, and I'm a MARINE. The guy sitting next to me is 6'2" tall, weighs 225, and he's a MARINE. The fella next to him is 6'5" tall, weighs 250, and he's also a MARINE. Now, you still wanna tell that joke?" The Airman says, "Nah, I don't want to have to explain it three times."

Oh and this is a classic, always remember that in the ocean, Squids always $hit$ on Marine life... :hysterical:

Look, before anyone gets all offended, I have spent my whole time with Marines as a Navy Corpsman and we always go back and forth but in reality we have always and still look out for each other. So if someone is offended I apologize in advance and will remove anything if asked to do so but please keep in mind that we are all adults and it is good to have a laugh......

Being a Corpsman makes you my favorite! Thank you so much.

And in the spirit of seeing humor from another's side:

Why do they station Marines on a Navy ship?

Because sheep are too obvious.

An Army dog told me that one repeatedly when I was on the police department. It must have been short term memory loss from all the drugs.

Dutch Marines Corps was founded on 10 December 1665 during the Second Anglo-Dutch War by the unofficial leader of the republic Johan de Witt and Admiral Michiel de Ruyter as the Regiment de Marine. Its leader was Willem Joseph Baron van Ghent. The Dutch had successfully used ordinary soldiers in ships at sea in the First Anglo-Dutch War. It was the fifth European Marine unit formed, being preceded by the Spanish Marines (1537), the Portuguese Marines (1610), the French Marines (1622) and the British Royal Marines (1664). Like Britain, the Netherlands has had several periods when its Marines were disbanded. The Netherlands itself was under French occupation or control from 1810 until 1813. A new Marine unit was raised on 20 March 1801 during the time of the Batavian Republic and on 14 August 1806 the Korps Koninklijke Grenadiers van de Marine was raised under King Louis Bonaparte. The modern Korps Mariniers dates from 1814, receiving its current name in 1817.

The battle honors on the Korps Mariniers' colors are: Chatham (1667), Kijkduin (1673), Sennefe (1674), Spain, Dogger Bank (1781), West Indies, Algiers (1816), Atjeh, Bali, Rotterdam (1940), Java Sea (1942), Java and Madoera (1947-1948), and New Guinea (1962).

In 1667, led by van Ghent, now an admiral, and their new commander, the Englishman Colonel Thomas Dolman, the Regiment de Marine played a prominent part in the large Dutch raid, the "Raid on the Medway" on England (10-14 June). The Korps' battle honor "Chatham" is one of the few ever won on British soil by a foreign unit. The July 2nd attack on Landguard fort near Harwich, performed by 1.500 Mariniers after landing at Woodrich was beaten off by the fort's garrison.

The Mariniers also fought in the Franco-Dutch War/Third Anglo-Dutch War. On June 29 1672, after serving in the naval Battle of Solebay (7 June), two-thirds of the Marines were withdrawn from the fleet and formed into a brigade in order to stiffen the inefficient and largely mercenary army in anticipation of an English invasion. They returned to their ships in time to help stop an English invasion by defeating a combined English and French force at the naval Battle of Kijkduin (Battle of Texel) on 21 August 1673. Led by Gerolf van Isselmuyden, they served in the land battle of Senef against the French in 1674.

Dutch support of American independence led to the Fourth Anglo-Dutch War, where the Mariniers served at Dogger Bank.

In 1704, Netherlands Marines were part of a combined British-Netherlands force under Prince George of Hesse-Darmstadt that captured Gibraltar and defended it successfully shortly afterwards. They would combine with the British again for the bombardment of Algiers in 1816.

The Korps Mariniers served in some of the operations of the Netherlands in the Dutch East Indies colony. The Netherlands took a slow approach to conquering the entire colony and operations consolidating their rule lasted from the 1850s until shortly before World War I. The battle honors from the Aceh War (1873-1913) and Bali date from this time.

In World War II, a Korps Mariniers unit in Rotterdam preparing to ship out to the Dutch East Indies successfully defended the bridges across the Maas, preventing the German paratroopers in the central city from hooking up with conventional German infantry. The Germans ended the stalemate by bombing Rotterdam. The threat of an attack by Marines caused its German captain to scuttle the Antilla in Aruba in 1940.

When the surrender was declared and the Dutch soldiers came out of their positions, the German commander who was expecting a full battalion of men was stunned to see only a few Dutch Marines emerge in their black uniforms. He ordered his men to salute them out of respect for their bravery and determination and labelled them Zwarte duivels (The Black Devils).

Some Mariniers later joined the Princess Irene Brigade to fight against the Germans. They distinguished themselves in combat near the Dutch city of Tilburg in the autumn of 1944.

Starting in 1943, the United States Marine Corps trained and equipped a new brigade, the Mariniersbrigade, of the Korps Mariniers at Camp Lejeune and Camp Davis in North Carolina in preparation for amphibious landings against the Japanese in the Dutch East Indies. The Japanese surrendered before such landings were needed, but the Mariniersbrigade, fully trained and equipped, left North Carolina in six transports in 1945 and fought against the Indonesians in their National Revolution for independence. It was part of the A Division, which was itself commanded by a Korps Mariniers officer. It was disbanded in 1949.

The Dutch kept West New Guinea after the Indonesian National Revolution and the Korps Mariniers served there until 1962 when it was granted independence. The same year it was invaded and incorporated into Indonesia.

[edit] Modern Korps Mariniers

On 11 June 1977, Dutch Army and Marines stormed a train that was being held hostage since 23 May by armed South Moluccan extremists in the village of De Punt, in the province of Drenthe. Six Dutch Air Force F-104 Starfighters buzzed the train as a diversion just before the assault. Six terrorists and two hostages were killed in the storming. The Marines have become one of the Dutch government's primary counter-terrorism forces. (See "Combat Support Battalion" below.)

Lately the Marines have been deployed in various operations all over the world.

18 feb 1992 - 18 November 1993: United Nations Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNTAC).

Three Battalion of Marines and a Navy field hospital (FDS)were stationed in Cambodia following the 1991 Paris peace treaty when the civil war was ended.

1995 - present: Former Yugoslavia, Bosnia, Kosovo.

28 July 2000 - 7 February 2003: United Nations Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE).

11 January 2002 - present: deployment in Afghanistan.

Marines have been deployed in Afghanistan as part of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) on several occasions. The second battalion with the field hospital was deployed in Mazar-e Sharif in 2005 to provide security during the elections. Marines and Navy personnel were also stationed in the Provincial Reconstruction Team in pol-e-Khomri, province of Baghlan. They took over from the Dutch Airforce and Army in 2005 and were relieved in October 2006 when Hungarian forces took over. Currently Marines are serving in Uruzgan as NLD Operational Mentor and Liaisons Team, for recruiting and training new military personnel of the Afghan National Army in the Uruzgan province. Training takes place at Kamp Holland, Tarin Kowt.

Who comes to the wounded Marine's aide when injured often times while under fire? The Navy Hospital Corpsman!!!

So you believe that you are better than your fellow women Marines on active doing conveys in Iraq and men and women in other branches of the AF?

First it's one political party is better than the other... now it's the "Men" in the Marines that are better than the women

in the Marines and other services...

EPIPHANY TIME AGAIN:

There are great people doing great things that spans all walks of life across the globe, in all types of industry verticals... they cross political lines, gender and religous barriers, etc...

In my lifetime, I have had the pleasure to serve under some of them and learn from their leadership styles, as well as opportunity to pass on some of the qualities and traits they've taught me.

There's people who we can all look up to... across the table... and then there's... well... the likes of you and your type and their dreaded misguided "Superiortiy" (a feeling of inferiority is what drives it) complex.

You guys are freakin' :wacko:

Uh oh, looks like someone didn't get issued a sense of humor in bootcamp. There was never any disrespect intended, especially considering I am currently serving on a US Navy warship, I have plenty of Navy friends, and my grandfather served in WWII as an AD2 (powerplants) in the Navy. One more thing, I have served with many great Americans, some men, some women, some religious, some not, and with people from all the different services including the Coast Guard (yep, they are also in the Persian Gulf). Some of these people are no longer around today and I will always hold them in the highest regard as the true hero's since the real hero's are the one's who don't come home. In the end, we all bleed the same color and whether they are Americans or our allies I will always support and be proud of everyone of them. I will toast the Navy, Air Force, Army and Coast Gaurd on their respective brithdays just as I know they would toast me on my birthday (after all, I am pretty lucky since I get to celebrate two birthdays a year!). Maybe it is easy to judge me from one comment but I would hope I am not that easy to figure out?!

Marines

Always

Ride

In

Navy

Equipment

Sir

M- Muscles

A- are

R- required

I- intelligence

N- not

E- expected,

S- Sir

A- Ain't a

R- real

M- Marine

Y- yet.

N- Never

A- again

V- volunteer

Y- yourself

Haha, some good ones there. I see a corpsman did come to my aid...as usual! I got one for you that you left out. Have you looked up squid in the dictionary? A lower form of Marine life! :hysterical:

Dutch Marines Corps was founded on 10 December 1665 during the Second Anglo-Dutch War by the unofficial leader of the republic Johan de Witt and Admiral Michiel de Ruyter as the Regiment de Marine. Its leader was Willem Joseph Baron van Ghent. The Dutch had successfully used ordinary soldiers in ships at sea in the First Anglo-Dutch War. It was the fifth European Marine unit formed, being preceded by the Spanish Marines (1537), the Portuguese Marines (1610), the French Marines (1622) and the British Royal Marines (1664). Like Britain, the Netherlands has had several periods when its Marines were disbanded. The Netherlands itself was under French occupation or control from 1810 until 1813. A new Marine unit was raised on 20 March 1801 during the time of the Batavian Republic and on 14 August 1806 the Korps Koninklijke Grenadiers van de Marine was raised under King Louis Bonaparte. The modern Korps Mariniers dates from 1814, receiving its current name in 1817.

The battle honors on the Korps Mariniers' colors are: Chatham (1667), Kijkduin (1673), Sennefe (1674), Spain, Dogger Bank (1781), West Indies, Algiers (1816), Atjeh, Bali, Rotterdam (1940), Java Sea (1942), Java and Madoera (1947-1948), and New Guinea (1962).

In 1667, led by van Ghent, now an admiral, and their new commander, the Englishman Colonel Thomas Dolman, the Regiment de Marine played a prominent part in the large Dutch raid, the "Raid on the Medway" on England (10-14 June). The Korps' battle honor "Chatham" is one of the few ever won on British soil by a foreign unit. The July 2nd attack on Landguard fort near Harwich, performed by 1.500 Mariniers after landing at Woodrich was beaten off by the fort's garrison.

The Mariniers also fought in the Franco-Dutch War/Third Anglo-Dutch War. On June 29 1672, after serving in the naval Battle of Solebay (7 June), two-thirds of the Marines were withdrawn from the fleet and formed into a brigade in order to stiffen the inefficient and largely mercenary army in anticipation of an English invasion. They returned to their ships in time to help stop an English invasion by defeating a combined English and French force at the naval Battle of Kijkduin (Battle of Texel) on 21 August 1673. Led by Gerolf van Isselmuyden, they served in the land battle of Senef against the French in 1674.

Dutch support of American independence led to the Fourth Anglo-Dutch War, where the Mariniers served at Dogger Bank.

In 1704, Netherlands Marines were part of a combined British-Netherlands force under Prince George of Hesse-Darmstadt that captured Gibraltar and defended it successfully shortly afterwards. They would combine with the British again for the bombardment of Algiers in 1816.

The Korps Mariniers served in some of the operations of the Netherlands in the Dutch East Indies colony. The Netherlands took a slow approach to conquering the entire colony and operations consolidating their rule lasted from the 1850s until shortly before World War I. The battle honors from the Aceh War (1873-1913) and Bali date from this time.

In World War II, a Korps Mariniers unit in Rotterdam preparing to ship out to the Dutch East Indies successfully defended the bridges across the Maas, preventing the German paratroopers in the central city from hooking up with conventional German infantry. The Germans ended the stalemate by bombing Rotterdam. The threat of an attack by Marines caused its German captain to scuttle the Antilla in Aruba in 1940.

When the surrender was declared and the Dutch soldiers came out of their positions, the German commander who was expecting a full battalion of men was stunned to see only a few Dutch Marines emerge in their black uniforms. He ordered his men to salute them out of respect for their bravery and determination and labelled them Zwarte duivels (The Black Devils).

Some Mariniers later joined the Princess Irene Brigade to fight against the Germans. They distinguished themselves in combat near the Dutch city of Tilburg in the autumn of 1944.

Starting in 1943, the United States Marine Corps trained and equipped a new brigade, the Mariniersbrigade, of the Korps Mariniers at Camp Lejeune and Camp Davis in North Carolina in preparation for amphibious landings against the Japanese in the Dutch East Indies. The Japanese surrendered before such landings were needed, but the Mariniersbrigade, fully trained and equipped, left North Carolina in six transports in 1945 and fought against the Indonesians in their National Revolution for independence. It was part of the A Division, which was itself commanded by a Korps Mariniers officer. It was disbanded in 1949.

The Dutch kept West New Guinea after the Indonesian National Revolution and the Korps Mariniers served there until 1962 when it was granted independence. The same year it was invaded and incorporated into Indonesia.

[edit] Modern Korps Mariniers

On 11 June 1977, Dutch Army and Marines stormed a train that was being held hostage since 23 May by armed South Moluccan extremists in the village of De Punt, in the province of Drenthe. Six Dutch Air Force F-104 Starfighters buzzed the train as a diversion just before the assault. Six terrorists and two hostages were killed in the storming. The Marines have become one of the Dutch government's primary counter-terrorism forces. (See "Combat Support Battalion" below.)

Lately the Marines have been deployed in various operations all over the world.

18 feb 1992 - 18 November 1993: United Nations Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNTAC).

Three Battalion of Marines and a Navy field hospital (FDS)were stationed in Cambodia following the 1991 Paris peace treaty when the civil war was ended.

1995 - present: Former Yugoslavia, Bosnia, Kosovo.

28 July 2000 - 7 February 2003: United Nations Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE).

11 January 2002 - present: deployment in Afghanistan.

Marines have been deployed in Afghanistan as part of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) on several occasions. The second battalion with the field hospital was deployed in Mazar-e Sharif in 2005 to provide security during the elections. Marines and Navy personnel were also stationed in the Provincial Reconstruction Team in pol-e-Khomri, province of Baghlan. They took over from the Dutch Airforce and Army in 2005 and were relieved in October 2006 when Hungarian forces took over. Currently Marines are serving in Uruzgan as NLD Operational Mentor and Liaisons Team, for recruiting and training new military personnel of the Afghan National Army in the Uruzgan province. Training takes place at Kamp Holland, Tarin Kowt.

Wow, thank you for the very informative and historical post! :happy feet: Semper Fi!

CH53 and Snake Doctor you guys are a great and funny bunch-if ever down here in Miami- a round of beer, well, hold that thought, a few pitchers will be on me. :beerchug: !!!!! There is a great place down here called Monty's http://www.montyssouthbeach.com/index.html ....boats and beer-Hoorah!!!!

USMC Rules For Gun Fighting

* Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.

* Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.

* Only hits count. A close miss is still a miss.

* If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.

* Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movements are preferred.)

* If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.

* In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics.

* They will only remember who lived.

* If you are not shooting, you should be communic- ating, reloading, and running.

* Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

* Use a gun that works EVERY TIME.

* Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

* Always cheat = always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

* Have a plan.

* Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.

* Use cover and concealment as much as possible.

* Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

* Don't drop your guard.

* Always tactically reload and threat scan 360 degrees.

* Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

* Decide to be AGGRESSIVE enough, QUICKLY enough.

* The faster you finish the fight, the less shot up you will get.

* Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

* Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

* Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a "4".

Navy Rules for Gun Fighting

* Go to Sea

* Send the Marines

* Drink Coffee

corpsman.jpg:hysterical:

Actually, it would be, "we are not" if you want to be anally proper. Perhaps the concept of casual writing is beyond your capability to understand? Perhaps you added a digit to your IQ score or the scale was 0 - 300? It must be one or the other considering your reading comprehension skills for I have never claimed that I was a member of MENSA. Also, MENSA administers standard tests: therefore, it is not their score to give.

:lol:

That would be the reason the apostrophe is in between the "n" and "t", Mr. "Aint " remembering which lies you told last, or who you told them

to.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...mp;#entry565562

:punched:

CH53 and Snake Doctor you guys are a great and funny bunch-if ever down here in Miami- a round of beer, well, hold that thought, a few pitchers will be on me. :beerchug: !!!!! There is a great place down here called Monty's http://www.montyssouthbeach.com/index.html ....boats and beer-Hoorah!!!!

Navy Rules for Gun Fighting

* Go to Sea

* Send the Marines

* Drink Coffee

corpsman.jpg:hysterical:

I dang near spewed water on that one! :hysterical:

Precisely! It's an informal forum. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ain't

So, you can't point to a lie. I expected that.

Then why do you keep bustin' my :cheerleader: on threads which you were not even party to?

You set this off... I ended it!!!

:fan:

p.s. by the way, you may want to peruse a dictionary reference before you post next time.

Archived