TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Newest Shelby Annual Magazine Is Officially Out

In case anyone doesn't know the newest Shelby Annual Magazine is now out on the news stands.

The Dodge cars received some pretty good exposure. First up are the two 1986 GLHS's at last Januarys Birthday bash. Both S cars are clearly visible in the group photograph.

Next up is the Terlingua article which includes a color photo of FWD-Performances 16v Prototype CSX, aka the 1988 B-day Car.

And last but not least a nice article on the 1986 Shelby GLHS Omni which includes a recent photo of Carroll with his #001 GLHS. There is also a sidebar article on the 1987 Shelby GLHS Charger.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah pretty sweet. I picked one up and read it. There wasn't any editing to the artical but it was close enough. Love how no one spotted the giant letters on the openning page, GHLS :redcard:

I think my dad will bring the 87 GLHS down next year, a car that never got the attention it deserved. I would bet untill that mag issue many didn't know there was a 2 door GLHS lol.

I also have a question on the birthday car because I have seen 2. The one I remember had white fiberides and 89 CSX grill and headlights, also a VNT 16v car. So was the one I have on a mag cover not a birthday car but a 90 prototype? Or were there 2 birthday cars?

Rob

yeah pretty sweet. I picked one up and read it. There wasn't any editing to the artical but it was close enough. Love how no one spotted the giant letters on the openning page, GHLS :redcard:

I think my dad will bring the 87 GLHS down next year, a car that never got the attention it deserved. I would bet untill that mag issue many didn't know there was a 2 door GLHS lol.

I also have a question on the birthday car because I have seen 2. The one I remember had white fiberides and 89 CSX grill and headlights, also a VNT 16v car. So was the one I have on a mag cover not a birthday car but a 90 prototype? Or were there 2 birthday cars?

Rob

Rob

Good catch on the GHLS. I thought you were going to goof on the Omni steering wheel pic ;)

Regarding the CSX B-day car. There is only one. The current pics in the Shelby magazine are of the same car you remember but currently wearing a different set of rims/tires.

Steve

Rob

Good catch on the GHLS. I thought you were going to goof on the Omni steering wheel pic ;)

Regarding the CSX B-day car. There is only one. The current pics in the Shelby magazine are of the same car you remember but currently wearing a different set of rims/tires.

Steve

Actually there was another one, very similar, that was built by a fabrication shop in Detroit and it toured the auto show circuit in or about 1990 (as a concept car). From what I heard it was owned by Dodge. I don't know what happened to it, probably was crushed within a few years.

Barry

Actually there was another one, very similar, that was built by a fabrication shop in Detroit and it toured the auto show circuit in or about 1990 (as a concept car). From what I heard it was owned by Dodge. I don't know what happened to it, probably was crushed within a few years.

Barry

Are we talking about the B-day car or 1990 CSX Prototypes?

I know of only one B-day car but if you say there was another one I would love to hear about it so it can be documented.

Now if we are talking about 1990 Prototypes then yes there were more than one with the most famous being currently owned by T.P.

Let us know.

Steve

Are we talking about the B-day car or 1990 CSX Prototypes?

I know of only one B-day car but if you say there was another one I would love to hear about it so it can be documented.

Now if we are talking about 1990 Prototypes then yes there were more than one with the most famous being currently owned by T.P.

Let us know.

Steve

The exact details get foggy very fast. Originally, I was told some years ago that the b'day car was built in Detroit and shown as a concept car at the Detroit auto show (and others). I verified that the origin of the real b'day car was indeed at Shelby's Whittier facility (through T.P.).

So I went back to my source at Chrysler corp to verify. He agreed that it may have been merely a concept car that looked like the b'day car (white p-body, LOL). He is no longer at Chrysler and I have lost contact with him.

I did run across someone that had a pic of the car from the Detroit auto show a couple years ago. I don't recall who or where I saw it now. I also don't recall whether it was identified as a Shelby or not.

It may have well been just a 1990 prototype, but it was a white P-body with Shelby style ground effects.

The exact details get foggy very fast. Originally, I was told some years ago that the b'day car was built in Detroit and shown as a concept car at the Detroit auto show (and others). I verified that the origin of the real b'day car was indeed at Shelby's Whittier facility (through T.P.).

So I went back to my source at Chrysler corp to verify. He agreed that it may have been merely a concept car that looked like the b'day car (white p-body, LOL). He is no longer at Chrysler and I have lost contact with him.

I did run across someone that had a pic of the car from the Detroit auto show a couple years ago. I don't recall who or where I saw it now. I also don't recall whether it was identified as a Shelby or not.

It may have well been just a 1990 prototype, but it was a white P-body with Shelby style ground effects.

Yes there was an all white 1989 CSX prototype. Looks just like the production 1989 CSX but in that 1980's trend of painting everything on the car one color.

Some of the Whittier press kits used a photo of this car and it was also used on a "baseball" collector card. (See pic below)

I'm not sure where this prototype CSX ended up but there is a chance that it is the same CSX that sold at the B-J auction earlier this year. Remember that the B-J car was white underneath it's current red paint. Let me stress that this is just a possibility and there is no concrete proof that they are the same car.

Steve

csx_10738952.jpg

csx_10738952.jpg

Yes there was an all white 1989 CSX prototype. Looks just like the production 1989 CSX but in that 1980's trend of painting everything on the car one color.

Some of the Whittier press kits used a photo of this car and it was also used on a "baseball" collector card. (See pic below)

I'm not sure where this prototype CSX ended up but there is a chance that it is the same CSX that sold at the B-J auction earlier this year. Remember that the B-J car was white underneath it's current red paint. Let me stress that this is just a possibility and there is no concrete proof that they are the same car.

Steve

That's a cool card. So much for accuracy, but cool none the less. I never knew there were such cards!

Rob

Steve

There were a few goofs, that wasn't just a wheel, that was a stock base model Omni with the 1.6L seats.

Then came the naming of the GLH which conflicts with the Shelby Times. Where Chrysler wanted it named Coyote and Shelby protested because there was already a car named that. Shelby said all the media that drove the car said it "goes like hell" and the car should be named that.

Then they said that they removed the Mitsu POS turbo and added the Garret. The Mitsu wasn't around till 88' and the T1 engine had the same size Garret on it. They also mention the 1 piece that also sits on an engine with a Mitsu, but that is a free be as the log is 1 piece.

I think the weight thing is a bit much when you talk 86 vs 87 GLHS. There is barely a 50 lb change between them. Now weight bias between the tires and wheel base though makes the 86 better at low speeds. My 86 weighs 150 lbs more than it did stock lol. But I added a ton of "stuff" to it to make it a better street machine.

3 photos intrest me, one with Shelby and 001 that looks new. Then the GLHS going through the paper with Shelby 1 on the plate and C2 wheels. The third one that intrests me is the drag photo where the GLHS wares the Cheap H rated tires. So is the first one a current Shelby photo? Did they run the 14.7 with the lame GLH tires (which explains a lot to me lol)? Lastly is the car Shelby drives through the paper #2?

And the one thing that absolutely shocked me that they would dare have in that mag, the GT 350 stock times of 15.7 @ 91 MPH. That I couldn't believe they posted. I have book on the factory times for the cars and read also 14.8 for the GT500, but I never thought they would bring it up! Every time I bring up stock numbers between the GLHS and the Mustangs at the track they think I'm full of it. I am shocked they brought up the GT350, BUT I did enjoy it lol.

It's a shame if there are so many errors. The publication is viewed by the readers as a voice of Shelby Autos.

These are Ford People writing this that are trying to get it right. But hey, if some one asked me to write history in a couple pages on a Chevy Vega it would be worse. It is going to get better as the intrest is there. The Dodges show what Shelby can do without making an expensive gas hog. Enough Ford top people start thinking about a turbo compacts like Shelby made with Dodge and they have a car for the economy crunch. From the articals, to what has been said. Shelby may be going turbo again soon. Maybe Shelby is trying to talk Ford into letting him at the RS Focus, sign me up! So there are some reasons Shelby has been showing Dodges again, so that voice will be getting better. The Dodges were so different than the rest of the Shelbys that they show how flexable Shelby Autos is. That alone may help them to survive as the economy and fuel prices murder the big 3.

Wow, you guys don't miss a thing and I mean that in a good way. I'll see if I can clear up a few things from that article.

First the biggest error is the Mitsu turbo. I take 100% responsibility for that error. I had just been discharged from a two week emergency hospital stay when I wrote that article and had a deadline to meet. An oversight that I should have caught.

The second error was the use of an Omni interior pic. I was as shocked as you guys when I saw that but all I can say is that the magazine editor used some pics he received from Petersen Publishing and in hindsight I wish there had been enough time for me to see a proof of the article before it went to publication.

The weight difference is accurate. The almost 200 pound difference between the 1986 and 1987 GLHS cars comes directly from factory Shelby Press Kits.

Several of the photos that interested 86glhs76 were provided by me. The color pic of Carroll next to his #001 car was taken by me earlier this year. This took some doing as Carroll was concerned about using this photo in print when he has an exclusive contract with Ford right now. Kind of like if you are a spokesperson for Pepsi Cola you sure don't want to be photographed drinking Coca Cola. This was a nice gesture Carroll provided us.

The next pic of Carroll driving a GLHS thru the SAI banner. I'm not sure what car it was but if I had to guess it was a prototype GLHS. If I recall correctly the date the photo was taken was before production of the 1986 GLHS had begun.

In regards to the the third photo mentioned by 86glhs76 at the dragstrip, if you look closely you can see that although they swapped some Chrysler "pizza" wheels onto the front they are running Gatorback tires. I wouldn't be surprised if they were running larger than stock sized tires for a little extra insurance of a good 1/4 mile time.

Moving on to the GT350 comparison. I think I'll pass on that one since I had no involvment with that shoot out. We've all seen the April 1986 issue of Hot Rod magazine where these numbers came from. Just like back then its up to the readers to decide if it was a fair comparison or not.

We at Team Shelby and Shelby Autos appreciate your input and we will continue to do our best to bring the Dodge cars into a more prominent role in the Shelby community.

Steve

hey now i own an expensive gas hog (if getting 25 mpg average with my heavy right foot is a gas hog lol) i love both my Shelby's my only regret is i cant have more (yet).

I gave away one of my big block Challengers to an old friend and still have my 1970 R/T SE 440 Challenger. I am adding a 8-71 and twin 4 barrel TB's to it now. I also grew up with Muscle cars, my 72 Rally have front and rear sway bars and was a missile. I still today build V8's for people, those looking for massive average power over the whole curve for the street.

But lets get real, the best I get out of a 550 HP NA street 440 with a carb is 16 MPG in a 4,000 lb car. That is something few can own and even fewer can drive. My first Shelby Dodge was in 1990. I did a couple things and ran a nice mid 14 back then, but I got as high as 41 MPG on the highway. I still had the Challengers but they were parked most of the time. With a turbo 4 you can get over 30 and the speed. You drive a V8 spirited as they say and you drop into single digits. My 72 with a 440 would burn over 3.5 gallons a run with a Predator carb and was still too lean turning the headers red. Driving my GLHS very hard around town, in 13 second range trim, it gets 28 MPG at the worst.

So we all love V8's, but they will be killing the big 3 soon as most people don't want to drive a 4,000 lb car with a V8. The younger guys that work for me can't stand Mustangs or anything else that is a muscle car. Heck most don't like them because there not a 4 door, which drives me nuts. It is the future though and an AWD turbo Focus would sell more Fords. And Ford needs help to sell 300,000 cars not 3,000 cars lol. Dodge had Shelby on board to help the rest of the line, not to bust out a few niche cars. After that crunch of the 70's the K cars saved Dodge, the first year the mini showed up they sold nearly 350,000 copys.

Rob

Wow, you guys don't miss a thing and I mean that in a good way. I'll see if I can clear up a few things from that article.

The next pic of Carroll driving a GLHS thru the SAI banner. I'm not sure what car it was but if I had to guess it was a prototype GLHS. If I recall correctly the date the photo was taken was before production of the 1986 GLHS had begun.

In regards to the the third photo mentioned by 86glhs76 at the dragstrip, if you look closely you can see that although they swapped some Chrysler "pizza" wheels onto the front they are running Gatorback tires. I wouldn't be surprised if they were running larger than stock sized tires for a little extra insurance of a good 1/4 mile time.

We at Team Shelby and Shelby Autos appreciate your input and we will continue to do our best to bring the Dodge cars into a more prominent role in the Shelby community.

Steve

I noticed the H tires off the tread. The tires they came stock with on the GLH and the SC had H shaped tread blocks. Why the tire had H's for tread and a H speed rating I don't know. But it is easy to see the tire in the photo as the stock H tires. The Gatorbacks also had the first V tread design. The Gators would get warm and leave black marks as they hooked. The H tires were so rock hard they left a faint crayon mark and turned the rubber into black saw dust. The Gators were very expensive to replace and a bunch of drag launches I bet wasn't fun to pay for. The rubber engine mounts, that no body runs today, caused wheel hop. The Gators hooking up may have caused wheel hop.

The proto types had that funny looking wheel that the GLHS vs GT350 article car had, I don't remember seeing prototypes with the C1 wheels. Could 001 have come off the line stock like all the rest and Shelby added the 16v and the wider wheels later?

I don't see why Ford would get upset about Shelby pictures with the old Dodge. Now if he was sitting on a new Challenger then it would hit the fan.

As far as weight goes, 87 GLHS 306 which is stock weighs 2,487 lbs with me sitting in it at the dump. So 2,287 with me sitting in a 86 GLHS? That would put dry weight around 2,100 lbs. Mine weighs over 2,500 with me in it lol but not stock. I question how fair the press kit was.

Moper Action did a great long write up on the GLH's a few years ago, worth a read. My only complaint really with this one is the name wrong. Many that read the mag go through it skimming quickly, the big captions need to be more correct than the body of the article.

If you do one on the 89 CSX I hope you bring up Motor Trend and Porsche thinking they had the first VNT on a production car. Believe I emailed MT and gave them there own page numbers in there 89 mag showing otherwise lol.

Rob

On a side note... Anyone know if I can buy a copy of this issue here in Canada and where?

Thanks

Robb

OSDAC Member

Robb

I'm not sure if they are available in Canada but try Wal-Mart anyway.

You can always join Team Shelby for $59.99 and in your membership kit, along with a t-shirt and other cool stuff, will be a brand new issue of the Shelby mag.

Steve

Steve

my bad, I looked closer and saw the V pattern. I always wonder how they got the cars to run the numbers they did. Slow shitting maybe or something. My completely wasted doper owned Relaint K wagon runs basically a stock GLHS engine with a stage 2 computer and better exhaust. But the wagon is much bigger and with all season tires it rips off 14.3@98. I notice however you need to power shift a GLHS to keep any boost with the stock computer. 87 306 is ugly if you take your foot off the gas, it lags in each gear rebuilding boost. The pizza wheels are 5.5" wide and a 205 width is the widest they go. If they went with a crab off the 86 CS with a 225 gator that would have made a difference. I would go through a trans ever 6 months of less with 225 width and a A525 though with a log T1...

Rob

:happy feet: Thanks Steve... I do plan on Joining in the new year forsure.... Thanks again! Great site

Robb

OSDAC Member

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2291434

That's a nice car. GREAT mod choices too, very nice. D-cal is wonderfull. Did you richen it for fuel curve at 1 PSI and add a wideband for 16:1 AF at cruize for the 35+ MPG? A local friend is getting 37 with his T top Daytona hehe. I'm going 2.2 with my Rampage but other than that about the same mod list you have with an auto :dance:

That's a nice car. GREAT mod choices too, very nice. D-cal is wonderfull. Did you richen it for fuel curve at 1 PSI and add a wideband for 16:1 AF at cruize for the 35+ MPG? A local friend is getting 37 with his T top Daytona hehe. I'm going 2.2 with my Rampage but other than that about the same mod list you have with an auto :dance:

Thank-you so much... Rob Lloyd did up the D-Cal , he also did the smec socketing! The car runs alittle on the rich side forsure He he... Over the winter months I will be learning a LOT more about the program so I can make my own cals... Rob, Nice GLHS by the way, REALLY nice!!! Good luck on the Rampage... sorry...Kinda off topic

Robb

OSDAC Member

• 2 weeks later...
Thank-you so much... Rob Lloyd did up the D-Cal , he also did the smec socketing! The car runs alittle on the rich side forsure He he... Over the winter months I will be learning a LOT more about the program so I can make my own cals... Rob, Nice GLHS by the way, REALLY nice!!! Good luck on the Rampage... sorry...Kinda off topic

Robb

OSDAC Member

Use the MP computers on the overlay to find the spark curve and start out with the fuel curve and mod it to fit the wide band readings. Thats the easy way. D-cal is sweet that way where you can load 2 at once to use one as a blue print, love that.

My GLHS has gone through too many mods but I hope to have time to finish it this winter. Keep working though lol. Looking for 420 WHP, which isn't past my engine setup but may be past my S50 T04E compressor.

Archived