TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 GT500 - The Exact date the new flywheel started going in

Grabber

Grabber - thank you for directing me to this thread. I've read the entire 12 pages. I really appreciate all the time and effort you put in to create all the information contained.

I checked my door jamb and it was manufactured 7/08 so it looks as though my car is effected by the TSB as well. Would it be too much to ask you to check my build date please? That is, if the little birdie is available. :lol: 1ZVHT88S795124519 I bought it new 3 weeks ago so it appears as though it sat for about a year before I purchased it. (I guess I'm one of the few fans of the black/red GT Appearance Pkg). :lol:

I've got 721 miles on it now. It was trucked over to AZ from CA so it's probably had the clutch abused a bit by being loaded at least twice. Most of the miles have been from my commute and although not bad, lots of clutch use in the heavier traffic areas. I've done no wide open throttle runs with it as I wanted to get at least a 1000 miles on it before experiencing WOT. Plus I'm almost 50 now and have learned to play at the track rather than the streets. I competitively drag race my 02 Lightning and wanted the Shelby for the road courses.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow and let them know I'm experiencing some issues with clutch chatter and hard shifting on ocassions into 2nd. I'll use the information you posted when describing the problems. Thanks again - greatly appreciated! :beerchug:

Birdie says you just missed the cut off date by 5 days. :banghead:

WARRANTY START DATE

07/18/2009

BUILD DATE

08/14/2008

SALE MILEAGE

Edited by Grabber

:heartbreaker: :tequila: augh....5 days!?!

Thanks for the info sir. The good news is that I called the dealer today and they were very apologetic. They asked me to bring the car in at my convenience and they would do the TSB to it. I guess I'm going to find out the difference $35k makes between a Focus and a GT500 for a couple of days as that's what they have for loaner cars. :shift:

I'm going to try and drop it off to them next week for the fix. This particular Ford store is a sister store to the dealership I work for. I'm the new car manager at a Lexus store and, knock on wood, we have very few problems that ever arise with our vehicles. I spoke with the service manager at the Ford store and he assured me the work would be performed to my expectations. The transmission tech has 20yrs experience with Ford products and has done the TSB to other GT500's. I know the GM there as well and he said he would personally watch over the project. So far so good. I'll report back after the work is done.

I would not have known about this had it not been for your threads Grabber. Thanks a million for all of your contributions and posting this stuff. :salute:

Thanks for the info sir. The good news is that I called the dealer today and they were very apologetic. They asked me to bring the car in at my convenience and they would do the TSB to it. I guess I'm going to find out the difference $35k makes between a Focus and a GT500 for a couple of days as that's what they have for loaner cars. :shift:

I'm going to try and drop it off to them next week for the fix. This particular Ford store is a sister store to the dealership I work for. I'm the new car manager at a Lexus store and, knock on wood, we have very few problems that ever arise with our vehicles. I spoke with the service manager at the Ford store and he assured me the work would be performed to my expectations. The transmission tech has 20yrs experience with Ford products and has done the TSB to other GT500's. I know the GM there as well and he said he would personally watch over the project. So far so good. I'll report back after the work is done.

I would not have known about this had it not been for your threads Grabber. Thanks a million for all of your contributions and posting this stuff. :salute:

As new car manager can't you pull an IS-F from stock to drive around in? I want to drive one of those in the worst way, just to see what it is like.

I'm glad this is working out.

You might want to make sure they have all the parts ordered and in stock before you drop your car off.

This has been a problem for some and their car sits at the dealership for 2-3 weeks.

As new car manager can't you pull an IS-F from stock to drive around in? I want to drive one of those in the worst way, just to see what it is like.

Yes I can, but it's not as much fun as the Shelby. I did hot laps on the road course at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in the ISF as well and it is an unbelievable car. Nothing to talk about, on a road course without much of a straight stretch, it would be hard to beat in stock trim. The car lacks the power of the GT500 though, coming in at only 416hp coupled to an 8spd automatic trans which can also be driven like a stick. The paddle shifters are awesome on a road course. The car is very impressive, in fact, the pro driver at Vegas liked it so much after driving it that upon exiting the vehicle - bought it on the spot. Another guy who was watching us from the gaurd rail, bought the other ISF that we had there at the track. The car lists for $62k and even with my discount, the Shelby was quite a bit less. I'm a muscle car nut. I have a 1963 Impala 409 with twin 4bbls and a 4spd, a 2002 Lightning that I competitively drag race and my new 09 GT500. Don't worry, I do have an 04 Lexus RX as well - so I haven't completely cheated on my Lexus brand. :lol:

While at Vegas I also got to race an Indy open wheel car on the oval. OMG what a rush that was! :shift:

Yes I can, but it's not as much fun as the Shelby. I did hot laps on the road course at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in the ISF as well and it is an unbelievable car. Nothing to talk about, on a road course without much of a straight stretch, it would be hard to beat in stock trim. The car lacks the power of the GT500 though, coming in at only 416hp coupled to an 8spd automatic trans which can also be driven like a stick. The paddle shifters are awesome on a road course. The car is very impressive, in fact, the pro driver at Vegas liked it so much after driving it that upon exiting the vehicle - bought it on the spot. Another guy who was watching us from the gaurd rail, bought the other ISF that we had there at the track. The car lists for $62k and even with my discount, the Shelby was quite a bit less. I'm a muscle car nut. I have a 1963 Impala 409 with twin 4bbls and a 4spd, a 2002 Lightning that I competitively drag race and my new 09 GT500. Don't worry, I do have an 04 Lexus RX as well - so I haven't completely cheated on my Lexus brand. :lol:

While at Vegas I also got to race an Indy open wheel car on the oval. OMG what a rush that was! :shift:

I meant more in lieu of the Focus loaner, but I agree with you on more fun in GT500 than ISF.

I, too, have an RX330 (04). I never cease to be amazed at how well I am treated at that dealership. They treat me like it is a $100K truck, but it was not even that expensive (alot less than the GT500).

If I had to make it work with just one car, the IS-F seems like a great 4 door.

I meant more in lieu of the Focus loaner, but I agree with you on more fun in GT500 than ISF.

I, too, have an RX330 (04). I never cease to be amazed at how well I am treated at that dealership. They treat me like it is a $100K truck, but it was not even that expensive (alot less than the GT500).

If I had to make it work with just one car, the IS-F seems like a great 4 door.

Ahhhh, yes, then I did miss your point about the Focus loaner then didn't I. :doh: Instead you got some long boring post out of me that meant nothing to nobody.......which explains the lack of replies. :headscratch::boring::lol:

Sorry about that. I guess at times I don't comprehend........hey look at the pony!!! :yahoo:

Seriously though, what Lexus dealership do you use in WI.? Brookfield? We do spoil our guests and I'm glad to hear you have a similar experience with your Lexus store.

Edited by TITEASP

O venerable Grabber, would'st thou kindly consult thy magic byrd concern'g ye build date of ye VIN:

1ZVHT88S795141319

With profound gratitude,

Michael

Cory,

BUILD DATE: 07/31/2008

Keep an eye on her.

Rob

btw, I'm not Cory. I bought the car from him. :D

:cry: is this issue something that eventually happens to all affected cars, or just some? i've put 2,000mi on the car in the past month or so and it still shifts as smooth as butter. I've been stuck in traffic and other situations where it would have a chance to heat up. No issues as of yet. :finger:

btw, I'm not Cory. I bought the car from him. :D

:cry: is this issue something that eventually happens to all affected cars, or just some? i've put 2,000mi on the car in the past month or so and it still shifts as smooth as butter. I've been stuck in traffic and other situations where it would have a chance to heat up. No issues as of yet. :finger:

I think the TSB uses the word "some" . :doh:

IMO it's jus a matter of time. How much time is unknown.

Guys please think twice about getting the TSB done unless your car is complete messed up, if just minor issues, I would hold out until its really bad if that makes sense

My car is much much worse than ever and I am on my 4th clutch and it is back at the dealership

Total time spent there is over a month in about a 1.5 month period!

I am at the best in the business as well so beware, you have been warned!

Hi again Grabber, I think my VIN question might have been bypassed when Cory's more complicated question appeared ... Would you kindly check the build-date of VIN:

1ZVHT88S795141319

Thank you again!

Michael

Hi again Grabber, I think my VIN question might have been bypassed when Cory's more complicated question appeared ... Would you kindly check the build-date of VIN:

1ZVHT88S795141319

Thank you again!

Michael

It took birdie some time to get back to me on that KR. However....he brought good news.

BUILD DATE: 10/15/2008

Are ya gonna buy it?

Are ya gonna buy it?

Well, it's pretty funny ... You've checked out two KRs that I'm interested in - one turns out to have a 10/15 build date and the other a 10/17. As it happens, my birthday is 10/16. So I guess the writing is on the wall here ... just which one winds up the better deal when the financial dust clears. :yup:

Thanks again, Grabber - this is an invaluable advisory of yours concerning this crucial factor. :mademyday:

Michael

• 4 months later...

I checked and I have the old flywheel. Build date of 8-15-08. Can't believe I missed it by just a few days. :cry:

01/02/10 Goshawk here...I just shot a message off to Grabber with an update to these dates, and the production #'s. I ran an Oasis and my build date was 08/20/08 I was really happy for about an hour, when my mechanic called to let me know I had the old and not the new flywheel It seems we're now within 17 digits of the production #s. ( The first production date listed here with the new 4100 sieries flywheel : was 08/19/08 and his last 6 of the VIN showed 131286 or 17 units after mine.) ....which is 131269. Even though mine seems to be built a day after Ford began with the "new" 4100's. It seems my production #'s show it was built 17 units before they changed over completly. OR... They had a few of the old left over, OR...OR...?? Hope this helps, but the only way as we all know is to look. P.S. the date on my door tag shows 08/08

Edited by goshawk

The pressure plate is not the issue at hand in this thread. headscratch.gif

It's the flywheel.

Production numbers in our VIN's do not mean anything at all anymore. They are all mixed in with the GT's and V-6 Mustangs.

The question I have for you is this.

DID YOUR MECH LOOK AT YOUR FLYWHEEL ?

DOES HE KNOW WHAT THE OLD ONE LOOKS LIKE?

DOES HE KNOW WHAT THE NEW ONE LOOKS LIKE?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Grabber, you must be some sort of angel for the help you have afforded folks, Including myself..

I am the gent who lives in the UK and bought a 2007 shelby GT500. A few days after giving over a deposit the owner of the car reported the clutch was slipping in high gears. Car has sub 5k miles.

I had read your posts before viewing the car and the clutch seemed as nice as pie when doing the tests although there was some serious hissing noises (at this point I don't remember at what state it was making the noise)

The owner offered to pay for the clutch replacement. I decided on a Spec clutch and also decided to replace the flywheel with a spec unit and pump upon your recommendations.

LIving in the UK I could not stump up for the input shaft as well.

The parts took weeks to arrive and thus why I don't have the car yet.

The shop repairing the car have reported back to me this week that the car is done and the following was found:

Clutch completely gone, said there was almost no material left to wear off. He stated that normally when unbolting the clutch the clutch rises off the flywheel, in my case it did not move at all. The flywheel was also showing signs of bluing (he has supplied me with both parts and I will post photos when I get the car)

He said the transmission was "an early style tremec and the pump was not behind the front cover" but from your photos the pump appears to be behind the flywheel on the input shaft and located within what I would call the bellhousing. So that got me a bit confused as he could not replace the pump. I have attempted to post photos in the next post. I hope they posted.

The shop reported the car now drives and shifts very well. Splines were cleaned and Teflon lube used during installation

In your opinion do you think I will have future problems? I.E. syncros going do to the fried clutch and flywheel?

cheers for your time and enthusiasm.

Peter

Edited by pmustang

Grabber, you must be some sort of angel for the help you have afforded folks, Including myself..

I am the gent who lives in the UK and bought a 2007 shelby GT500. A few days after giving over a deposit the owner of the car reported the clutch was slipping in high gears. Car has sub 5k miles.

I had read your posts before viewing the car and the clutch seemed as nice as pie when doing the tests although there was some serious hissing noises (at this point I don't remember at what state it was making the noise)

The owner offered to pay for the clutch replacement. I decided on a Spec clutch and also decided to replace the flywheel with a spec unit and pump upon your recommendations.

LIving in the UK I could not stump up for the input shaft as well.

The parts took weeks to arrive and thus why I don't have the car yet.

The shop repairing the car have reported back to me this week that the car is done and the following was found:

Clutch completely gone, said there was almost no material left to wear off. He stated that normally when unbolting the clutch the clutch rises off the flywheel, in my case it did not move at all. The flywheel was also showing signs of bluing (he has supplied me with both parts and I will post photos when I get the car)

He said the transmission was "an early style tremec and the pump was not behind the front cover" but from your photos the pump appears to be behind the flywheel on the input shaft and located within what I would call the bellhousing. So that got me a bit confused as he could not replace the pump.

The shop reported the car now drives and shifts very well. Splines were cleaned and Teflon lube used during installation

In your opinion do you think I will have future problems? I.E. syncros going do to the fried clutch and flywheel?

cheers for your time and enthusiasm.

Peter

post-28242-127524408501_thumb.jpeg

post-28242-127524410175_thumb.jpeg

Edited by pmustang

• 3 months later...

It took me 15 minutes to find my old thread on this topic because the new update does not hold but 2 pages of "my topic's" :censored:

This forum is really starting to suck big time.

The IT geeks suck ------>:finger:

It took me 15 minutes to find my old thread on this topic because the new update does not hold but 2 pages of "my topic's" :censored:

This forum is really starting to suck big time.

The IT geeks suck ------>:finger:

You mean to tell me that the mods don't have their own private forum and discuss changes to the forums before they are implemented? You've got to be kidding me...

• 2 months later...