TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 GT500 - The Exact date the new flywheel started going in

Grabber

The old flywheel has been warping on many cars in urban driving, including the 2009 GT500's. This is stated in the TSB which I have attached if you need it.

GT500_Clutch_drag_TSB_08_16_04.pdf

The word on the street is that if you have a 2009 GT500 that was manufactured after Aug. 15th 2008.....You have the new and improved flywheel. The exact date is a little sketchy and it could vary by a week or 2 plus or minus. The purpose of this thread is to pin that date down for the 2009 GT500 Owners so they know which flywheel is in their car.

The next time you change your oil and have your car in the air, please take a look at your flywheel thru the small drain slot in the bottom of your tranny with a flashlight and verify which flywheel you have and please post your Manufacture Date of your car. The sticker on the door panel will tell you your Manufacture month and your dealer can tell you the exact date by pulling the OASIS report. You will be looking to see if you have vents in the flywheel. Vents are in the old style flywheel and not in the new style flywheel.

CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE

Here is a photo photo of the OLD flywheel. The vents next to the center of the flywheel are only on the OLD style flywheel.

th_Flywheelinstallation043.jpg

Here is a photo of the NEW style flywheel. There are no vents at the center of the flywheel.

th_Flywheelinstallation008.jpg

Here is a side by side photo of the NEW and the OLD flywheel. The Old flywheel is on the right side. Note the vents in the old flywheel.

th_Flywheelinstallation046.jpg

Here is the vent slot that you will need to look up into with a flash light. It's right by the oil drain plug in the very bottom of the tranny. if you see just a flat shiney surface inside there....then you have the new flywheel. If you see vents, you have the old style flywheel.

th_Flywheelinstallation098.jpg

Make sure you are looking in the correct slot on the bottom and not the vent just besides it. This photo points out the right slot to look into. Click on it to enlarge it to see the arrows.

th_Flywheelinstallation099.jpg

Edit to ad info on the findings as of 2/23/09:

We now have 4 members reporting out.

Build date: 7/22/08 - Old style flywheel (nodular iron with slots)

Build date: 8/12/08 - Old style flywheel (sn 129368 nodular iron with slots)

Build date: 8-15-08 - Old style flywheel (nodular iron with slots)

Build date: 8/19/08 - New style flywheel (non slotted thicker 4100 series steel)

Build date: 8/27/08 - New style flywheel (non slotted thicker 4100 series steel)

Edited by Grabber

Here's a pic of the OLD flywheel installed and the tranny is not bolted up to it yet. I'm posting this so you can see the vent view slot at the bottom of the photo and the 8 vents on the old flywheel at the center of it.

These pic's shows the opposite side of the OLD flywheel. See the vents in the center !!!

When you shine the flash light up thru the slot, you will be able to see either the vents of the OLD style flywheel or the flat shiney surface of the new style flywheel.

th_Flywheelinstallation070.jpg

th_Flywheelinstallation035.jpg

Edited by Grabber

Here's a pic of the old and new on the opposite side. This is the side that the clutch bolts up to. This is the side that faces the tranny.

The OLD style is on the right side.

th_Flywheelinstallation045.jpg

Edited by Grabber

Thanks Grabber, if I had studied your thread a little closer I would have known last week when I had the oil changed.

Now I know exactly what to look for and will check it.

Unfortunately, my build date is August 15th.

:doh:

Would be JUST MY LUCK if my car was going out the back door as the new flywheels were coming in the front.

Thanks for putting this in one place.

post-22339-1225473585_thumb.jpg

post-22339-1225473585_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wilmmr

After this thread runs it's identification process by the owners posting their findings, I will post the date under the subject title in the topic description. It could take a little time to pinpoint the date but I know there is enough of you 2009 owners that are interested in doing the research.

This way when someone asks the question: "When did the new flywheel start going into the GT500".........We can tell them and show them this thread. :)

Once again thanks Grabber. I assume everyone with the old flywheel will have some problem sooner or later? Yes? If so, how likely is Ford going to replace flywheels with no problems yet? My worry is since I only put about a thousand miles a year on my car will the flywheel go bad after my warranty is over? Then I get stuck with the bill.

Craig

Once again thanks Grabber. I assume everyone with the old flywheel will have some problem sooner or later? Yes? If so, how likely is Ford going to replace flywheels with no problems yet? My worry is since I only put about a thousand miles a year on my car will the flywheel go bad after my warranty is over? Then I get stuck with the bill.

Craig

Ford is not replacing flywheels or doing the TSB unless you have a problem. It's not like a recall where you just take your rig in and get the parts swapped out.

If you just do country driving with your car and freeway driving then you most likely will never have a problem. If you heat up the flywheel with alot of stop and go driving in rush hour traffic or go in a couple parades with your car, then your flywheel could get hot enough to get warped.

I suspect that if you just put a thousand pleasure miles a year on your car that you will never have a problem.

If you have any problem after your warranty is over....yes, you will have to pay for the repairs. The full TSB cost 6K.

Ford is not replacing flywheels or doing the TSB unless you have a problem. It's not like a recall where you just take your rig in and get the parts swapped out.

If you just do country driving with your car and freeway driving then you most likely will never have a problem. If you heat up the flywheel with alot of stop and go driving in rush hour traffic or go in a couple parades with your car, then your flywheel could get hot enough to get warped.

I suspect that if you just put a thousand pleasure miles a year on your car that you will never have a problem.

If you have any problem after your warranty is over....yes, you will have to pay for the repairs. The full TSB cost 6K.

Thanks Grabber I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

The old flywheel has been warping on many cars in urban driving, including the 2009 GT500's. This is stated in the TSB which I have attached if you need it.

The word on the street is that if you have a 2009 GT500 that was manufactured after Aug. 15th 2008.....You have the new and improved flywheel. The exact date is a little sketchy and it could vary by a week or 2 plus or minus. The purpose of this thread is to pin that date down for the 2009 GT500 Owners so they know which flywheel is in their car.

The next time you change your oil and have your car in the air, please take a look at your flywheel thru the small drain slot in the bottom of your tranny with a flashlight and verify which flywheel you have and please post your Manufacture Date of your car. The sticker on the door panel will tell you your Manufacture month and your dealer can tell you the exact date by pulling the OASIS report. You will be looking to see if you have vents in the flywheel. Vents are in the old style flywheel and not in the new style flywheel.

CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE

Here is a photo photo of the OLD flywheel. The vents next to the center of the flywheel are only on the OLD style flywheel.

th_Flywheelinstallation043.jpg

Here is a photo of the NEW style flywheel. There are no vents at the center of the flywheel.

th_Flywheelinstallation008.jpg

Here is a side by side photo of the NEW and the OLD flywheel. The Old flywheel is on the right side. Note the vents in the old flywheel.

th_Flywheelinstallation046.jpg

Here is the vent slot that you will need to look up into with a flash light. It's right by the oil drain plug in the very bottom of the tranny. if you see just a flat shiney surface inside there....then you have the new flywheel. If you see vents, you have the old style flywheel.

th_Flywheelinstallation098.jpg

Make sure you are looking in the correct slot on the bottom and not the vent just besides it. This photo points out the right slot to look into. Click on it to enlarge it to see the arrows.

th_Flywheelinstallation099.jpg

Grabber:

Just put my '09 up on the hoist. VIN: 95132561, Engine S/N: 080899801238. OASIS vehicle build date: 8/27/08. Glad to report, per your pictures, new style flywheel installed. Thanks for the great tip! My dealer could not tell me the clean point date for the new hardware but you came through with a simple means to verify.

Thanks again!

SVTRIDE

Grabber, I need help!!! Here I go: So, if I run the car past warranty period & end up having the "symptoms" I am stuck witha $6k bill! What a deal!

My car doesn't have symptoms now at less than 700 miles, question is, If I pay a Ford dealer to replace just the flywheel (with the new style of course), then, can I say that I am as good as if I had had the TSB done?

Dealers on the forum: if the answer is yes, what would your dealership charge JUST to replace the flywheel?

Grabber:

Just put my '09 up on the hoist. VIN: 95132561, Engine S/N: 080899801238. OASIS vehicle build date: 8/27/08. Glad to report, per your pictures, new style flywheel installed. Thanks for the great tip! My dealer could not tell me the clean point date for the new hardware but you came through with a simple means to verify.

Thanks again!

SVTRIDE

Thanks for doing your homework and helping us Pin this down for the 2009 GT500 Owners.

We now know that any GT500 built after 8/27/2008 has the new flywheel in it.

We need more 2009 owners that have build dates earlier than this date to help us figure out the cut off point.

Edited by Grabber

Grabber, I need help!!! Here I go: So, if I run the car past warranty period & end up having the "symptoms" I am stuck witha $6k bill! What a deal!

My car doesn't have symptoms now at less than 700 miles, question is, If I pay a Ford dealer to replace just the flywheel (with the new style of course), then, can I say that I am as good as if I had had the TSB done?

Dealers on the forum: if the answer is yes, what would your dealership charge JUST to replace the flywheel?

I think the ' symptoms will show up before your warranty is up

Edited by shelby001

If your car has the new style TUET8175 tranny in it (FMC part # 7R3Z*7003*AC) and you have not damaged your syncros than I would say your tranny is still fine because it has the updated inputshaft in it.

The thing you must know is that when you have a new flywheel installed, you have to have a new clutch put in also. The reason for this is that both surfaces need to be baby butt brand new smooth since those 2 surfaces work together and need to mate up.

In order to replace the flywheel the tranny has to be pulled out and the clutch has to come off too. The clutch is bolted on top of the flywheel surface. The new clutch has a nickle hub center too so you will want that for rust & corrosion prevention. If you have this work done it's also a good idea to replace the pilot bearing since it's right there.

I'm not a dealer, but I know how long the work takes because I have watched 3 of these from start to finish in the shop. I find it very interesting and learned a bunch about it. That being said you are looking at 4-6 hours labor depending on the tech doing the work. If the shop rate is $90 an hour that would be around $600 bucks labor. The flywheel is about $200 bucks and the clutch is around $2000 bucks and the pilot bearing is most likely around $20 bucks. The teflon lube is about $30 bucks too.

My rough estimate is that this would cost you about $2,850.00 plus misc shop fees for disposal & rags would put it at a total of about $3000.00 bucks. Don't forget the state tax too.

At 7.6% state tax would be $228 so your total bill would be about $3,228.00.

This is just my rough estimate. See your dealer for actual costs.

The thing you must know is that when you have a new flywheel installed, you have to have a new clutch put in also. The reason for this is that both surfaces need to be baby butt brand new smooth since those 2 surfaces work together and need to mate up.

+1 Many years ago I tried to save a few bucks just replacing the clutch and not replacing or resurfacing the flywheel. The new clutch was shot in about a 1000 miles.

After this thread runs it's identification process by the owners posting their findings, I will post the date under the subject title in the topic description. It could take a little time to pinpoint the date but I know there is enough of you 2009 owners that are interested in doing the research.

This way when someone asks the question: "When did the new flywheel start going into the GT500".........We can tell them and show them this thread. :)

My last six of vin number are 121402, 2009 model GT500, Build date 07/22/2008. Black w/red appearance package. :headscratch: My car has the old slotted fly wheel. I guess I could always drive in rush hour traffic just before warranty expires :hysterical:

Edited by Jody

My last six of vin number are 121402, 2009 model GT500, Build date 07/22/2008. Black w/red appearance package. :headscratch: My car has the old slotted fly wheel. I guess I could always drive in rush hour traffic just before warrant expires :hysterical:

Did you look up through the slot on the bottom of your tranny to verify which flywheel you have ?

Yes Sir, I looked. It has the slots. :censored:

Jody,

I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks for looking. It helps pin down the date for others.

We now have 2 members reporting out.

Build date: 7/22/08 - Old style flywheel (nodular iron with slots)

Build date: 8/27/08 - New style flywheel (non slotted thicker 3100 series steel)

Now we need some report outs between those 2 dates.

I just looked back at your pics. What I saw appeared to be more of a round hole than a slot shape. Looking at pics of the old and new, is it possible I saw what appears to be one of the small round holes (not near center, but further out the flywheel) on the new flywheel?

Your report out date does not jive with what has been previously reported.

The small marks that you see on the new flywheel are not drilled all the way through the flywheel. They were drilled partially into the steel to balance the flywheel.

I suggest you turn the ignition key to bump the flywheel forward and take another good look. Use a very strong flashlight.

Edited by Grabber

Your report out date does not jive with what has been previously reported.

The small marks that you see on the new flywheel are not drilled all the way through the flywheel. They were drilled partially into the steel to balance the flywheel.

I suggest you turn the ignition key to bump the flywheel forward and take another good look. Use a very strong flashlight.

I will look again later this afternoon with a better flashlight. Have to use the same old eyes though.

Just confirmed with a stronger flashlight....mine is the new flywheel. What I see besides just shiny metal is the little drilled areas you said were to balance it. Again, my build date 9/5/08.

Thanks for the confirmation. That is what I thought you would find.