TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 GT500 - The Exact date the new flywheel started going in

Grabber

Is there any way to get the 2010 clutch and flywheel installed? Like if I get an 07-08 they will put in the 2010 parts correct? But if I buy an 09 I am going to get the 09 parts but they won't fail? Am I understanding this correctly?

If your car is under warranty and has a problem....it gets the 2010 clutch put in under the current TSB. If the car has no problems and is out of warranty you can pay to have it put in. It's about 5,500 bucks.

Edited by Grabber

If your car is under warranty and has a problem....it gets the 2010 clutch put in under the current TSB. If the car has no problems and is out of warranty you can pay to have it put it. It's about 5,500 bucks.

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I need a 2009 model with a good build date or I will get an 2008 model and hope the do the TSB.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is build date 03/10/2008 warrenty start date 04/18/2008 car has 5300 miles on it, guessing I have the old parts, I really want to make them replace so I don't have problems after the warrenty.

Yes you have the old parts.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been following this thread for months - many thanks to you Grabber! I just confirmed with my oil change yesterday that my 2009 with a build date of 8/25/08 has the new flywheel :D

Glad I could be of some assistance !!

For what its worth, I had the TSB performed in lat 2008 on my '07; actually put a new transmission in too. Over two years later and she still drives great.

Grabber, I too appreciate your help with this.

For what its worth, I had the TSB performed in lat 2008 on my '07; actually put a new transmission in too. Over two years later and she still drives great.

Grabber, I too appreciate your help with this.

I too had a brand new tranny put in 2008 & New 2009 2nd Gen. Flywheel & new Nickel Hub Clutch & Pilot Bearing. I love the way it preforms. happy%20feet.gif

Edited by Grabber

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Newly registered to this forum but have followed extensively since buying a 2009 Shelby GT500 new back in April 2009.

So I started experience serious clutch slip last week, especially when I would nail it in second of third gear...would start to overrev at 2000 rpm and then slowly grab. Took the car in at first of this week to a local Ford dealer and of course never got a call back so I called the service advisor (they guard you pretty tight from speaking directly to the mechanics) today and he said they are replacing the flywheel/clutch/etc. I went into an extensive oratory about the TSB's on this car when I took it in, and they didn't seem to be getting it. Obviously, I feel in the dark and insecure about my baby, and am driving to the dealer after work to discuss in person. Here is the rub to all this, when looking to buy the GT500, I specifcially made sure to get one after the new flywheels alledgedly went in. My car's door sticker say 10/08 and the window sticker has a build date of 10/02/2008. I thought I would be ok....does anyone know if the post-new flywheel cars are having problems as well? Any insight that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. The car has a little over 13K mileage and the only mod is the FRPP CAI/pro-cal tune. I told the dealership I wanted the old parts or at least to inspect and they said they didn't know since it was under warrantly (I told them I expected it as a warrantly issue when taking it in and did not get any pushback).

Thanks so much. Excited to finally take the plunge and actually register for this forum.

• 2 months later...

gt500ghost.How did you make out with your replacement?Did they cover it under warranty?Mine is in right now for the exact same symptons you describe.Mine is a 2009 with a build date after the new assemblies began going in.I too made sure of the build date before buying. have aprox. 21000 miles on mine of none abusive use.Does anyone know what is causing the failure in these new units?Hopfully mine will be covered.

• 4 weeks later...

gt500ghost.How did you make out with your replacement?Did they cover it under warranty?Mine is in right now for the exact same symptons you describe.Mine is a 2009 with a build date after the new assemblies began going in.I too made sure of the build date before buying. have aprox. 21000 miles on mine of none abusive use.Does anyone know what is causing the failure in these new units?Hopfully mine will be covered.

Hi patsgt500, My replacement went perfect and was all covered under warranty. The flywheel was warped significantly and they just replaced everything with no questions asked at the local Ford dealer in Meridian ID (new flywheel, clutch sleeve, clutch slave, etc). The turnaround was only three days as well so the replacement parts must be readily available (at least this past June) My GT500 now drives totally different (no shudder at take-off, no hissing when depressing the clutch, etc)....now drives like one would expect. The new flywheel/clutch assembly was much more stout looking then the original and I have 6,000 miles since the replacement with my foot in it pretty much all the time. Appears that the TSB and replacement parts will rectify correctly. Good luck!

gt500ghost.thanks for the reply.had mine replaced last week-got the "its normal wear" story.currently waiting a call back from ford customer care supervisor.The part that gets me is that even after talking to the gm,and the service manager,showed them the tsb's,discussed the known issues with them they did not even contact the 'hotline' for info.So far my feelings regarding ford are not high.As I told one of the 'customer care' operators,if I was a first time ford buyer and this was the response it would make me a last ime buyer.The car does drive nice with the new assembly in it,and despite having read many posts about it,I too allmost put my foot through the floor the first time.lol.Still putting some gentle miles on it before eally getting in to it,but I do like the feel of it so far.Unfortunatley,I'm now having problems with the battery no holding a charge-it began when the car was at the dealer so they can't say 'its normal wear'-I hope!Good luck to all who may have to go through this in the future.

• 10 months later...

I have a 2009 GT500 and it has build date of Aug. 25th 2008 and it is now in the shop getting the TSB performed. They said the clutch was shot. Dont know yet what flywheel is in it though. Will be going out today to check it all out..

• 8 months later...

Yes all builds from 8/19/08 and on have the revised flywheel as stated in post #1.

I Know, I read post #1 and all 15 pages after it. (good info) In post 1 you asked for everyone to check their flywheels and report back with their findings and build dates. I thought maybe you would want to add my info to the list of new flywheels and build dates in post #1. :stats:

• 9 years later...
On 4/17/2013 at 4:12 AM, ati said:

I Know, I read post #1 and all 15 pages after it. (good info) In post 1 you asked for everyone to check their flywheels and report back with their findings and build dates. I thought maybe you would want to add my info to the list of new flywheels and build dates in post #1. :stats:

Do you miss your GT500. I know many have sold their cars from back in the day. It was a great time when the Shelby GT500 was announced. Everyboday was waiting for their cars to be delivered. I still have both my 2007 and 2009 GT500's and drive them both.