TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front License Plate

cluscher

I just bought a GT 500 from a forum member. It's a blk/tugnsten '07 coupe with 1100 mi. I haven't registered it yet and I'm wondering if there is any way to legitimately get away with not installing a front plate? The few pics I've seen of WA GT 500s have not had a front plate on them. Can it be registered as a collectible car or something like that?

-Chris

I just bought a GT 500 from a forum member. It's a blk/tugnsten '07 coupe with 1100 mi. I haven't registered it yet and I'm wondering if there is any way to legitimately get away with not installing a front plate? The few pics I've seen of WA GT 500s have not had a front plate on them. Can it be registered as a collectible car or something like that?

-Chris

Nothing I know of up there. I used to live in Vancouver, WA, and got pulled over a couple of times for running a car with no front plate. Good luck!

Ken

I'm in WA and I just keep the plate in my trunk with a quick bracket that can be on in 3 minutes if the ever so kind good police officer needs me to put it on because I forgot to do it after the car show.

It's not a moving violation.

I've been running for almost 2 years without a front plate and never been stopped, but I'm sure my luck will run out one of these days.

Saw one guy at Terlingua that had it on his sun visor with rubber bands. He said he hadn't had any problems yet.

I've been stopped twice in the Saleen in the last 16+ yrs and so far not in the Shelby. From my understanding of WA State law you must have the front plate "visible" which usually means throwing it on the dash qualifies, but (like other things) is totally cop dependent.

The last time I was stopped I just said there were no holes up front for a plate. He asked me if I had the front plate and then told me to go back to the dealer to have a plate holder installed. Still haven't made it to the dealer... ;)

I Like Grabber have a plate bolted to a custom made bracket that I keep in the trunk at all times just in case I get pulled over. I have had no front plate on for almost 1 year as of Dec and have had no problem. I do not go out and try to draw any attention with my car that might warrent a police officer. I am sure if I was pulled over for racing or something maybe he might then write me up for not having a front plate. Get A Bracket.

check out these Brackets

http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/purchase.html

I've been running for almost 2 years without a front plate and never been stopped, but I'm sure my luck will run out one of these days.

Saw one guy at Terlingua that had it on his sun visor with rubber bands. He said he hadn't had any problems yet.

That was me. I've done the rubber band to the passenger side visor to all my cars. According to 1 Texas trooper, I'm still "technically" illegal since the law specifies that the plates be on the forward most part of the car and the rear most part of the car. I then asked him point blank "Would you drill the front end of this car?" His reply: "No. I wouldn't give you a ticket either because with it on the visor, I see that you are trying to comply with the law, but technically I could give you a ticket."

Here's the RCW.

RCW 46.16.240

Attachment of plates to vehicles — Violations enumerated.

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times. However, if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times. In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.

There are some cool brackets available.

http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/purchase.html

http://www.calmuscleparts.com/store/SHOW-G...--P28812C0.aspx

Try not to drill into the bumper.........I did and I hate it! :angry2:

• 1 month later...

I got pulled over on Camino Island for no front, told me to put it on soon. Whatever, I'll take the ticket I am not puttting one on. It does not count for your insurance...stupid law...I do not drive drunk so I can take the stop as well. I know several people with collectable cars who do not run them.

I'm in WA and I just keep the plate in my trunk with a quick bracket that can be on in 3 minutes if the ever so kind good police officer needs me to put it on because I forgot to do it after the car show.

It's not a moving violation.

I do exactly what Grabber does. I did come out of a local eatery this fall and the sheriff and a county employee where checking out the car. Had a good talk about cars. Never mentioned the missing front plate. Don't think he really cared.

Got my bracket from HP by Hermann (HPH) 301-931-FORD. Nice piece. Can be put on and off in 2 mins and it doesn't block the heat exchanger.

Archived