TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cold day = more power?

rbrown5051

I may be just imagining this, but this thing seems to be stronger on this, the first cold day in Virginia. I've had my Shelby vert only one week with temperatures in the 70s to 80. Now with the first cold day around 45 degrees, I was amazed at the difference in acceleration. I was most impressed with the acceleration before, but with the cold temperatures, it's a whole new feeling. Higher revs in low gear makes a slight fish tail when changing to second at about 50. I never felt that at the warmer temperatures. Am I dreaming this or does it run better in cooler temps?

I may be just imagining this, but this thing seems to be stronger on this, the first cold day in Virginia. I've had my Shelby vert only one week with temperatures in the 70s to 80. Now with the first cold day around 45 degrees, I was amazed at the difference in acceleration. I was most impressed with the acceleration before, but with the cold temperatures, it's a whole new feeling. Higher revs in low gear makes a slight fish tail when changing to second at about 50. I never felt that at the warmer temperatures. Am I dreaming this or does it run better in cooler temps?

Most definitely Yes!

Cold air is denser than Hot air. Dense air contains more oxygen molecules. This helps your engine produce more power by increasing the amount of oxygen that your engine receives.

By the way, that's why Canadian Shelby's are faster than American Shelby's!! :banvictory::hysterical:

Most definitely Yes!

Cold air is denser air. Dense air contains more oxygen molecules, helping your engine produce more power by increasing the amount of oxygen that your engine receives.

By the way, that's why Canadian Shelby's are faster than American Shelby's!! :banvictory::hysterical:

Can you package that cold air and send it down here? :hysterical:

Airplane pilots are particularly aware of this phenomenon. On hot days your airplane's engine puts out less horsepower which has to be taken into serious consideration when taking off at max gross weight from a short field or from a higher elevation airport. You just might end up in a tree or decorating the side of a hill at the end of the run way.

T0 give you an example of how weather affects your ride. Plug your weather into air density and then check correction factor. For example we ran the quarter in a 03 Mach 1 , 14.57et and 101 mph at 5500' Air (High Plaines Desert) corrects to 13.57 et and 108.3mph Wild Horses.

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/calcda.htm (Air Density Calc)http://www.wallaceracing.com/altitudecorrection.htm (Horsepower correction at altitude)

T0 give you an example of how weather affects your ride. Plug your weather into air density and then check correction factor. For example we ran the quarter in a 03 Mach 1 , 14.57et and 101 mph at 5500' Air (High Plaines Desert) corrects to 13.57 et and 108.3mph Wild Horses.

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/calcda.htm (Air Density Calc)http://www.wallaceracing.com/altitudecorrection.htm (Horsepower correction at altitude)

wow!

is that correction for sea level? at what temp?

i knew it made a difference.... no idea that it took a full second off of the 1/4 mile time!

i guess i shouldn't be expecting low numbers in the quarter mile where i live (Denver.... elevation 5280 feet)!

wow!

is that correction for sea level? at what temp?

i knew it made a difference.... no idea that it took a full second off of the 1/4 mile time!

i guess i shouldn't be expecting low numbers in the quarter mile where i live (Denver.... elevation 5280 feet)!

Yes, It can make a lot of difference. That was a quick, simple example but still the is more or less accurate. For example We run 9.50s at our Hobbs track and run 8.90's in Dallas. Still in warm and humid weather. Lower elevation = more oxy = more power. WH (ps, yes the other was corrected to sea level, and I believe 60 F, can't remember humidity)

Especially the ones located in Humidity Central, Houston Texas!! :hysterical:

How bout the one's in Columbus, Ohio? Takin the wife out today for a Shelby stroll to check out the Fall leafs in norhtern Ohio. Temp will be around 50 degrees. I will be sure to check my acceleration (with the wife in the car of course).

Here's some other handy-dandy calculators you all might find usefull ;) No ADMs either!

Have fun!

-Dan

Thanks Dan, I've seen some of these before, but not all in one place.

Now, I've attached a file for everyone too. This is for those anal engineering types of us....it is a units conversion program that will convert any unit to any other unit. Now you can tell everyone about your 373 kilowatt GT500. :hysterical:

Here's how it works. Click on the tab you want to use. On the left, select the input...the variable you want to convert "from", then on the right, select the one you want to convert "to". Then, in the box at the bottom, enter the amount of the "from" unit...and voila!!

No, I did not write this program, I got it many years ago from an engineer....but it works well.

Dave

Edit: It won't let me add the attachment...I'll try again later and maybe it will work.

Updated edit 10/18/06 - still won't let me add it...moderator...HELP.

Plus, I wouldn't care for the added weight of all those taxes and fees that they tack on. :rant: Talk about "overweight"... :hysterical:

Ouch Joe, don't remind me! Although, all that extra weight from Taxes is quickly claimed by our Government(s) so things, like my wallet and bank account and Shelby, lighten up pretty quick!! :nonono: :rolleyes:

Archived