TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My own Terlingua CAR-toon

Blip

Doing one of what I think our Base Terlingua will look like when finished.

Needs much more detailing.

Here's a few peeks at the steps in the processs...

The basic outline...

TerlBaseGOa.jpg

Adding front rim/tire details...

TerlBaseGOb.jpg

And that's probably a good caricature of my son's smilin' face when driving it.

TerlBaseGOc.jpg

Doing one of what I think our Base Terlingua will look like when finished.

Needs much more detailing.

Here's a few peeks at the steps in the processs...

The basic outline...

TerlBaseGOa.jpg

Adding front rim/tire details...

TerlBaseGOb.jpg

And that's probably a good caricature of my son's smilin' face when driving it.

TerlBaseGOc.jpg

Awesome and thanks for the view into the making of - that is very cool Blip.

My thanks,

VB

Thanks for the kind words. :D

Now the real hard part for me is taking it to a finished image.

It's trying to get the last little bits to look just right that can drive me crazy.

Sometimes I just have to stop and let it alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, in this one, Dad be me, and that's my evil grin pounding away in the 475 hp Heritage, (doing stuff I tell my son to never do), while my 16 yr old enjoys the corner carving pleasures of the Terlingua base package.

Blip,

What kind of software do you use to accomplish the wonderful work that you do? I'm guessing Adobe Photoshop, but I know that a lot of graphic designers also use a variety of other software programs to produce their works of art.

I'm really interested in learning how to produce items like yours, but I realize it will take time to do so. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Blip,

What kind of software do you use to accomplish the wonderful work that you do? I'm guessing Adobe Photoshop, but I know that a lot of graphic designers also use a variety of other software programs to produce their works of art.

I'm really interested in learning how to produce items like yours, but I realize it will take time to do so. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :D

What I use most is the ol' pencil and sketch book. I probably spend triple the time pencil doodling than I do on the PC.

This is what I can pencil out while veggin' out in front of the tube for a few hours.

Nov08Doodles01.jpg

Nov08Doodles02.jpg

To make my finished work, I scan in the pencil doodle and redraw it using a very out-dated program called Expression 3.

(It was bought by Microsoft and allowed to died.) :rant2:

It's a vector drawing program like Abode Illustrator and not a bitmap program like Photoshop.

(I have Illy but never got a handle on using it as well as I can E3.) I redraw a new image in layers above the

pencil design. I usually have at least 4 layers stack over the top of the pencil image. Starting from the top, they are the "body,"

"interior." "wheels," and "background" layers. I'll expand this if I start stacking too many "objects" within any layer.

Don't know if you have any experience with vector programs, but every line or color fill becomes a seperate "object" that can be adjusted

and stacked with other "objects" in a layer. It took me about 6 months to get comfortable with E3, and have been using it for about 5 years now. However, it seems like I still learn something new about it with every CAR-toon.

My best advice is to practice with the pencil first. Get a good understanding of the shapes, proportions and perspectives used in a CAR-toon.

Two ref books I strongily recommend are George Trosley's "How To Draw Cartoon Cars" and

Thom Taylor's "How To Draw Crazy Cars & Monsters Like A Pro."

Both these books have more info than I ever could provide.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks! :D

What I use most is the ol' pencil and sketch book. I probably spend triple the time pencil doodling than I do on the PC.

This is what I can pencil out while veggin' out in front of the tube for a few hours.

[ ... ]

Hope that helps a bit.

I think it takes a special kind of talent or genius to let the reality flow through your eyes, brain, and hands onto paper. Seems to me a lot of it is getting out of the way and letting your self do what it knows how to do; trying too hard often results in strained and disproportionate output.

I've always envied those who can get into that "zone" at will, or never leave it. My few "zone' experience have been isolated and fortuitous, but that didn't detract from their divinity. Y'all (geniuses) leive on a different plane, truly.

You're not only talented, Blip, but exceptionally generous, as well.

Really.

Thanks Blip!

I haven't used a vector drawing program before, so I'm hoping that it isn't too hard to figure out. From what you described, I'll definitely have to start working on some drawings or sketches to improve dramatically. I don't think I'd be able to get anywhere near the detail and perspective that you manage in your sketches.

Do you know if Adobe Illustrator is similar in operation to Expression 3?

Blip,

I managed to find a copy of Expression 3.3, which I'll start trying to figure out. It definitely looks like a powerful program! Do you also use a drawing tablet for entering your images into E3? I have a small Wacom tablet that I've rarely used.

Perhaps we should either create a new thread on this, or use the PM system, rather than hijacking this thread?

Blip,

I managed to find a copy of Expression 3.3, which I'll start trying to figure out. It definitely looks like a powerful program! Do you also use a drawing tablet for entering your images into E3? I have a small Wacom tablet that I've rarely used.

Perhaps we should either create a new thread on this, or use the PM system, rather than hijacking this thread?

Great find. I don't mind answering CAR-tooning questions in this thread, might even help a few other peeps too.

I started out with a just a mouse and would say about 50% of the work is still with a mouse.

(Things like adjusting node points and fine tuning color/gradient fills--that will make more sense as you use E3.)

I added a 4"x 6" Wacom tablet a few years ago and upgraded to a better 6" x 8" version last year.

It's easier for me to drop down the longer outlines and bigger shapes using the stylist.

I also have a 22" wide screen monitor for viewing my work and looking to increase to a 24" soon.

And for the differences between Illy and E3, I would say that E3 features are more intuitive in use for me.

Just click and use where Illy requires more use of hot key combos to do similar functions.

Make sure to spent time cruising thru the included user's guide, there lots of great nuggets of information in there and I found it to be much, much easier to use that Illy's guide book.

Archived