TEAM SHELBY FORUM

PPG Pace Car - M4S Track Video

Thought you guys might want to see some track video of the PPG M4S Pace Car from around 1984.

I looked around the web and the most I could find video wise was some film clips from the movie The Wraith so why not watch some real footage from back then. Amazing what 16 valves and twin turbos can do to the 2.2 motor.

Steve

Thought you guys might want to see some track video of the PPG M4S Pace Car from 1984.

I looked around the web and the most I could find video wise was some film clips from the movie The Wraith so why not watch some real footage from back then. Amazing what 16 valves and twin turbos can do to the 2.2 motor.

Steve

M4S Video

That's a great video Steve! That speed is impressive today as only a handful of supercars on the planet can go that fast. And to imagine it was done nearly 25 years ago! Amazing.

Thanks for posting it up.

Sweet video!

I've never seen that Vid before Steve, where on earth did you find it?? Any idea about the identities of any of the crew that was holding thier breath for the top speed numbers? Guy with the red hair is Hanneman right?

Alan

PS dont forget to drag ANY Rampage/Scamp owners out Thursday you can think of...

.... Guy with the red hair is Hanneman right?
I don't think so Alan. There are two guys with red hair in the video. One appears to have Andy on his blue shirt (waves hat at 195 lap) the other has a white polo shirt on. When I compare them to the pics I have of Neil when he was at SDAC-7 with Carroll, Neil appears to be somewhat taller than either of them. The guy with the white polo shirt also looks to be a little stockier in build than Neil.

Steve it was more of a joke to JT. I was hoping he would have seen both posts on here and on TM, thats all. :D

Ahh thanks for clearing that up. I haven't been to TM in awhile so I didn't know JT put a link up and you're popcorn smiley face kinda made me go huh???

I can sometimes over think things in our little Dodge community but all those poaching accusations between the other two major Dodge boards has me being very cautious that they never start up here.

Ok back to the cars, nothing to see here.

Steve

I don't think so Alan. There are two guys with red hair in the video. One appears to have Andy on his blue shirt (waves hat at 195 lap) the other has a white polo shirt on. When I compare them to the pics I have of Neil when he was at SDAC-7 with Carroll, Neil appears to be somewhat taller than either of them. The guy with the white polo shirt also looks to be a little stockier in build than Neil.

Hanneman had dark hair and a Magnum PI mustache IIRC.

As far as I know the PPG M4S had no involvment from the Chrysler Shelby Performance center. I'm guessing it was 100% Michigan.

Barry post up the pic of Hanneman if you can to refresh Alans memory.

Steve

I've never seen that Vid before Steve, where on earth did you find it?? Any idea about the identities of any of the crew that was holding thier breath for the top speed numbers? Guy with the red hair is Hanneman right?

Alan

PS dont forget to drag ANY Rampage/Scamp owners out Thursday you can think of...

Lets just say with three storage rental units and a overflowing garage I've built up quite a collection thru the years.

I've been doing some digging thru the stuff this past year as SAI wants a historical archive center were Shelby enthusiasts can do research on all of the vehicles Shelby has produced from the 1960's to the current models.

Sounds simple but it's a pretty big undertaking and basically if it doesn't get done now it may never get done. Keep in mind that there is no one left at Chrysler that had anything to do with the turbo cars from the 80's.

Steve

PS- About all I can offer on your Rampage reunion is to photograph the gathering. Now if you were talking about a real truck, like the Shelby Dakota, I could bring three of them from my collection ;)

... Barry post up the pic of Hanneman if you can to refresh Alans memory.

Steve

The folks in the top pic are from left to right:

Myself (seated at table), Scott Griesmann, Neil Hannemann (kneeling next to stroller), the guy leaning on the rear fender of my Lancer was with Carroll and I don't know him, Randy Salk is behind that guy, Carroll seated at the table signing autographs, the guy with the black hat (behind Carroll) I'm not sure of, Dave Zelkowski in the white hat with red bill, John Johnston with hand on poster, and the asian fellow partially obscured is Mark Young. I don't know who the guy with his back to the camera is.

SDAC_7_Carroll_1.JPG

In this second image, myself, Mike Bachmann, Carroll, the guy with Carroll, Neil Hannemann beside him holding his kid, I don't recognize the guy getting his shirt signed, and Dave St. Louis is on the right edge of the pic.

SDAC_7_Carroll_2.JPG

We did not know ahead of time that Carroll was coming. He was in town on business and it was Neil's 40th birthday and Carroll went to Neil's to help him celebrate. Neil mentioned that our convention was in town and they decided to stop by. Carroll signed quite a few cars before walking up. The guy with Carroll that I don't know walked up to the Great Lakes tent and asked if Carroll could sit in the empty chair to get out of the sun. I looked up and saw Carroll walking toward me, and in my astonishment I gladly said yes he could sit there! For the rest of the convention the smile did not come off my face!

That's my Shelby Lancer prototype behind the tent and Carroll signed the passenger side sun visor, and after he got up he signed the left strut tower. So my Lancer has been signed by Carroll in two places.

When Carroll got up from the table, as he was looking around he saw the Lancer sitting there. I told him it was the 'auction' Lancer. He looked over at Neil and said "Damn Neil you must have put about 1000 miles on that car racing it." Neil just nodded his head and they both laughed.

It was a pretty good day!

Archived