TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why it hard to believe,

black86glhs

It's supposed to look that way Bryan, in case you didn't realize it, you have the 'lightweight' 5th gear :rolleyes:

Alan

Funny how all the 86 and 87 S cars end up with that "mod"......

I thought the gravel in a bucket sound was normal..... :headscratch:

It's supposed to look that way Bryan, in case you didn't realize it, you have the 'lightweight' 5th gear :rolleyes:

Alan

Well, that explains everything! :doh:

Funny how all the 86 and 87 S cars end up with that "mod"......

I thought the gravel in a bucket sound was normal.....

It is kind of funny when they sound like GM M-22 4 speed. :spend:

Steve, I am staying with the 555. :peelout: I decided to pull the 525 apart to see if it really had been rebuilt. :rip: Thankfully the magnet grabbed almost everything. Also found the 1-2 shift fork had a broken ear on it. :redcard: Otherwise, the rest of it looks pretty good.

Bryan

• 3 weeks later...
Well, that explains everything! :doh:

It is kind of funny when they sound like GM M-22 4 speed. :spend:

Steve, I am staying with the 555. :peelout: I decided to pull the 525 apart to see if it really had been rebuilt. :rip: Thankfully the magnet grabbed almost everything. Also found the 1-2 shift fork had a broken ear on it. :redcard: Otherwise, the rest of it looks pretty good.

Bryan

After shattering 3 525s with a log engine I never even tried to drive my GLHS with a 525. Took it to the store up the street, got some fresh gas, and put it in my shop. So I almost drove 1 mile before going to the 555.

Today I think the best mod for a GLHS is the 523. You can run the stock GLHS shift knob and use the SRT-4 short throw MP shifter. The early trans has a week 3rd gear retainer plate too. I am a fan of the Spirit R/T clutch, OBX posi, booger bushings, SRT-4 short shifter, Momo shift knob, and 91-92 3.77 geared A523. Looks stock, shifts much better. Posi LMAO and a clutch that holds a modest 215 WHP. Less than $1,000 total as well.

Archived