TEAM SHELBY FORUM

289 Cobra History Question

stpracer43

Have to see if there's any truth to this...

On Monday I met a gentleman at a conference who stated he had once owned a Red 289 Cobra which was the 289 Cobra Carroll Shelby was touring with making visits to the Ford dealers across the country in the '60s.

This gentleman stated Beaudry Ford in Atlanta convinced Mr. Shelby to sell them the car because he needed the money for further development of the Cobra project.

The gentleman stated he eventually bought the car from Beaudry Ford after about 4 years time and ultimately wrecked it in downtown Atlanta traffic....

Seemed like a genuine fellow, so I thought I'd ask the question here.

Fact or Fiction? If fact, does anyone have any info or does the registry reflect any of these details and what is the status of the car today? If fiction, what is known about the original 289 Cobra built by Mr. Shelby?

Thanks,

Keith

Have to see if there's any truth to this...

This gentleman stated the Beaudry Ford in Atlanta convinced Mr. Shelby to sell them the car because he needed the money for further development of the Cobra project.

The last thing CS needed at that point in time was money for the project... SA was flush with support from Ford.

The car may have been a marketing car, but I seriously doubt CS campaigned it around the country. :-)

I checked my data and Beaudry Ford only carried one 289 Cobra. That was in June of 1964.

The car was CSX2379, red with black interior. I don't have my Registry near, but the car can be checked for its history.

Checked the Registry... the car has a "normal" history...arrived at the dealer by transporter... and has a normal resume...is still around and on the road.

Thanks CPUWorks ;o) Clears that up quite nicely I'd say.

Keith

Archived