TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Misaligned exhaust tips

JeffJ

When I first got my car home, I saw that my left rear exhaust tip was not quite right. I thought that maybe somebody hit something with it and that I needed to get it fixed. However, looking at it on the lift, it was clearly not hit and it looked like it was something wrong from the factory. Then I was reading in one of the magazines that this was like this on 30 cars. In the December 2006 issue of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords, under one of the captions it states:

"For you collectors, 30 of the early GT-H's have misaligned exhaust tips. FRPP offered new after-cat systems, but Shelby knew collectors would eat it up."

I've seen two of them, mine is one that has this issue. It only appears to be on the drivers side. Does anybody else here have one of these early cars with the misaligned exhaust? I wonder if Shelby knows which cars these were installed on? Here's what mine looks like:

Exhaust2.jpg

I actually find that misalignment very interesting and worth doing a more in depth research on. I would love to have that misalignment let alone a Shelby GT Hertz. I say again that is one fine piece of art and one hell of a conversation piece. :salute:

I actually find that misalignment very interesting and worth doing a more in depth research on. I would love to have that misalignment let alone a Shelby GT Hertz. I say again that is one fine piece of art and one hell of a conversation piece. :salute:

+1

the gt-h is my fave shelby of all time.

i've never heard of this exhaust flaw, but i'd be really interested to see if anyone else on here has the same thing.

Bend it over.

Yea, I don't think that I'll do that since it came that way and it is an oddity. :)

I do know that the tips on the GTH vs the SGT are different. The SGT tips are very similar, but are a bit more rounded at the back edge. The GTH tips come to a pretty sharp point at the very back edge. I've compared quite a few and I rented a few of these before I bought mine and know them well. Mine are the stock tips. I do polish them on the inside where they angle up to the middle, so that makes them look a bit different also.

Yea, I don't think that I'll do that since it came that way and it is an oddity. :)

I do know that the tips on the GTH vs the SGT are different. The SGT tips are very similar, but are a bit more rounded at the back edge. The GTH tips come to a pretty sharp point at the very back edge. I've compared quite a few and I rented a few of these before I bought mine and know them well. Mine are the stock tips. I do polish them on the inside where they angle up to the middle, so that makes them look a bit different also.

There ya go, kinda like the SGT hood scoops. I'm leaving mine just the way it is, slightly warped, although you have to look pretty hard to see it, dosen't bother me because it dosen't affect the performance of the car. 30 years from now some guy will look at my car and say, " Wow, look at this SGT.........it still has the original hood scoop"! "and look at this.........a SG-H with the original factory misaligned exhaust tips"!

The first 30 FRPP exhaust tips were not built straight. So it is pretty likely that yours also has them. They were not on the very first 30 cars as they were not built in that exact order. My understanding is that once they learned the error, FRPP started building them correctly and the new ones were mixed in. So which cars these are on is still in question. I wonder if SAI actually knows which cars these are on?

• 2 years later...

+1

the gt-h is my fave shelby of all time.

i've never heard of this exhaust flaw, but i'd be really interested to see if anyone else on here has the same thing.

now here is an interesting misalignment photo on kahmann's signature line post #3. but i don't think we have any complaining to say about this. :hysterical: couldn't resist sorry.. i will have to look i am not that sure if mine are alligned or not.

Archived