TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just Got Off The Phone W/My Dealer.

NVWSSV

Finally, after two e-mails a few weeks apart and numerous phone tag messages, I was able to speak with the New Car Sales Manager at the dealership that has a list with my name on it (I'm #3 btw). Now, I don't know about you guys, but since I initially called this dealer last March I have been in contact with 1 Internet Salesman who was in charge initially and when he quit the list was taken over buy the New Car Sales Manager, of which there has now been 3 different ones. Luckily the list hasn't been misplaced and I confirmed my #3 spot. Going through 4 different contacts over the course of 10 months does not give me very much confidence, but thankfully everything is working out AOK. Five Oh B, maybe you could shed some light on why this dealer seems to turn over staff so quickly?

So here's how our conversation proceeded:

Me: So is there any word on when orders can be placed because rumors are estimating mid-March?

Dealer: We don't know yet. Ford hasn't given us the information and I don't want to speculate until it comes directly from Ford.

That was a cool answer IMO. It shows me the dealer isn't spewing BS and would rather wait to give me the correct info rather than taking a wild guess.

Me: So how many people are on your list so far?

Dealer: About 7-8.

Me: Seriously? 7-8 people? That's it? (Keep in mind, I live in the Seattle area so it's not a small town dealer)

Dealer: Yes, we are only putting serious inquiries on the list and you are one of those.

Now I don't know what to think about this answer. Is it good that they don't have a list of 50-70 people to try and get high offers from? Or is it bad because if they don't get the ADM they want from the 7-8 people they'll just order the cars for the dealership and put them on the lot with ADM? Time will tell I guess.

Me: Have you heard any word on pricing yet?

Dealer: No, but I'm guessing they'll be around 50k-60k.

Me: uuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Dealer: Just look at the 04's. They were 40k and this car is head and shoulders above the 04's.

Me: uuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. (Trying to think of something to say)

Me: uuummmmmm, so 50k-60k includes dealer markup?

Dealer: Yes.

I'm not going to freak out over this answer just yet. I'm glad he stated he was just guessing instead of saying the car will be 40k plus a firm 10k-20k mark-up. I'll simply wait until orders can be placed, go to the dealership to order my car and talk about it to them face to face.

We then BS'd for a while and I asked some random questions but nothing to significant. Let me know your thoughts.

Me: Have you heard any word on pricing yet?

Dealer: No, but I'm guessing they'll be around 50k-60k.

Me: uuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Dealer: Just look at the 04's. They were 40k and this car is head and shoulders above the 04's.

Me: uuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. (Trying to think of something to say)

Me: uuummmmmm, so 50k-60k includes dealer markup?

Dealer: Yes.

I'm not going to freak out over this answer just yet. I'm glad he stated he was just guessing instead of saying the car will be 40k plus a firm 10k-20k mark-up. I'll simply wait until orders can be placed, go to the dealership to order my car and talk about it to them face to face.

We then BS'd for a while and I asked some random questions but nothing to significant. Let me know your thoughts.

Not good ,sounds like he 's setting you up for a big markup. :angry: :angry:

If I were you I would not put all my eggs in one basket if you know what I mean.Any other dealers around?

Otherwise you may have to wait and see about the actual production numbers ,if they are as high as 10,000

you shouldn't have any problem getting one at MSRP. IMHO Good Luck B)

I talked to my dealer today. It's a very small dealership, but one of the very first to join SVT. I remember seeing a couple of 1993 SVT Cobras there. My first was a 94 Cobra. I have since purchased 2 other SVT products there (96 Cobra & 98 Contour) & 3 or 4 other Fords.

The owner says he hasn't received anything from Ford but expects the order guide to come down in about a month or so. He thinks supply will meet demand but it probably will take a few months for this to happen. (When the 2005 Mustang came out, this dealer (and remember it is very small, rural dealership) had 3 2004 Cobras that went unsold for months.

Bottom line, he expects to get 3 or 4 Cobras in 07. The first has a deposit and is sold to someone out-of-state. "If you want one, I'll order one for you at MSRP," he said. Usually, I've gotten my SVT products a bit below sticker. Other Mustangs well below.... He's trying to get a Ford GT for an acquaintance of mine & he's promised it at MSRP.

I'm an old guy who probably can do the Shelby deal, but that's a chuck of change for a garage queen. I can't imagine this as a daily driver.

I think that having a deposit down is not going to mean alot to most dealers.

I have a deposit down at my dealer. I am supposedly #1 on thier "list". But I am not willing to pay one dime over msrp.

I think that the initial cars are going to go to those who will pay the ADM. Plain and simple these cars are going to go to the highest bidder... at least initially. I have already pretty much come to terms with the fact that I might not get my car until the spring of 07. I hope I am wrong but being realistic this is what I expect to happen. There is just to much money involved for the dealers to pass it up.

Bottom line, he expects to get 3 or 4 Cobras in 07. The first has a deposit and is sold to someone out-of-state. "If you want one, I'll order one for you at MSRP," he said. Usually, I've gotten my SVT products a bit below sticker. Other Mustangs well below.... He's trying to get a Ford GT for an acquaintance of mine & he's promised it at MSRP.

I am not joking when I say that I'd like to talk to this dealer. I will buy a car from him if he is doing MSRP. Seriously, this dealer is more than welcome to my hard earned money.

Please PM me his contact information and let me know if it's okay to refer your name when speaking with him. Or if you prefer, I can PM you my info to pass on to the dealer.

What state? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.

Thank you very much.

Not good ,sounds like he 's setting you up for a big markup. :angry: :angry:

If I were you I would not put all my eggs in one basket if you know what I mean.Any other dealers around?

It does sound like he's getting ready to ad a big ADM, but I'm going to follow it through until the price negotiations start.

I've tried contacting other dealers in the area, like Five Oh B, but he has like 70 people on the list so far. In hindsight, I should have contacted Five Oh B 10 months ago.

If it doesn't happen form me now, I can wait until the hype settles down. I just want one soooooo bad right now.

Well, last June '05 I put down a $2000 deposit for a coupe at MSRP and followed up with a further $1000 deposit for a total of $3k at the end of December '05. I am told the order books should open in April, that June 1st is the beginning of production for mid-July delivery. He says he hopes to get allocated 12-14 units.

I'm number 2 on the list. I will be ordering the premium interior package for the leather dash, cosole and upgrade arm rests. I haven't seen anything on wheel options, although early on there was talk about options.

Good luck to everyone!!!

KingCobra.

Well, guys, Mr "A", I posted this around 1:00 this afternoon in the "Limited Quantities" thread (if you did not see it):

Well, my dealer just called me (about 10 min's ago)...returned my call after about a week. No slight to him, he was off for a few days.

He said that I'm still #1 on the list for a convertible (out of 70!), but that the owner can't guarantee that I will get @ sticker. This is a very special car with lower production than expected, he said. So, I told him not to take me off the list yet, but I won't pay over sticker...and that I think he may be surprised at the production numbers when announced. Silence. Yeah, that news made me real happy. Happy Monday..........

Good times to be had by all!!! :angry:

See, NVWSSV?? Unfortunately, in this case, we are NOT alone...

Well, guys, Mr "A", I posted this around 1:00 this afternoon in the "Limited Quantities" thread (if you did not see it):

Well, my dealer just called me (about 10 min's ago)...returned my call after about a week. No slight to him, he was off for a few days.

He said that I'm still #1 on the list for a convertible (out of 70!), but that the owner can't guarantee that I will get @ sticker. This is a very special car with lower production than expected, he said. So, I told him not to take me off the list yet, but I won't pay over sticker...and that I think he may be surprised at the production numbers when announced. Silence. Yeah, that news made me real happy. Happy Monday..........

Good times to be had by all!!! :angry:

See, NVWSSV?? Unfortunately, in this case, we are NOT alone...

I feel your pain. Great way to start your work week isn't it.

Is that 70 people for just the vert or 70 people total? If it's just for the vert, all I have to say is damn. Good luck crispy.

I also believe that the first ones are going to bring huge prices, just like the ones on EBAY that people have already committed to paying $14,000 + over MSRP for. I also believe that if we are patient there will be cars to be purchased later. I am #2 on the local dealers list, I asked him what happens if I pass on ordering when my turn comes. Do I go to the bottom of the list, or do I drop to #3? What if I decide to wait until '08? He said he will start a list for the '08's if people are interested. He is telling me that they will be $5000 over MSRP, which sounds like a fair price the way things are going right now, but we don't know for sure how much MSRP is yet. It may get to the point where I just plain can't afford it right now unless I start selling cars that I don't want to sell just yet, and I don't think I'm willing to do that. Guess I'll just have to be patient!

NVWSSV-

This dealer will first offer his cars to those who have purchased several SVT products from him in the past, and to those customers, the price will be MSRP or below. I ordered an 06 Mustang V6, pony package & bought it $150 over his cost. (His profit mostly came from "hold-back."

My legacy comes more from the fact that my family has bought Fords from this family dealership for 50-plus years, not necessarily because I'm near the top of the SVT-purchased list. I know of a couple of guys he will call to see if they want one!

Ahhh the feeding frenzy begins! :wacko: I wish I hadnt seen this coming from so far off, there is just a tremedous amount of interest in this car that is only going to be abated by 10,000 being produced this year and next.

I think we all knew that the dealers could not resist the opportunity to make alot of money on the first cars off the lot. I still believe that Ford will produce more than advertised but as many as orderded might be stretching it.

The car has a unique appeal to it. On one hand the many "Shelby" brings back found memories to the baby boomers and the s/c 5.4 475 hp brings a smile to the faces of a younger generation such as myself. Lots of people want this car.

I was actually happier when people were knocking the looks of the car, but with all this talk of 600 rwhp with $2000 in mods is just killing me because it is bringing back a lot of people who wrote the car off.

Time will tell..

mrsuds wrote:

>The car has a unique appeal to it. On one hand the many "Shelby" brings back found memories to the baby boomers and the s/c 5.4 475 hp brings a smile to the faces of a younger generation such as myself. Lots of people want this car.

One thing we might keep in mind about the Shelby name:

While it certainly adds appeal (a lot), the new Shelby is different in that Ford is building it on its production line. The 60s' Shelbys were comparable to today's Saleens. So, the new SVT product is that - with Shel's name on it. While maintaining the SVT mantra of "exclusivity, etc," Ford can turn these cars out faster and in greater volume than a botique manufacturer. Given Ford's financial position, one would think they will want to sell more rather than fewer.

NVWSSV-

This dealer will first offer his cars to those who have purchased several SVT products from him in the past, and to those customers, the price will be MSRP or below. I ordered an 06 Mustang V6, pony package & bought it $150 over his cost. (His profit mostly came from "hold-back."

My legacy comes more from the fact that my family has bought Fords from this family dealership for 50-plus years, not necessarily because I'm near the top of the SVT-purchased list. I know of a couple of guys he will call to see if they want one!

I hear you gt5001. Thanks.

I've tried contacting other dealers in the area, like Five Oh B, but he has like 70 people on the list so far. In hindsight, I should have contacted Five Oh B 10 months ago.

It wouldn't have helped you to have contacted me that long ago. We've had a list going since March 2005, but we have not taken any deposits, nor have we promised anyone a place in line. I'm in the process this week of going through our list of 70+ interested GT500 buyers that we've talked to so that we can prioritize our "favorite" customers and weed out people with just casual interest that we haven't heard from since their initial interest many months ago.

I certainly don't expect all 70+ people to actually want (or be able to buy) a GT500 when the time comes to order them as many weren't that serious to start with, and some who were have had changes in their circumstances (bought a different car, bought a house, sent the kids to college, moved out of state, etc.).

What I do see on our list is about 10 super serious guys who have been contacting us frequently to remind us that they are still very interested. Half of these guys are very good prior customers of our store, so it is getting easier to see who I'd like to sell GT500's to if I were king for a day and could make that decision (it's not my decision, FYI).

Also worth noting, is that in our little corner of the world I haven't heard of a single dealer who is going to sell them for just MSRP (at least initially). Every dealer in the NW that I've talked to says they're going to put firm ADM's on GT500's for the foreseeable future. We are working diligently on a strategy to ensure that our price is competitive and below the average price elsewhere in our area, but we'll likely end up over MSRP, as well. Love us or hate us, but we're trying to strike a happy medium so that everyone wins.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 19 2006, 10:50 AM) 2585[/snapback]

Also worth noting, is that in our little corner of the world I haven't heard of a single dealer who is going to sell them for just MSRP (at least initially). Every dealer in the NW that I've talked to says they're going to put firm ADM's on GT500's for the foreseeable future. We are working diligently on a strategy to ensure that our price is competitive and below the average price elsewhere in our area, but we'll likely end up over MSRP, as well. Love us or hate us, but we're trying to strike a happy medium so that everyone wins.

Totally understandable Five Oh B. Luckily I'm in no rush and can wait. I'll let the impatient ones buy now and when sales wean, I'll buy one.

Good plan, NVWSSV. Those customers who insist on getting the first of anything pay more. Those who are patient will realize better pricing in the long run. Some people believe that it is worth more money to start enjoying something much sooner than later. Those who wait for a better price, conversely, are giving up time and memories that they could have had with the GT500 had they bought earlier. There is no right answer as to which route to go as everyone will decide what their own priorities are.

Archived