TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Do i have symptoms for the clutch/trans tsb

gotboost500

I have been on this site reading for days now and im not sure..... I have read the tsb but i think if i describe to you guys then i can get a for sure if i should make the appointment to the dealership.. When cold the car shifts great and takes off smooth... when everything fully warms up the clutch is very inconsistant... sometimes i can drive it smooth from a light and then other times its so jerky... very werid, basically like a shudder..also get the chatter... Then when going through the gears 90% of the time i get smooth shifts... no hang ups or anything, then sometimes when pulling the shifter out of 1st gear it feels like the syncros are scraping... this feel goes all the way from pulling out of 1st into 2nd.. but this is the only gear that it ever does it to.... but like i said 90% of the time its smooth... the rest of my gears feel fine.. never had any issues... besides tryin to get into fifth.. i noticed that if i miss fifth lazy shifting, that i have to put it into 4th to get into 5th, if im in neutral and try to go to 5th it wont let me... idk... Then the final issue is the hiss test... this is the important one i need to confirm with you guys.. cause i want to get this fixed before teh weather turns to crap and then i have to wait till next year.... when i am in gear and let out the clutch i obviously hear the hisssssssssss that it makes... but heres the thing, when letting the clutch out i get the hisssssssssss but then i push the clutch back in i hear a faint hiss hiss hiss hiss hiss hiss exactly the way im describing it and it doesnt go away unless i let the clutch out.. its very faint but it is there.. What issues you think im having? After reading all the issues i knew i would be taking it in but not sure if i should do it asap... i have had the car since july and its a build date in feb/2008.... I talked to the service manager where i bought my car and he didnt know what i was talking about but he told me to talk to their svt mechanic, but i dont get out of work till 2:30 and he leaves at 3:30, and i would never get to the dealership in time to talk to the guy.. and i have tried calling but seems hes never there..... I just dont want to have future issues knowing i can get it fixed.. Thanks guys

Nick

anyone?

I'm no expert on this, but if you can here the hisss with the clutch fully depressed to the floor it sounds to me it's dragging and fails under Grabbers test.

Your shifting concerns sounds similar to mine and according to my dealership they claim it's acceptable????????

I'm no expert on this, but if you can here the hisss with the clutch fully depressed to the floor it sounds to me it's dragging and fails under Grabbers test.

Your shifting concerns sounds similar to mine and according to my dealership they claim it's acceptable????????

I hope they dont say thats acceptable, Everytime it does it i grind my teeth cause it just doesnt feel right when it happens and it feels like its hurting something.... as for the hissing... if its doing what you guys say then im gonna have to bring it in soon...

.... then sometimes when pulling the shifter out of 1st gear it feels like the syncros are scraping... this feel goes all the way from pulling out of 1st into 2nd..

... but heres the thing, when letting the clutch out i get the hisssssssssss but then i push the clutch back in i hear a faint hiss hiss hiss hiss hiss hiss exactly the way im describing it and it doesnt go away unless i let the clutch out..

Nick,

Your 2 statements above lead me to believe that you have the problem. The car should not be making that skipping hissing noise in nuetral. I think that the reason it is skipping is because the flywheel has a slight warp in it and since your clutch is not releasing completely....it "skip Hisses".

The car should not be "crunching" during your shift from 1st to 2nd either.

You should read this post if you have not.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=522571

Nick,

Your 2 statements above lead me to believe that you have the problem. The car should not be making that skipping hissing noise in nuetral. I think that the reason it is skipping is because the flywheel has a slight warp in it and since your clutch is not releasing completely....it "skip Hisses".

Thank you for the post guys, im gonna call my dealer tomorrow and talk to them. Really appreciate it.

Nick

Nick,

Grabber I need your help. I have brought my Shelby to my Ford dealership and was turned away because they felt my Shelby doesn't qualify for the TSB repairs. Mistake #1. I think I brought it to the wrong dealership. Although they are a very well established reputable dealer I think I should have brought it to Tasca where they are more into performance SVT Fords and Shelby's.

After leaving my car a few days in my garage these were my findings this morning. I left my drivers door open with the window down and my passenger door window down and shut everything off. I started the car in neutral and released the clutch. I proceeded to press the clutch pedal back down all the way to the floor and heard the hissing noise for a good five seconds. After about five seconds the hissing noise goes away. I tried this for at least a good twenty times and each time the hissing noise lasts a good 5+ seconds and goes away. Each time I did this I would get the hiss when releasing the clutch, but it would go away right away.

Does this sound to you like my clutch is dragging?

A friend of mine asked me to try another test. He asked me to push the clutch pedal in and try to shift it into first gear right away. When doing this from neutral it goes into first gear very hard/ notchy/ clicking. He then asked me to try the same and try to put it into reverse from neutral. I got the same type of feel with the shifter as I did going into first, but when trying it into reverse I hear some cluncking noise coming from underneath. ????

That was the first half of his test. He then asked me to push my clutch in and count to five and then shift it into first gear, glided right in with no hesitataion. Same with reverse and the cluncking noises underneath is not there either.

I know from day one I have always had the clutch chatter pulling out of first or backing up in reverse. To me it seems to have gotten much worse in the two years 9,500 miles. Before I call and ask to speak to anyone at Tasca I was hoping you would reply and any other Team Shelby member that can advise me what I should do.

Grabber I need your help. I have brought my Shelby to my Ford dealership and was turned away because they felt my Shelby doesn't qualify for the TSB repairs. Mistake #1. I think I brought it to the wrong dealership. Although they are a very well established reputable dealer I think I should have brought it to Tasca where they are more into performance SVT Fords and Shelby's.

After leaving my car a few days in my garage these were my findings this morning. I left my drivers door open with the window down and my passenger door window down and shut everything off. I started the car in neutral and released the clutch. I proceeded to press the clutch pedal back down all the way to the floor and heard the hissing noise for a good five seconds. After about five seconds the hissing noise goes away. I tried this for at least a good twenty times and each time the hissing noise lasts a good 5+ seconds and goes away. Each time I did this I would get the hiss when releasing the clutch, but it would go away right away.

Does this sound to you like my clutch is dragging?

A friend of mine asked me to try another test. He asked me to push the clutch pedal in and try to shift it into first gear right away. When doing this from neutral it goes into first gear very hard/ notchy/ clicking. He then asked me to try the same and try to put it into reverse from neutral. I got the same type of feel with the shifter as I did going into first, but when trying it into reverse I hear some cluncking noise coming from underneath. ????

That was the first half of his test. He then asked me to push my clutch in and count to five and then shift it into first gear, glided right in with no hesitataion. Same with reverse and the cluncking noises underneath is not there either.

I know from day one I have always had the clutch chatter pulling out of first or backing up in reverse. To me it seems to have gotten much worse in the two years 9,500 miles. Before I call and ask to speak to anyone at Tasca I was hoping you would reply and any other Team Shelby member that can advise me what I should do.

Brian, your clutch is hanging up and qualifies to be repaired under the provisions of the TSB.

Grabber I need your help.

Brian,

What you have described to me proves you have the problem. No doubt in my mind at all. Those are the exact symptoms that I had. You need to go to another dealership and show them what you just told me. Your vehicle may need to be cold to show the symptoms better.

Rob

Brian,

What you have described to me proves you have the problem. No doubt in my mind at all. Those are the exact symptoms that I had. You need to go to another dealership and show them what you just told me. Your vehicle may need to be cold to show the symptoms better.

Rob

Thanks Rob I'm going to call Tasca and schedule an appointment to bring it in.

Update: It's going in at 8:30 this morning. I will let you know what they say.

Brian,

Rob

Thank you Rob and all for advising me to bring it back in. A full TSB has been ordered and I have a date 0f 10-27-08 for the parts to arrive. Hopefully I can get the parts on time and get the work completed before snow. I know a lot of members have been given dates for parts arriving and have waited quite a bit after before they arrived.

I was quite discouraged a month ago when my dealership told me everything was normal and good. I knew that was crapp, but what choice did I have. Tasca is where I will bring my Shelby for all warranty work from now on.

Now I have to prepare myself for leaving my car with them for a couple days. They informed me the work will take 8 hours, but needed the car for a minimum of two days.

Thanks again.

Brian

'Hope all goes well for you at Tasca, Brian. I have a coupe manufactured on 1/8/08. At first, I encountered some minor clutch chatter when starting out, particularly while in a turn. I now have 1600 miles on the odometer, and very rarely, if ever, encounter clutch chatter. It seemed to improve and/or I became more proficient. I would like to see FoMoCo eventually turn this problem around with a recall.

Thank you Rob and all for advising me to bring it back in. A full TSB has been ordered and I have a date 0f 10-27-08 for the parts to arrive. Hopefully I can get the parts on time and get the work completed before snow. I know a lot of members have been given dates for parts arriving and have waited quite a bit after before they arrived.

I was quite discouraged a month ago when my dealership told me everything was normal and good. I knew that was crapp, but what choice did I have. Tasca is where I will bring my Shelby for all warranty work from now on.

Now I have to prepare myself for leaving my car with them for a couple days. They informed me the work will take 8 hours, but needed the car for a minimum of two days.

Thanks again.

Brian

Brian,

That is great news. :happy feet:

Has this dealer done one of these TSB's before ? I ask this because there are a dozen special tools needed to complete the tranny work. If they don't do trannys....they won't have the tools and you will be delayed. If you need me to e-mail you the WSM (Work Service Manual) proceedures for this work I can. The WSM lists out all the special tools needed.

If they have done this job before....you will be fine, if not, then you need to ask some questions about the tools.

Rob

Brian,

That is great news. :happy feet:

Has this dealer done one of these TSB's before ? I ask this because there are a dozen special tools needed to complete the tranny work. If they don't do trannys....they won't have the tools and you will be delayed. If you need me to e-mail you the WSM (Work Service Manual) proceedures for this work I can. The WSM lists out all the special tools needed.

If they have done this job before....you will be fine, if not, then you need to ask some questions about the tools.

Rob

I'm not sure if they have or not. I'll find out and let you know. I know when they scheduled the repair this morning they informed me they have two transmission tech's and they would schedule my repair

to be completed by the more experienced tech. I believe they called him a master tech. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Tasca Ford is a huge dealership in our area and they are the dealership Carroll Shelby signed a contract with to do the Shelby upgrades on the east coast. I would believe they are well equiped to do the work.

I'll find out though and let you know.

• 1 month later...
Nick,

Grabber:

I need a little bit of your expertise...I've spent a good 5 hours reading the posts on this subject today, and felt it was time to ask...

I've got an 07 Vert, built in May of 06, delivered end of July/beginning of Aug. 06. Got about 13k miles on it.

It has always "crunched" getting into 1st, Reverse, or going 1st to 2nd; cold or warm (other gears are fine, except for 2-3 sometimes)

There was no difference if I tried to put it into 1st/reverse right away, or waited 3-5 seconds then tried to shift to 1st/reverse (test one)

I conducted the "hiss" test and absolutely NO hiss upon depressing the clutch, INITIALLY. After about 5 seconds of having the clutch fully depressed and in neutral, it begins to "skip hiss" as described above. Literally, you hear a faint HISS HISS HISS HISS HISS HISS, destinctly different than the clutch engagmenet hiss.

Now, upon reading the material, I beliveve that the fly wheel is definitely warped, though possibly minimally warped. I think that the clutch has worn out as well. I have also noticed a tick, tick, tick sound when the car is idling in neutral, and, I think that the CSC bearing is also shot.

I live in a pretty urban area, and do a lot of stop/go traffic driving, and a little highway too. I had always chalked it up to this being a performance vehicle. The recent threads make me now think differently.

How would you advise that I approach the dealership (local dealership in Dallas, has a KR, 2 GT500s, a GT/CS, and a Bullit currently on the lot) to ensure that I won't run into the 12k/12 most clutch cop out that some of the dealerships have been using.

Any and all advise would be very helpful. This dealership is where we bought my wife's expedition, and now does all the service on all of our vehicles. Its doing about a grand worth of work on my Taurus right now. I'm on a first name basis w/ one of the older salesmen, and have been impressed with their service so far.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

:shift:

Hello all great stuff from grabber and the others, my question is this my 2009 GT500 (bulid date 08/08) has some cluth chatter when I let off of the throttle in 1st and 2nd gear, the gears are grabbing cleanly, however there is a noticable clicking type sound when I let off the gas. My car has 1,200 miles on it. Do I have the TSB issue? I passed the "Hiss Test"

Archived