TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 GT500

iceman

I just do not think that a dealer that is going to get one car will sell it for MSRP. I keep hearing that this is not a limited car. I realize that it is not a rare car, but for goodness sakes the dealers are only getting 1 or 2 or 3 cars, and they are always months apart. Its all up to the person and there passion for the car. The circumstances might not get better. They might stay the same. Time might run out. There will be another hot Mustang come out. Just waite and see. Time is a precious thing we have, enjoy the time we have, it could end any day! :rockon:

Contact Scott the SVT Guy (stangsunleashed tag), my dealer by the way, MSRP is their motto. They are taking names for 2009's believe it or not

As a basis for discussion, I find it interesting that so very few that have commented on this have made any referance to actual hard part changes. Most of the discussion revolves around styling.

I am talking about HID headlights,a dead pedal, aluminum front end/driveline componants(the rad, the inner fenders, the intake tract itself(betcha all that plastic weighs about 40lbs all up), a specific option for lighter weight wheels(that could be good for a nice profit for Ford),and heaven forbid, charging a grand or so for some firmer suspension settings, among others, the sort of things that would make a real differance in the cars driving dynamics. I have to consider re-evaluating Fords judging of its target customer. I would have thought they would cater to a more performance oriented group, but instead, most of the discussion revolves around things like the SHELBY lettering on the rear deck sort of things, and not the ability to outdrive the headlamps on a dark twisty backroad(an area addressed on earlier SVT product).

Makes me wonder if an R model wouldn't be somewhat wasted on this car and a good number of customers of it?

thoughts? :unsure:

I'm with you 100% if they make a KR performance should be more of a focus than just adding more cosmetic items. The motto should be function over flash, I can understand folks wanting things like the HIDs and the dead pedal those are in line with something that is supposed to be the top of the line for the model. As you point out it wouldn't take much to make a impact on performance thourgh weight reduction. Ford could make a bold move for sure giving the option of either power or regular seats, a backseat delete option, a radio delete option, lighter rims as a option. The drive line componets could be a upgrade option like the firmer suspension, if they felt really froggy they could offer a beffer 5.4L with a aluminum block as a option. Some people are interested in a cruiser type setup some a hardcore performance car and then still others want a little of both. Its the choices that will keep the buzz for Ford when Dodge and Chevy come after them as you have previously pointed out. Ford has to decide to go big and give people options to make the cars unqiue to the person driving them that is what will make them stand out.

As for cosmetics I think the hood needs to be more inline with the prototype something resembling the 68 GT500 hood may fit well from a differnet look for each year stand point and it could be a real help with getting fresh air into the engine compartment and hot air ducted out which I think would be a help on the performance side too. They should fix the lettering on the trunk if they are going to put a shelby tag on it the damn thing needs to be done right people expected the lettering to be centered in the trunk lid how hard is it for Ford to reduce the lettering from the prototype and use them. It must not be to hard the GT-H has them. Ford has a chance to really do something cool with this car they have a ton of opportunities with the performance pack upgrades thourgh FRPP what they do with their opportunities is going to be the tale of the tape in this new era of musclecars that they have the lead in right now.

We all know where the pricing would head if Ford does a KR version and especially if the car goes thourgh Shelby American hands in Las Vegas prices would be off the chain crazy but if the car had the substance changes to warrant it I could understand it. As you said in the winter pricing thread its not going to take much for some folks to get tired of their present GT500 and want something new or different be it by Ford or someone else so Ford needs to be looking to go big with a KR version cosmetics alone aren't going to cut it if they want to stay ahead of the competition.

• 1 month later...

500 additional hp

Wider rear rims/tires

Better suspension (adjustable setup)

12 band eq for the shaker 1000

200 mph speedo

No Event Data Recorders

Selection of various rim designs

Painted Stripes

KB 2.8 from the factory

Heavy Duty hood latch securing system or functional hood pins

500 lbs lighter

Now I would trade mine in for a new one if I could get these items standard!

• 4 months later...

NO wonder FORD & GM are losing market share year after year...how lazy can u get!! NO convertible!! no new engine this car could use a V-10 or even better a new generation 427 (like the new ZO vette)..finally I wish it was a coupe..looks like a fastback to me..and only a thousand cars!!! your losing money!! build as many as u can sell

RicinCT :redcard:

The number one short comming of the car has to be the stock rubber/soft rear suspension bushings. Ford blew it big time with the wheel hop. How many people did not experience wheel hop in the first 50 miles? A real set of LCA and a good upper should be top of the list. I wonder if the KR will be fixed, in this respect.

• 1 month later...
The number one short comming of the car has to be the stock rubber/soft rear suspension bushings. Ford blew it big time with the wheel hop. How many people did not experience wheel hop in the first 50 miles? A real set of LCA and a good upper should be top of the list. I wonder if the KR will be fixed, in this respect.

If I were ordering an 08 which I'm not I would want this wheel hop to be addressed and corrected by Ford first. That would be priority on my list of wants.

1. Run flat tires - no spare included. Or make a small tire that works as spare.

2. No ADM's-then we would all have more money to make changes to the vehicle like exhausts etc...

3. Keyless Entry

4. Light on Vanity Mirror for the "Mrs" like they have in ALL Canadian Shelby's.

5. Exterior temperature gauge

6. MOVE the brake lever so the drivers right knee is not smashed up against it when driving.

7. Passenger side power seat.

8. Align the "Shelby" logo across the back end across trunk lid.

9. Make the guages readable during daylight hours.

10. Eliminate wheel hop (Like it should have been already)

11. "On Demand" valet tune accessible via a password on the information center...detune to <300 HP (GREAT IDEA AD!)

12. Trunk release from inside the car

13. I will be whipped for this one-An Optional Automatic for old men with bad knees!

14. Earphone jacks

15. Another lighter power point in a different area-many people use a radar detector and a cell phone.

1) Mirrors painted to match body color

2) Eliminate wheel hop

3) Use the KR hood and maybe find a way to put turn signal bulbs in the hood a la 1967 cars

4) "On Demand" valet tune accessible via a password on the information center...detune to <300 HP

5) Trunk release from inside the car

6) Colored seat inserts to match body color for ALL colors (ok if this is an extra-cost option)

7) A way to keep the ipod OUTSIDE the console while using it plugged in. Currently you have to either leave it inside the console or smash the cord while your arm rests on the console

8) More than one choice of wheels

9) Radio "auto tune" feature (I have this in my Honda, and it's nice. When you are in a non-local city, you push one button and it tunes in the 10 strongest channels automatically. Pressing the button again takes it back to your local channels). Drives me nuts when I'm travelling in this car and have to hunt for a station.

10) Use red stitching in the interior only when it goes with the exterior color...or maybe just use black/charcoal on all cars if that's too difficult. The red works well on my car, but I feel bad for those of you with blue cars and red stitching.

AD

11. "On Demand" valet tune accessible via a password on the information center...detune to <300 HP (GREAT IDEA AD!)

Are you serious? Who in their right mind would let a lot monkey park their Shelby? Get off your lazy ass and walk from the parking spot. Anyone that lets a "valet" park their car deserves to have a few thousand tire miles left on the lot. Note to lot monkeys: burn baby burn!!!!

Archived