TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 GT500

iceman

This is not so much a rumor just a a topic of discussion for those like myself waiting for an MSRP deal and those lucky enough to have a Shelby GT500 now at any price. There are certain little things I would like to see as a model yr. change and likely they won't happen but I was wondering what others thought. These are things that pop into my head in particular order.

1. I would love to see the rear tail lights have the 6 lights like the old Shelby that at one point someone photoshopped on here - that was sharp.

2. I would like the SHELBY centered on the trunk lid.

3. I am a fan of quarter scoops. I would love to see some functional quarter scoops.

4. An option to have the car built with different gears (4.10's seem to be a popular after market choice)

5. Painted stripes as an option would be nice for those of you that want them - I want no stripes but would love the Windevil Blue option for color.

6. No ADM would be my #1 request and likely as realistic as the option to pick the car up at the factory.....but I still want to do my trade in so yes I know I am asking for everything. The other part of this is I would like one to end up in my driveway/garage.

7. While I am sure many dealers hate the idea I like the idea of certain dealers selling the specialized cars. I think they should have to know the product and be able to service it to sell it so go back to the SVT cert. dealres only selling the car....it may be a mess for ADM that way even more than now but at least people would know the product then.

Any one have any other thoughts/ideas?

I think the GT500 is great the way it is as built. But to further refine this car, it would be my wish list below to Ford for the '08 if possible:

1. Scoops before the rear wheels like the '07 GT/CS. The extra body panels are just perfect on the car and would look at home on the GT500.

2. 'Drag pack' option with steeper gears and more efficient air intake system (like on Shelby GT's), maybe with a hood scoop for the air intake.

3. The air outlets on the hood need to be more like the prototype car, it looks much better.

4. No dealer markups.

5. Make the car lighter.

:rockon:

I think the GT500 is great the way it is as built. But to further refine this car, it would be my wish list below to Ford for the '08 if possible:

1. Scoops before the rear wheels like the '07 GT/CS. The extra body panels are just perfect on the car and would look at home on the GT500.

2. 'Drag pack' option with steeper gears and more efficient air intake system (like on Shelby GT's), maybe with a hood scoop for the air intake.

3. The air outlets on the hood need to be more like the prototype car, it looks much better.

4. No dealer markups.

5. Make the car lighter.

:rockon:

GOOD LUCK on the 4th wish.

1. Wider tires - traction is a major issue

2. Run flat tires - no spare included

3. Aluminum block to save a little weight

4. Better looking exhaust tips

5. Exterior temperature gauge

No major issues with this car from my perspective, with the exception of traction. I LOVE it! :shift:

Great choices JR. You may have just perfected it. Although I love it as it sits as well. :party:

Lets see

#1 NO ADM's bull.

#2 My damm car to get here while I have the @#$*ing money

#3 don't need heated seats I am hot enough

Did I mention I wnat my car now

Sorry had to vent. I will go back to my cage.

Shelby centered on the deck lid, yes heated seats, a hot Blond seat covers, different selection of rims, and a KR option.

sorry for the neg. vibs need beer.

MCLE

MCLE.....yes, we need more beer. Will be a long cold winter without a shelby in the garage. :beerchug:

at 1000 per month or so production, you would think our names would show up eventually. Saw a couple on ebay near you over in central and west kansas, but nothing reasonable. Maybe time to switch our avatars to something more like our mood.

troll.jpg

..or maybe just have my cousin bubba have a short discussion with one of these ebay dealers. :hysterical:

bubba_with_long_gun.jpg

troll.jpg

bubba_with_long_gun.jpg

I would be interested in your comments on this thread from 18 months ago. ??? Same issues?

Yep looks like a very familiar list. I'd like to hear from a few more people that have the car and may see some things in day to day driving that they would change. It will be interesting to see if the 08 has any additional options or slight differences to set it apart from the 07 or if they just say "it ain't broke, don't fix it". That was the picture of the tail lights I was thinking of though. I really like that look.

Have you cousin give me a call we can go Rabbit and Squirrel hunting together I will take my 50 cal BMG, he can take his small gun to. We will save the big guns for the salesman hunting. Yes there is a few in the area, Great Bend is getting two both sold they have a red and white in the show room now the place kicker for the Redskins bought it. Bet He did not have a dora the first damm day this shit started. there is one in Larned, a Vista Blue (on e-bay) the color I want. my wife WILL NOT let me go see it, she knows I would be impossable to live with. Marion Ks. Has sold one getting one more in but sold to. The salesman that I have spoken with might have joined this here fourm? not sure cause I don't log on as much as before. If I have to wait till the 08 comes out I might have to jump and get something else. Thinking old school and starting to look at a 68 mach 1 or a challenger. Sold the 442 got good money but used it to help buy my new biz. That is helping with the PSDS but not much. I WANT MY DAMM CAR NOW!

1 Aluminum block and other weight savers

2 Dana IRS

3 Side scoops functional or not (later original Shelby's had non functional side scoops)

4 Heads up display (come on this is 21st century!)

5 Upgrade the stupid half square looking steering column controls and add Stereo/ CD controller to steering wheel

No ADM is a given.

Heads up display for the iPod - yea baby

side bolstering / firmer sides on seats

dead pedal

pouch where (or near) map lites are

break away side mirrors - painted

painted on stripes

a more agressive tune out of the box - make em 500 HP to the rear wheel

better/louder axle back mufflers

better hood prop design

lower ride height by about 3 or 4 inches

short throw shifter

If it's like the 07's.... They need a trunk release inside the car

Because my recently sold 69 GT500 had an auto tranny & my wife wants it - an auto option.

The originals had it.

Like everyone kill the dealer markups.......

I also agree with the SHELBY signage on the rear end

:happy feet:

Heads up display for the iPod - yea baby

side bolstering / firmer sides on seats

dead pedal

pouch where (or near) map lites are

break away side mirrors - painted

painted on stripes

a more agressive tune out of the box - make em 500 HP to the rear wheel

better/louder axle back mufflers

better hood prop design

lower ride height by about 3 or 4 inches

short throw shifter

The iPod interface sucks...as it does on all external audio...because of the sampling rate. If you had a heads-up display it would say "This sounds like sh*t, doesn't it?"

Side bolstering/firmer sides on seats??? Do you have your car yet?

Dead pedal? You're right. The big styrofoam thing sucks. Steeda has a fix. I have one in my car.

Pouches? We don't need no steeenkin pouches. In an overhead spot? Nah.

Break away mirrors? Expecting problems? They actually look fine on white, dark colors and red. Grabber, etc doesn't look so good with big black elephant ears.

Painted on stripes. Yeah, that would be great but everybody was bitching about the price, so think how it would be with another 2000 bucks (cost, not retail) worth of paint and labor thrown in the mix. Mine will be done in a couple of weeks and I'll post the pix. Leaving the side stripes vinyl....every painter I spoke with said to do so for obvious reasons.

More aggressive tune....Just how much of a gas guzzler tax would you like to pay? I wasn't shot in the butt about $1300! Do the math...you can get 500rwhp with a tune and CAI for less than $500. Granted, it's not warrantied, but ifyou wanna play you gotta pay.

Better/louder axle-backs. Couldn't agree more, but 60% of us would still change them, so why deal with the EPA problems if you're Ford? MUCH easier and cheaper to pass the sound test with something off the shelf.

Better hood prop design....Yeah, like NONE. I still can't believe they do this. It's not a friggin' Maverick Grabber! Steeda has this fix, too. Been there....done that...like it a lot. 20 minutes with a wrench and you're good to go.

Lower ride height? No kidding. I mean, the rake thing looks kinda cool, to a point. That's next on my agenda....but I really like the ride/performance trade as it is. This will take some thought, and dough.

Short throw shifter? Good luck. The aftermarket shifters have sooo little over the stock unit that you'd be hard pressed to realize the value vs cost.

Overall....a great car. But as you suggest, everything can get better. The funny thing is, they're doing that now with nav, etc available in wave 2 and people are whining about it. Geeez.

:shift:

bj

1. I'd want the sidescoops that are on the shelby cs6 but functional

2. cdc quarter window scoops functional

3. better brembo brakes crossdrilled both front and rear an 6 piston calipers

4. Taillights just like the 67GT500 the 68's were uglier

5. shelby lettering like on the concept but a little smaller letters

6. ducktail spoiler like the 67 and 68

7. should have redfire, satin silver, and windveil blue as full colors.

8. Should have vista blue stripes available with satin silver and ebony stripes on torch red

9. shouldnt be able to delete the side stripes thats wrong.

10. Shelby Razor wheels (wheels on the cs6 painted gunmetal)

11. Should have black/blue and black/silver trim seats available.

12. Ford Racing should offer all of their performance parts for the gt for the gt500

13. and last but not least there has to be a fold down middle seat in the rear. (make the bump in the middle able to fold up for a third seat) this is a major problem for me because i've got 3 kids and i bring the neighbor's kid to school so when we take my 06 mustang gt one of them has to sit on the big bump in the back between the 2 seats.

As a basis for discussion, I find it interesting that so very few that have commented on this have made any referance to actual hard part changes. Most of the discussion revolves around styling.

I am talking about HID headlights,a dead pedal, aluminum front end/driveline componants(the rad, the inner fenders, the intake tract itself(betcha all that plastic weighs about 40lbs all up), a specific option for lighter weight wheels(that could be good for a nice profit for Ford),and heaven forbid, charging a grand or so for some firmer suspension settings, among others, the sort of things that would make a real differance in the cars driving dynamics. I have to consider re-evaluating Fords judging of its target customer. I would have thought they would cater to a more performance oriented group, but instead, most of the discussion revolves around things like the SHELBY lettering on the rear deck sort of things, and not the ability to outdrive the headlamps on a dark twisty backroad(an area addressed on earlier SVT product).

Makes me wonder if an R model wouldn't be somewhat wasted on this car and a good number of customers of it?

thoughts? :unsure:

As a basis for discussion, I find it interesting that so very few that have commented on this have made any referance to actual hard part changes. Most of the discussion revolves around styling.

I am talking about HID headlights,a dead pedal, aluminum front end/driveline componants(the rad, the inner fenders, the intake tract itself(betcha all that plastic weighs about 40lbs all up), a specific option for lighter weight wheels(that could be good for a nice profit for Ford),and heaven forbid, charging a grand or so for some firmer suspension settings, among others, the sort of things that would make a real differance in the cars driving dynamics. I have to consider re-evaluating Fords judging of its target customer. I would have thought they would cater to a more performance oriented group, but instead, most of the discussion revolves around things like the SHELBY lettering on the rear deck sort of things, and not the ability to outdrive the headlamps on a dark twisty backroad(an area addressed on earlier SVT product).

Makes me wonder if an R model wouldn't be somewhat wasted on this car and a good number of customers of it?

thoughts? :unsure:

I guess that the only real concerns so far, are cosmetic. I am surprised that Ford doesnt have all of their perf. packages ready at time of order as options. ie: handling, drag pack, ect,ect

I guess that the only real concerns so far, are cosmetic. I am surprised that Ford doesnt have all of their perf. packages ready at time of order as options. ie: handling, drag pack, ect,ect

I'm pretty sure that's how the Shelby GT is teed up. All the at-factory options will be available on the ordering checklist, but they are like a niche line anyway.

Afterward, you can go & order Shelby American specific parts on line. Pretty cool stuff. I think Ford Motor Company is just too big to do that. It's understandable. Or maybe they are watching web sites like these to find the 'sweet spot' for their niche products, to be retrofitted @ Ford dealers. :shrug:

I agree w/Jetsolver, though...performance items would be cool. I don't think Ford is too concerned, because this car (from a sales/marketing standpoint) was a grand-slam. They should take heed as Chevy & D/C are coming up to the plate...and it's not clear what size bat they are bringing....so owner's observations & wishes should be listened to.

I actually would like to see a lot of the cosmetic changes....even if just show a change from 2007-2008. I like how you used to look at cars and know the year from a subtle body change....lights & scoops primarily butI still like the idea of painted strips...but see the challenge there as an option too - and from a production standpoint if it's that hard to just get the damn stickers on right, imagine the delays for painting.

I would love to see the aluminum block but from a cost standpoint I see why that isn't there...not that I would have a problem paying an extra few K for it but then I assume the ADM goes up too??? In anycase I think they should look at options for things like suspention and gears for sure. THe dead pedal should be done just to make the car right, there is no reason that isn't included for 40+K.

I'm sure there are other little things that could be done but I do think there needs to be an aftermarket too....little things that could also sace weight like AC delete (especially in a vert), no power sears/windows could be good options. I could care less about power seats, but admit I am a fan of power windows (again esecially in a vert. Even a set up with a trunk based battery as an option would be cool. THe lihts should be a given. Other options as wheels should be an option as well.

I just really hope that there is something to set the 2007 and 2008 editions apartbut I suspect there will not be.

Just spoke to my cousin Bubba, this is our list of "should be " changes:

1. Raise the height in the rear at least one foot.

2. Lower the front one inch from the ground.

3. Narrow polyglass tires...just like the 60's, for smokey one mile burnouts.

4. Scoops on the hood, roof, doors, and trunk lid.

5. Big Dice hanging from the rearview mirror.

6. Dingle Balls hanging inside the car....again just like the 60's.

7. Tweed cloth interior.

8. Add more weight to the car, at least 1000 lbs.

9. Cut the blower belt off, for less power.

10. Add plum crazy purple to the color option.

11. Use cherry bomb glass pack mufflers for that 60's sound.

Just kidding of course. the only thing I would like to do is lower the back to the same height as the front. And I am in process of ordering red mirror covers,(they cover the entire mirror) getting them from a company in Chicago.

PM me if you need address/phone number.

Enjoy,

svtkeith

This is not so much a rumor just a a topic of discussion for those like myself waiting for an MSRP deal and those lucky enough to have a Shelby GT500 now at any price. There are certain little things I would like to see as a model yr. change and likely they won't happen but I was wondering what others thought. These are things that pop into my head in particular order.

1. I would love to see the rear tail lights have the 6 lights like the old Shelby that at one point someone photoshopped on here - that was sharp.

2. I would like the SHELBY centered on the trunk lid.

3. I am a fan of quarter scoops. I would love to see some functional quarter scoops.

4. An option to have the car built with different gears (4.10's seem to be a popular after market choice)

5. Painted stripes as an option would be nice for those of you that want them - I want no stripes but would love the Windevil Blue option for color.

6. No ADM would be my #1 request and likely as realistic as the option to pick the car up at the factory.....but I still want to do my trade in so yes I know I am asking for everything. The other part of this is I would like one to end up in my driveway/garage.

7. While I am sure many dealers hate the idea I like the idea of certain dealers selling the specialized cars. I think they should have to know the product and be able to service it to sell it so go back to the SVT cert. dealres only selling the car....it may be a mess for ADM that way even more than now but at least people would know the product then.

Any one have any other thoughts/ideas?

Well - I spoke to one dealer that was ready to let me order for 2008 yesterday. He said they only got 1 2007 but had no list and could take an order for a 2008. I was pretty pumped until I asked about pricing and he told me they got 20K over for the 2007. He didn't say he expected that for the 08 but that was the message. I told him to keep my name and if he wants to do an MSRP deal to let me know which he said he would. It was not a bad expereince at all. It's a dealer in Indiana if anyone is interested and willing to pay an ADM they likely would come down off the 20K but I am still holding out for MSRP. PM me if you want info and are willing to pay the adm and I'm happy to provide the details. But I am hoping I won't get any messages on this as i want to see the ADM getting passed up on for a while.

Well - I spoke to one dealer that was ready to let me order for 2008 yesterday. He said they only got 1 2007 but had no list and could take an order for a 2008. I was pretty pumped until I asked about pricing and he told me they got 20K over for the 2007. He didn't say he expected that for the 08 but that was the message. I told him to keep my name and if he wants to do an MSRP deal to let me know which he said he would. It was not a bad expereince at all. It's a dealer in Indiana if anyone is interested and willing to pay an ADM they likely would come down off the 20K but I am still holding out for MSRP. PM me if you want info and are willing to pay the adm and I'm happy to provide the details. But I am hoping I won't get any messages on this as i want to see the ADM getting passed up on for a while.

I just do not think that a dealer that is going to get one car will sell it for MSRP. I keep hearing that this is not a limited car. I realize that it is not a rare car, but for goodness sakes the dealers are only getting 1 or 2 or 3 cars, and they are always months apart. Its all up to the person and there passion for the car. The circumstances might not get better. They might stay the same. Time might run out. There will be another hot Mustang come out. Just waite and see. Time is a precious thing we have, enjoy the time we have, it could end any day! :rockon:

Archived