TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2004 Terminator

diamondback

I went out cruising around today(one of the last nice days left in the north) and stopped by the ford dealer and they had a Black 2004 Cobra Vert with 2.8k miles for $23,000.00. I thought to myself MAN I hope my car does lose its value that fast. The salesman let me sit in it and tinker around and wow those seats ROCK. The seats have adjustable horizonal and vertical side supports it was like litteraly clamping me into the seat after I adjusted it(never heard of anything like that before).

I have been reading up on these a bit and was wondering from a purely cost standpoint, how come the 07-09 models are ten grand more than the 03-04's? I mean from a manufacturing cost standpoint, the only difference I see is the 03's and 04's have IRS and an Aluminum drive shaft which is more money to manufacture. As far as I know everything else is basicly equal from a manufacturing standpoint and would cost the same to produce. Dont go postal on me here I am just curious and if someone knows where did the cost diff of 8-10k come from? Some of my guesses would be:

1) 1-2k inflation

2) 1-2k Shelby nameplate per car

I put a comparo doc together if anyone is interested.

2004_2007_SVT_Comparison.doc

2004_2007_SVT_Comparison.doc

I had an 03 Cobra vert 10th anniversary that I sold with 12,000 miles on her for $26,500. The seats were much more comfortable than my 07. I loved that 03 but I would take my 07 over it anyday. Remember they were offering I think $3500 rebates on those towards the end of the 2 year run. Sticker was around $40,000

I own a 2003 SVT Convertible and a 2008 GT-500.

They are COMPLETELY different cars. In fact, I hated the GT-500 for the first week I had it. Of course, once I realized that they were different cars, I grew to appreciate the GT-500 for what it is; a big, wide, lumbering muscle car with LOTS of horsepower. On the other hand, the 2003 SVT is more "vette-like" in ride and handling.

That being said, I purchased my 2003 SVT NEW for ~32k in the summer of 2004. Again, that was an election year, a republican was up for re-election so the media was talking down the economy as much as they could. Ford couldn't GIVE SVT Mustangs away that year! (HINT: Always buy gas-guzzlers in presidential election years when a republican is the incumbent).

Anyway, the price difference is STRICTLY profit. They're making money off the Shelby name and mystique. It appears to have worked very well.

One other note, the 4.6ltr engine in the 2003 uses CONSIDERABLY LESS fuel than the GT-500, even when driven comparably. I own four cars. The 2003 Cobra vert is my "economy" car!

I had an 03 Cobra vert 10th anniversary that I sold with 12,000 miles on her for $26,500. The seats were much more comfortable than my 07. I loved that 03 but I would take my 07 over it anyday. Remember they were offering I think $3500 rebates on those towards the end of the 2 year run. Sticker was around $40,000

WOW $3500 rebates!!! I guess by 04 everyone seen what the new 05 model was going to look like and decided to wait for the next SVT itteration. I guess I can easily see that happening because of how beautiful this model looks. I bet their happy they did wait because the SVT turned out to be even more beautiful than the standard model.

I own four cars. The 2003 Cobra vert is my "economy" car!

:hysterical: LOL...

The salesman was going to let me test drive it but he said only if I was seriously interested and having too much respect for the car(not the salesman) I said no just looking but he did let me start it up and I noticed two bad things right away.

1) You need Arnold Schwarzenegger's leg to push in the clutch

2) The gas pedal responce is lagging and/or slow (where the GT500 is real time and instantanious)

the price jump is because the 04 Cobra was built off a 79 Fairmont and the 07 GT500 is built off the brand new 05 S197 chassis which is leaps and bounds better.

Larger engine, better heads, better cooling, new larger and more efficient blower, stronger tranny (viper spec), stronger clutch, better brakes, more luxury on the interior, redesigned body completely.

those changes alone, then add in Shelby name and the hype and you easily get it.

the gt500 is just more car than the terms, actually the GT500 is $7k more than an 04 Term not including rebates and other discounts and or markups

Bought my 03 10th Anniversary Coupe Labor Day weekend in 03, had 3500 rebate and got into his hold back money as well, ended up paying $29,500 for it. He had six 03 Cobras on the showroom floor the day mine came off. Sold it this past February for $24,000 even. Had 54K on it. Seems like the sticker on it was $36K +. Got the 08 for MSRP, price difference was about 8K. Wierd thing, insurance for the 08 was less the day I put coverage on it then it was for the 03. Only rational I can come up with is it is a better built, safer car, at least in their book.

Now having said all that, IMHO the 08 is superior in all respects to the 03, not that the 03 was bad it is just that the 08 is that much better! Would I like to have the 03? You bet but even though I have three acres to park cars on having a different car to drive every day of the week with two spares would have been a bit much. My wife does have a sense of humor but there are limits. I had to grudgingly agree that eight is enough!

Bought my 03 10th Anniversary Coupe Labor Day weekend in 03, had 3500 rebate and got into his hold back money as well, ended up paying $29,500 for it. He had six 03 Cobras on the showroom floor the day mine came off. Sold it this past February for $24,000 even. Had 54K on it. Seems like the sticker on it was $36K +. Got the 08 for MSRP, price difference was about 8K. Wierd thing, insurance for the 08 was less the day I put coverage on it then it was for the 03. Only rational I can come up with is it is a better built, safer car, at least in their book.

Now having said all that, IMHO the 08 is superior in all respects to the 03, not that the 03 was bad it is just that the 08 is that much better! Would I like to have the 03? You bet but even though I have three acres to park cars on having a different car to drive every day of the week with two spares would have been a bit much. My wife does have a sense of humor but there are limits. I had to grudgingly agree that eight is enough!

Very interesting. I thought the 03's had the same high demand as the 07's but it sounds that its not even close, REBATES and discounts the first year!!??. Just goes to show you that people ultimately(especialy me) want it all, both hot looks and hot power. Power alone cant draw the numbers, GTO proved that. The 07-09's are still getting 5k markups in most areas. The hype, the collectors collecting them, the constant markups over a 3 year time span, the demand, the attention, the power, the looks and the nostalgia of the 07-09's make these models ledgends and icons and because of these attributes, they will become very valuable in the near future...

The 03s commanded ADMs when they first came out, the hype for the "Terminator" was just nuts, but as the model year progressed the ADMs came off and as the 04s hit the show room with 03s still sitting around.......and add to that the news or the "new" Mustang was leaking all over the place along with "spy" photos. I traded my 99 Cobra for the 03, it was a deal I just couldn't turn down even though I had started my parts gathering for the 99 (any one need an under drive pully set up and a CAI for a 99?)....cheap!

I had an 03 vert with every bolt on possible (whipple, coilovers, longtubes you name it). Loved the car and missed it when I first got the 500. Not now...this car is much more refined and powerful with a couple of cheap mods. The seats in th 03 were nicer thou.

Larger engine, better heads, better cooling, new larger and more efficient blower, stronger tranny (viper spec), stronger clutch, better brakes, more luxury on the interior, redesigned body completely.

You left out that the windows don't leak when going through a touchless car wash. That was a feature worth upgrading for. Nothing worse than paying $30k+ for a car that gets the passenger wet.........FROM A CAR WASH PEOPLE :fool:

I liked the seats better in the 04 as well as I have to try to stay put in the GT500. Since I had a 94, 99, 01, & 04, I was a little tired of that interior design. The 04 had more low end & was easier to get slide-ways. :dance:

To make a long story short. Some bia hit me at 65 mph in the rear when I was stopped in rush hour traffic BEHIND A FREAKING TOUR BUS! HOW COULD YOU NOT SEE THE MILES OF BRAKE LIGHTS & LARGE A$$ TOUR BUS?!?!??!?

I lost 7k on that car when I traded, but it had been cut in half to repair. :rant2: At least now I have my dream car.... Kinda funny, I have said that since my second Mustang 93 GT....then again with the 01....& 04.

Anyone need any 99-04 Cobra Parts? I had just started modding when I was hit.....most were not on the car yet. Full Tubular suspension, Bassani Cat-back & Catted X (both with around 2k miles on it courtesy of her insurance co), Chip, Coil-overs, OEM wheels, Racing Hart Type C-5's (18x8.5 & 18x10), intake....

I will get a list together & post in the appropriate catagory as I need mod/gas/tire money for the Shelby! :happy feet:

I have both my GT500 and an 03 Cobra in the garage together, side-by-side, and I will have people know that although I feel the GT500 is a "better" car, the Terminator is a sweet ride. Lighter, 4.6 revs faster, and you get more performance for the money simply because the GT500 costs more. Mustangs have always been about performance for the money, and right now the Terminator has the advantage. Yes, the shelby can ultimately have more performance, but for more money.

So they are both sweet and I am also proud of how people compare the two even though the terminator has been done for 5 years already.....tells you how GOOD it really was! Heck, a Whipple'd or KB'd 03-04 Term is nothing to laugh at!!!

Enjoy.

To the above, I would add that the GT500 has a lot more to distinguish it from the Mustang GT than most people realize. When I got mine, I was looking for something that identified all the unique aspects of the GT500, but other than some items mentioned in the owner's supplement, I could not find a complete listing. I put together a list from various articles/reviews/forums. Feel free to suggest items/corrections.

General Features:

• Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars.

• Unique 18" wheels

• Active Alarm system – standard

• No spare tire or jack - Onboard air compressor and fix-a-flat kit

• Wheel locks – standard

• Speedometer and Tach are swapped

• Boost gauge in place of the voltmeter

• Up-Shift indicator

• Performance Shift Indicator/audible alert

• Rear deck Spoiler, chin spoiler/splitter

• Rear diffuser under the bumper

• Leather covered steering wheel and parking brake handle

• Some unique interior items - seats, leather on some seating surfaces, etc. with premium interior package

• Unique SVT door sill plates

• strut tower brace

• Dual fuel pumps

• Engine oil cooler

• 5.4L engine uses 5W50 oil full-synthetic oil rather then 5W20

• Flat wiper blades

• 6-Speed Tremec T-6060

• Satin aluminum finished dash

• Unique exhaust system with X-pipe

• Unique aluminum hood with functional heat extractors

Engine:

• Shares bore, stroke, deck height, and bore spacing with the 5.4-liter Ford Triton truck engine.

• Camshafts from 2004 Cobra. (Navi intake and 99/01 exhaust).

• Eaton R122 supercharger delivers maximum boost of 8.5 psi.

• GT500 uses an 8-bolt crank vs. a 6-bolt crank for the GT.

• A larger capacity radiator and increased-capacity cooling system also are installed.

• GT500 has all-new low-profile intake manifold, which allows the engine to fit under the GT500's special air-extraction hood.

• Dual-bore electronic throttle body borrowed from Ford's 6.8-liter truck engine program.

• Larger radiator, increased-capacity cooling system and the exhaust manifolds are unique to this application.

• Cast-aluminum, four-valve cylinder heads, piston rings & bearings sourced from the Ford GT supercar. Developed specifically for supercharged applications, these high-performance heads use high-flow ports and specially calibrated dual-overhead camshafts to deliver optimum engine "breathing" along with surprisingly good fuel efficiency and emissions. Also borrowed for use in the GT500 are the Ford GT's proven piston rings and connecting rod bearings.

Rear Axle:

• Live Axle upgraded over GT with stronger differential case material.

• New differential side gears, and increased ring gear bolt torque.

• Final drive is 3:31, same as the GT with automatic transmission.

• GT500 uses carbon clutch packs in the Traction-Lok limited-slip differential.

• Larger Pinion Bearing

Suspension:

• Proprietary steering pump and torsion arm to bump up steering feedback.

• GT500 uses a different front lower control arm with increased strength ball joints.

• To dial-in even crisper steering response into an already rigid chassis, SVT added special shock-tower bracing and an additional structural "K-Member" (a brace that connects the rear lower arm bushings side to side) for track-capable performance.

• The GT500's suspension is lower than a Mustang GT's, and uses recalibrated front and rear shocks, upgraded front and rear stabilizer bars and revised spring rates.

• Key to the GT500's three-link architecture, according to Ford, is the Panhard rod that provides precise control over the rear axle. It's centrally located and fastened to the upper front end of the differential, while trailing arms are located near each end of the axle.

• Constant-rate coil springs and outboard shocks are also specially tuned for a controlled yet compliant ride. The shocks are located on the outside of the rear structural rails, near the wheels, reducing the lever effect of the axle and allowing a more precise and slightly softer tuning of the shock valves.

• The GT500 incorporates a separate upsized rear stabilizer bar to reduce body lean, adding to the sophisticated handling precision and performance.

• 18-by-9.5-inch wheels wrapped in massive rear tires measuring P285/40ZR18 and fronts measuring 255/45R18.

• Brembo front rotors are 14 inches in diameter,and clamped by four-piston aluminum calipers. In the back, GT500 utilizes the Mustang GT’s 11.8-inch vented two-piston caliper rear-disc setup with unique pad material.

• The SVT crew focused on retuning every bushing, damper calibration, bar size, and spring rate for this new assignment. What they achieved is commendable: a cornering limit boosted from the Mustang GT's 0.87 g to the GT500's world-class 0.95 g without trashing the ride or bombarding the cockpit with road noise.

• Key to the GT500's three-link rear architecture is the Panhard rod that provides precise control over the rear axle. A central torque control arm is fastened to the upper front end of the differential, while trailing arms are located near each end of the axle. The lightweight, tubular Panhard rod runs parallel to the axle and attaches at one end to the body and at the other to the axle. 24-mm solid stabilizer bar. SVT tuned rod bushings to handle the extra torque of the GT500 powertrain and firmly control the axle during hard cornering.

• Reverse-L independent MacPherson strut, 34-mm tubular stabilizer bar.

Body, Appearance & Interior Features:

• All 2007 Mustangs have reinforced bodies because of the GT500's extra power and torque.

• Selected panels are now thicker gauge steel, and extra welds have been placed on key seams and joints to improve rigidity.

• Unitized welded steel body; aluminum hood.

• A new front fascia, functional air splitter, larger grilles, hood-mounted air extractors, unique rear fascia and an integrated decklid spoiler are all designs cues that are pure Shelby.

• The interior is completely wrapped in ebony black leather, including the top of the dash, seat borders, door panels and center arm rest. Also wrapped in ebony leather are the shift lever, shift boot and parking-brake handle. Snake logos embroidered into the seat backs finish the package.

• The Shelby GT500 script and Cobra image are repeated on the steering wheel cap. Behind the wheel are titanium-faced gauges swapped in location so that the tachometer is dominant visually for the driver. The chrome accessories inside the cabin have been replaced with a satin aluminum finish, including the aluminum shift lever knob that is nicely positioned for quick, positive shifts of the six-speed transmission.

• Mini-perforated leather seat inserts cover the GT500's extra-supportive bucket seats for a soft, supple hide that breathes, making for a more comfortable ride.

• When the driver takes hold of the steering wheel, he or she will instantly know this is a car made for the serious car enthusiast in part due to the substantial size and feel that enhances driver control.

• The GT500 Premium trim package adds stitched leather covers for the top of the instrument panel, the armrests, and the center console, plus an electrochromatic rearview mirror and aluminum pedal covers.

• SVT-style, titanium-faced instruments and performance shifter keep driver connected. For visual contrast.

They may not have known (suprised?) that the previous models had then arranged like that. Some of the "car guys" that test and write for car magazines I wonder about.

Most of the testers didn't like the 99/01 Cobra because it lacked torque, well if you kept it spun up above 3500 it lacked nothing! Car and Driver did a TV road test between the 99 and the last Firebird made, they loved the Firebird, hated the Cobra. The ride along camera in the Cobra had them luging through 2nd and 3rd instead (drove the Cobra exactly like they did the Firebird) of keeping the revs up.....oh well.....have to drive and make your own conclusions as I of the opinion they are biased and have limited knowledge (for the most part) of the product they are testing.

Archived