TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 shelby GT500 oil leak

mustangman66

Just bought my 2009 GT500 and noticed an oil leak near the back of the engine on the passenger side. Had the car 1 week before taking it in to the dealer for service. They said it was not oil but a coolant leak and proceeded to change 2 heater hoses and sent me on my way. Got home and still leaking oil. Apparently it had a coolant leak too which I was not aware of. Anyway, I returned the car again for the oil leak. That was 11 days ago and they still cannot fix the oil leak. They said they figured out the problem and ordered a replacement part but then called today and said it was still leaking and they would have to do additional troubleshooting. I have been very patient up until this point but I'm about ready to ask for a new car considering it was only a week old and they have had the car in the shop longer than I had it in my garage. Finally got my dream car but this experience has totally ruined it for me. Anybody else had this issue with their GT500?

No oil leaks here.You might need to try and get FORD involved as only certain dealers are really supposed to work on SVT vehicles and none of them are allowed to get into the engine from what I have read.

The engine is large and in a small bay so finding a leak that may be coming from up top could be hard for them to locate.They should be able to use their vast experience and figuring if it is a leak from a pressurized source or something more like a rocker cover.

Call FORD and get them invoved.

Just bought my 2009 GT500 and noticed an oil leak near the back of the engine on the passenger side. Had the car 1 week before taking it in to the dealer for service. They said it was not oil but a coolant leak and proceeded to change 2 heater hoses and sent me on my way. Got home and still leaking oil. Apparently it had a coolant leak too which I was not aware of. Anyway, I returned the car again for the oil leak. That was 11 days ago and they still cannot fix the oil leak. They said they figured out the problem and ordered a replacement part but then called today and said it was still leaking and they would have to do additional troubleshooting. I have been very patient up until this point but I'm about ready to ask for a new car considering it was only a week old and they have had the car in the shop longer than I had it in my garage. Finally got my dream car but this experience has totally ruined it for me. Anybody else had this issue with their GT500?

Sounds like the rear main seal...have them check that. I had an 07 GT500, bought new and sold at 74K miles...no major issues...bought an 08...had nothing but issues..read my 2 posts...if Ford can't fix my car, I am lemoning it too...frustrating huh??

Have they shared where the leak is coming from?

They said they think it is coming from a pipe plug on the head, but they replaced that and it is still leaking. Talked to the service manager this morning he said he thinks they will have to pull the engine to get to the leak. He said the engine comes out from the bottom making it easier to pull. This has me extremely worried having the dealership pull out the motor on a shelby. What do you guys think?

Man that sucks. Is this the only dealer in town? I'd probably want to take it to another dealer at this point.

I've been doing business with this dealership for years and they have always taken care of me in the past so I think I'll stick it out with them to see what happens. I am waiting on a call back from the general manager to discuss the issue with him and see about just getting a new car all together.I have already had a coolant leak, and returned the car twice for the same oil leak all within the first week of owning it. All he can say is no I guess. I think the Lemon Law states that if your vehicle is out of service for 30 days or more within the first year it can be considered a Lemon, or 3 times for the same issue. I'm almost halfway there and they still don't know what the issue is. Man, what a nightmare.

Pulling the engine out of these is much easier than you might think. They drop out the bottom, and lift the car off the engine cradle along with the engine and front suspension etc.

That makes me feel a little better. Even so, it's hard to believe I paid this much for a car that's been in the service department pretty much since I bought it. :cry:

Sounds like the rear main seal...have them check that. I had an 07 GT500, bought new and sold at 74K miles...no major issues...bought an 08...had nothing but issues..read my 2 posts...if Ford can't fix my car, I am lemoning it too...frustrating huh??

Frustrating to say the least. Wow reading your post you have had a lot of problems. I hope it works out for the both of us. Should I be worried about the dealership having to pull the entire engine out of the car. Seems like it takes away something from the car considered these engines are hand built and signed. Plus the dealership keeps saying they really can't work on these cars without a Ford engineer on the phone. Scary stuff. :headscratch:

Good news! Got my car back tonight and no oil leak. They had to replace 3 plugs on the back of the head on the passenger side. Luckily they were able to get to it without pulling the motor as they previously thought. Finally time to enjoy my new car. I really appreciate everyones help! :happy feet:

Great news! :happy feet:

Now go drive! :peelout:

Good news! Got my car back tonight and no oil leak. They had to replace 3 plugs on the back of the head on the passenger side. Luckily they were able to get to it without pulling the motor as they previously thought. Finally time to enjoy my new car. I really appreciate everyones help! :happy feet:

I love happy endings. :happy feet:

I love happy endings. :happy feet:

Sorry I was gone for a few days. If i had seen your post I would have said- '08 same thing. One week new and HS!, whats that on the garage floor. %$#%$!! OIL! Took it to my local dealer-not where I brought it. First guy said-hummm-looks like a rear main seal. Second guy said-head gasket. Real tech said-hold on-lets put some dye in it. Brought it back week later. Blk light showed rear, right, oil plug in block loose. Hand loose! Tech was able to get a wrench on it and torque it up. No mo leak. Apparently, the upper part of the motor is Hand Built-not the basic block and its associated parts.

Yep, I had the same issue on my drivers side head. It was an oil galley plug. A good buddy of mine is a dealer tech. He took one peek and really couldn't see where the leak was. So he immediately added dye and took her for a ride. He put the black light on it a bit later and voila...leak found.

DS

• 11 months later...

Been noticing an oil film on the garage floor on the passenger's side - not a lot of oil. Can't tell whether it's coming from the block. There was some residue at the base of the motor mount, which I cleaned up. I looked at the block, but can't see any sign of an oil leak. I'll just have to keep an eye on it and have it checked out if it continues.

Probably oil galley plugs... I had two loose ones on the drivers side head... They had to drop the exaust to get at mine...

Glad you got the leak fixed, I hated that drip....

Mine had loose oil galley plugs on drivers side head. They dropped trans. to gain access and checked the passenger side to be sure it was good. All good now, no more leaks.

There appears to be a common theme here with the oil galley plugs. I didn't see any oil on the floor today, but I'll keep monitoring.

This is somewhat relieving news for me I guess.

Noticed some drips in my garage about a week ago, had an oil change planned for today so I checked it out. Thought it was the main seal at first , then tracked it to the lower right front of the engine, right by the AC compressor, looked like it might be the front cover. I thought, Great, nearly everything has to come off the front, accessories, crank damp, blah blah. So, roll the dice with the "dealership experience" or tackle it myself? My first plan is to get some dye to verify the location but i will definately be checking the oil galley plugs in the heads a bit closer.

A plug that has loosened makes more sense to just start leaking all of a sudden than the front cover gasket, and a much easier fix. The car has 19k on it now.

Thanks for the info, wish me luck!

Archived