TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How much to repaint the stock hood?

chuckstang

After my hood suffering from many scratches and chips after a hood strut install gone wrong, I am looking into getting it painted.

Does anyone have a real good idea on how much to have the entire hood painted just like factory? Im not sure if this is a given but I would want the entire hood removed from the car, along with the vents and hood blanket and have the entire hood sanded clean and prepped, painted, cleared and so on.

I would prefer done by Ford so the paint matches perfectly and would probably hit up Tasca since they do so many SS conversions, athough Im not sure if they do the body work but maybe someone one here knows.

Right now, I just am curious what I would be lookig at for a price roughly to see if its something I could even consider because currently I just used some touch up paint and as you can imagine it looks like shit on an otherwise mint car.

Im assuming labor in prepping and so on would not be much since its the factory hood and has no real damage other than scratches and chips

Thank you!

After my hood suffering from many scratches and chips after a hood strut install gone wrong, I am looking into getting it painted.

Does anyone have a real good idea on how much to have the entire hood painted just like factory? Im not sure if this is a given but I would want the entire hood removed from the car, along with the vents and hood blanket and have the entire hood sanded clean and prepped, painted, cleared and so on.

I would prefer done by Ford so the paint matches perfectly and would probably hit up Tasca since they do so many SS conversions, athough Im not sure if they do the body work but maybe someone one here knows.

Right now, I just am curious what I would be lookig at for a price roughly to see if its something I could even consider because currently I just used some touch up paint and as you can imagine it looks like shit on an otherwise mint car.

Im assuming labor in prepping and so on would not be much since its the factory hood and has no real damage other than scratches and chips

Thank you!

I would guess to say that it would be $500.00 or more.

Chuck for what its worth it cost me $550 to have the dent repaired on my roof ( from dropping my dogs crate on it ) and having a small scratch repaired on my passangers door, they had to repaint the whole rear quarter and door along with replace the striping on the doors. Imperial did the work.

Man, the top of my trunk and the set of stripes was 500 or so by the time they got done. You're looking at a far amount more due to the more expensive hood stripes. I also heard that the vent inserts were one use only. Please just take it to a good body shop and see what they say to do. Some of these guys are pretty good about fixing small issues, and it sure doesn't hurt to check it out.

Chuck for what its worth it cost me $550 to have the dent repaired on my roof ( from dropping my dogs crate on it ) and having a small scratch repaired on my passangers door, they had to repaint the whole rear quarter and door along with replace the striping on the doors. Imperial did the work.

How does it look? Can you tell work was done?

I did not see a body shop at Imperial, did they outsource the work?

To the others that commented, I don't have any stripes so that is good but someone with some more knowledge please explain to me how they can paint just a part of the hood without it being noticable?

Were not talking a scratch, this ripped all the way through to the metal. I covered it with touch up paint tonight, I think Id rather have just seen the 2 in gouge instead, but I was worried about rust

ahhhh, god, I hate touch up paint

Im really against taking it to any body shop because they have never matched my stangs in the past and they over charge, Ford is usually pretty fair and at least always matches dead on

Oh and did they just repaint your rear quarter to help blend the paint or did the scratch continue on to your quarter?

Are you satisfied with the work?

good to know thanks

I wonder if it could just have that one spot painted and still look factory?

Im not really privy to the new technology and what a body shop can and cant do.

I have had all bad experiences in the past but the touch up paint I added just aint gona cut it, especailly on a new car, it looks like ass.

Some guy at a gas station was taking pix of my car the other day and I was literally standing in the way of that part of the car just in case hhaaha

haha

I just meant paint the entire hood

I have never seen the SS hood without stripes, that would look interesting.

Jason told me they have a guy that does touch up work but doesnt use a brush but sprays on and then clears over it

Im just weary about overspray or cause more of a mess to the rest of the car. You know one of those things where you cause more harm than good, sort of what got me here in the first place.

I heard yours went to an actual body shop, why did your scratch necisitate the use of a body shop, where jason just recommends touch up for mine? How bad was your scratch? Hell, mine is not a scratch, it is a chunk missing about 2" long, runs along the crease of the hood towards the back

I got a quote for my hood and it was 2700. With a new hood. I got a hole in mine at about 175mph. A rock went right through the front of my hood. They told me they had to paint everything from the hood to the fenders and even blend the doors. The hood is around 800 and the sticker kit was around 450. Then prep and paint was the rest. i am now turning it into my insurance and getting the super snake hood.

Archived