TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Restoration decision

PonyPWR

Restoration of '70 Mach 1  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you restore back to original or restore the custom job?

• original
    • custom

I got this car last summer. The clutch and pressure plate went out so now it is time to get to work on restoring it, but I have one problem. It was customized and I like the flared out wheel wells. I can't decide on whether or not to restore the custom job that was done, minus the picture on the trunk, or restore to original. I would really like to get some feed back to help make my decision. It has a 351 Cleveland with 4v heads and is a 4 speed with R code rear end. Thank you.

PonyPWR

70_Mach_1___GT500_003.jpg

70_Mach_1___GT500_011.jpg

70_Mach_1___GT500_010.jpg

70_Mach_1___GT500_003.jpg

70_Mach_1___GT500_011.jpg

70_Mach_1___GT500_010.jpg

That is a good looking car but it is totally a "70's" look. Get rid of the flares, paint, wheels, etc,. and put it back to original if you have or can get the parts. Or if you are going to drive it much do a resto mod. But in my opinion whatever you do get rid of the flares. Unless of course you plan on making a mud bogger out of it. :hysterical::hysterical:

First a couple of caveats.

I think you need to decide if you are going to show the car and not drive it, or if you are going to drive it.

My preference has always been a driver.

IF you're going to drive it, do what you want with it. There is a lot of technology today that makes the car perform better and makes the car safer. To hell with the original brakes and engine. If you like the flares, leave them on, opinions of me or anybody else don't matter - it's your car. Put good tires on it. Get a good stereo. Soundproof the car.

That, btw, is a really good engine. I'd just make the car the way I want it and drive it around.

One the other had, if you mainly want to show the car, you can go either custom or original. Obviously, going original is going to subject you to a lot of anal retentive scrutiny as people poke and prod your car. I swear, a factory new Mustang with 5 miles on the odo that was transported to one of todays shows could not possibly win. The factory was never as picky about building them "correct" as somebody restoring a car today. I think if you go the "original" route, driving the car at all is out of the question.

If you go custom, you get a little more leeway, but then the judging is subjective, and personal taste comes into play. I know I'd have more fun with that.

Thanks for the opinions. I am so torn on this decision. My wife has given the all clear to get my GT500 Super Snaked and for the restore to begin on the Mach 1. I am just waiting for the call to take the GT500 to Texas. I like the looks of the Mach 1 now but I am really can't make up my mind on this one. So more feed back would be appreciated. Thanks.

PonyPWR

I got this car last summer. The clutch and pressure plate went out so now it is time to get to work on restoring it, but I have one problem. It was customized and I like the flared out wheel wells. I can't decide on whether or not to restore the custom job that was done, minus the picture on the trunk, or restore to original. I would really like to get some feed back to help make my decision. It has a 351 Cleveland with 4v heads and is a 4 speed with R code rear end. Thank you.

PonyPWR

Keep your Money!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Thanks for the opinions. I have decided that I am going to keep the custom look of the car.

Why not customize to your liking? If you're going to spend the time/money restoring a custom car, why not resto-mod the thing how you would have it?

If this is exactly how you would have done the custom work to an all original Mustang, then you're a lucky guy to have found this thing! Good luck

Ken

Archived