TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch Chatter

magrag

Picked up my GT500 June 5 and now has 1900 miles on it. It has always had some chatter, but some times nothing and sometime bad. Trans shifts fine.

Now the questions: 1)Will TSB 08-16 04 fix this?

2)Do I let my dealer drive the car to decide if it needs the fix?

3)How do I approch my dealer with this problem?

Thanks for your help!

Picked up my GT500 June 5 and now has 1900 miles on it. It has always had some chatter, but some times nothing and sometime bad. Trans shifts fine.

Thanks for your help!

Simple answers.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Honesty

Just tell the service desk you have symptoms of the clutch problem and need the TSB work performed. If they have issues with that, have them pull up the TSB and point out all the symptoms you have. If they still have a problem ask to speak with the service manager and he should clarify things for them. Make sure that all available parts for the TSB are ordered. Your warranty entitles you to this fix within 12,000 miles or 1 year.

I just picked mine up last Friday, drives like a dream. Clutch is much smoother, shifts are crisp. Worth it.

Your warranty entitles you to this fix within 12,000 miles or 1 year.

I understand that the causual part being the flywheel, the TSB is covered by your 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty and when that expires, it's covered by your 5 yr/60,000 mile warranty.

Thanks for your help!

Ford is not replacing flywheels and clutches if your only symptom is clutch chatter.

Ford will eventually have to admitt they have a serious design issue with their thin flywheels warping and address the issue. If your driving your Shelby and not letting it sit in a plastic bag stored in a garage somewhere eventually it will need to be repaired.

Does anyone know if Ford has to eat the cost of repairs once the 36 month 36,000 miles is up and your on an extended coverage plan?

What you talkin bout? :hysterical:

He's making fun of my winter storage method. :doh:

Trannyoriginal096.jpg

However, my winter storage method did not prevent me from getting a new brand new tranny, flywheel and clutch. :happy feet:

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts018.jpg

Flywheelinstallation008.jpg

Flywheelinstallation017.jpg

Thanks for your help!

magrag, i have the exact same symptoms. some chatter and 1st to 2nd gear is a little "notchy". other than that, i have 15,200 miles on my car and still going strong on the original clutch/tranny. i did take the honesty approach with my dealer and they have recorded my concern in the record. i believe i wont have any issue getting the tsb done if i push it with them.

at this point, i am playing the waiting game but i am leaning toward pushing for the tsb for peace of mind.

'07's have a 3/36k warranty, '08's and newer have a 5/60k warranty on the power train.

My clutch will chatter if I don't shift correctly, usually from not enough rpm and too slow on the release. The car is geared lower in 1st than a typical 5-speed, and needs a little more rpm. The dual-ceramic clutch is not made to slip and slide, so you need to get off the pedal quickly.

As a rule, I need to hear the engine to shift in this car, which is not the case in my other two manual trannys.

I am going to disagree with some people here. If another driver can get in your car and shift normally with no chatter, and there are no symptoms other than it chatters for you, the fix is the driver, not replacing the clutch. Otherwise, it's going to chatter with a new clutch, too.

I'd definitely say to get somebody else to drive the car and see if it happens to them as well. This clutch is not the same as other cars.

I have 21,000 miles on my '08, and have used it to road race, drag race, and drive around town, and the clutch is still strong, which is more than I can say for the tires. In fact, I let Carroll Shelby's jet pilot drive the car at Terlingua, and he absolutely loved the clutch, and commented on it a couple of times. From day one, my philosophy has been to get my foot off the clutch pedal early and often.

I'm not saying there's not a problem, and maybe my clutch will crap out soon. I just would not be ready to start calling for major overhauls on occasional clutch chatter.

Well, I don't have an '07, but I remember the 3/36k warranty because I was looking at buying one. I got an '08 and was pleasantly surprised.

Looking at my '08 warrany, it says "bumper to bumper" is 3 years, 36,000 miles. "Power Train" is 5 years, 60,000 miles. I also purchased a separate Ford ESP to extend the "Bumper to Bumper" service to 5/60k.

The clutch exclusion in the warranty is the "friction surface". Obviously, the TSB extends far beyond a friction surface, and should be covered.

Is this 100% correct??

No.

The 3 year 36K warranty handbook was a printing error and all 2007 owners got a suppliment mailing sent to there home amending the warranty to be the same as what the 2008's have.

'07's have a 3/36k warranty, '08's and newer have a 5/60k warranty on the power train.

My clutch will chatter if I don't shift correctly, usually from not enough rpm and too slow on the release. The car is geared lower in 1st than a typical 5-speed, and needs a little more rpm. The dual-ceramic clutch is not made to slip and slide, so you need to get off the pedal quickly.

As a rule, I need to hear the engine to shift in this car, which is not the case in my other two manual trannys.

I am going to disagree with some people here. If another driver can get in your car and shift normally with no chatter, and there are no symptoms other than it chatters for you, the fix is the driver, not replacing the clutch. Otherwise, it's going to chatter with a new clutch, too.

I'd definitely say to get somebody else to drive the car and see if it happens to them as well. This clutch is not the same as other cars.

I have 21,000 miles on my '08, and have used it to road race, drag race, and drive around town, and the clutch is still strong, which is more than I can say for the tires. In fact, I let Carroll Shelby's jet pilot drive the car at Terlingua, and he absolutely loved the clutch, and commented on it a couple of times. From day one, my philosophy has been to get my foot off the clutch pedal early and often.

I'm not saying there's not a problem, and maybe my clutch will crap out soon. I just would not be ready to start calling for major overhauls on occasional clutch chatter.

mciarochi,

i totally agree with you on this.

i do believe that when i do experience chatter it is because of my foot not getting off of it soon enough. i too like to get my foot off the clutch pedal early and often. clutch still feels strong and i will most likely not do the tsb unless i feel some major problem. i just want to be reassured that if i do have an issue, ford will cover me. it is too major of an expense to have to bear the burden.

If your dealer is willing to do it and it's easy for you do let them, why not.

It makes a definite difference in the feel of the clutch.

Much better than the original ever was.

:ninja:

But I want mine to be completely stock original?

I'm not even changing the oil.

:hysterical:

mciarochi,

i totally agree with you on this.

i do believe that when i do experience chatter it is because of my foot not getting off of it soon enough. i too like to get my foot off the clutch pedal early and often. clutch still feels strong and i will most likely not do the tsb unless i feel some major problem. i just want to be reassured that if i do have an issue, ford will cover me. it is too major of an expense to have to bear the burden.

Then why not do it now? My car didn't have any shifting problems in my opinion it performed great,but it did have some chatter when starting out in first gear and it also had the hissing problem too.So when my dealership agreed to do the TSB I let them. No more chatter or hissing!! So the statement that the chatter and hissing is normal isn't true your car is defective! and it should be fixed.

He's making fun of my winter storage method. :doh:

I wouldn't make fun of your winter bubble Grab, that's an awsome set-up you have. I have made fun of your light bulbs once or twice, but never your winter bubble. :hysterical:

The point I was trying to make is there are many who have theirs in a garage and have little to no desire to drive it. They're saving it for a future investment. Stopping short of that at some point and time all the cars will need to have a new flywheel with the improved clutch put on.

My question is does Ford have to eat the repairs once it converts to an extended warranty? That might be why they don't want to make it a total call back. I know those that didn't purchase an extended protection plan will be up the creek without a paddle.

I just read TSB 08-16-4 for the fist time.

I do not see clutch chatter listed, although it has always been my experence ( 40 years of working on cars) that clutch chatter is caused by a warped flywheel or pressure plate.

Some of you say the TSB will cover and correct my chatter and others say they don't think theTSB will cover chatter.

One other question??? Will they take the transmission apart and replace input shaft and all sychronizers as part of TSB 08-16-4??? ( This make me a little nervous)

I have found that my trans only has a slight resistance (grind) when shifting to 2ond when cold. I usually shift from 1st to 3rd when I first start out from my garage. My next stop is about 2 miles down the road and then it shifts fine as it seems the lube has thinned out a little.

Advise is appreciated!!

Thanks Magrag

Then why not do it now? My car didn't have any shifting problems in my opinion it performed great,but it did have some chatter when starting out in first gear and it also had the hissing problem too.So when my dealership agreed to do the TSB I let them. No more chatter or hissing!! So the statement that the chatter and hissing is normal isn't true your car is defective! and it should be fixed.

I thought the hiss was a good thing as long as it occurs when you are letting the clutch out? Are you saying that after the TSB, you are not ever hearing the hiss?

I just read TSB 08-16-4 for the fist time.

I do not see clutch chatter listed, although it has always been my experence ( 40 years of working on cars) that clutch chatter is caused by a warped flywheel or pressure plate.

Some of you say the TSB will cover and correct my chatter and others say they don't think theTSB will cover chatter.

One other question??? Will they take the transmission apart and replace input shaft and all sychronizers as part of TSB 08-16-4??? ( This make me a little nervous)

I have found that my trans only has a slight resistance (grind) when shifting to 2ond when cold. I usually shift from 1st to 3rd when I first start out from my garage. My next stop is about 2 miles down the road and then it shifts fine as it seems the lube has thinned out a little.

Advise is appreciated!!

Thanks Magrag

I have the extact problem going from first to second in colder weather. Even when it is warm. it does not slip inot second in the nice way it goes into the other gears. My though is that if it was working right, all the gears would have almost the same feel as you shift into each gear?

Archived