TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tires

GenoTex

Summer Performance tires... on the GT500....

good to '45 degrees'

anyone run them at colder temps for very long?

I know last night on the way home it was down in the 30s...didnt notice any difference.

Any input on this subject as to "WHY" it's not good to run them in cold weather?

Rubber properties/handling/whatever? Thanks.

They don't stick as well, feel greasy under ya. No other issues. Run mine year round, just learn to modulate the throttle and you'll be ok.

In our winter conditions snow and ice turns the F1 tires to rocks. There is not enough traction to leave a stop sign.

Be Careful.

the main issue is that you get accustomed to a certain level of grip in the car, then the temp drops on night on your way home, you punch it in third and the car steps out at about 80, pants are wet and you buy tires that are rated for the temp online the next day.

Not that this happend to me or anything....

Its just dangerous, most people do not realize that almost all performance cars come with this type of tire rating, as they are used by the mfg to obtain peak numbers to brag on the cars performance, but they are completely unsafe when the temp drops. My last new car was a Volvo (yes Volvo) and it came with simialr tires, first snow and my AWD Volvo could not stop at all due to the hipo Pirelli tires, please heed the temp warning, you dont want to learn the hard way.

Cheers,

Phil

If I had to guess, they aren't sticky and will break loose. I have run them in winter conditions (ice and snow), and found no particular problem with them. They aren't studded snow tires, that's for sure.

I find this hard to believe. I was on the lightest of snow, on the slightest of inclines, and could go nowhere except sideways. I put significant weight in the trunk, same problem. I had to call a tow truck.

In dry conditions, I've driven when it's cold, but very aware of the tire ratings. No hard accelerations, and constant throttle on turns...

^^ what Phil said.

Had my car go out from under me on a straight in 3rd gear.

+1 On a 40 degree day, had mine go sideways almost 90 degrees instantly when I quick shifted to 2nd and nailed it. Went across 2 lanes and into the 3rd before I corrected it. Luckily no one was around me. :fan: almost!

Okay --- let's come at this from another angle..............

TIRE folks............ ??????????

Can we use 2554518 all the way around (the tires that are on the front)? Will they fit okay on the rear?

Cannot find tires 2854018 that are 'cold weather' that are 'reasonable'... thanks...

2554518 on rear rims fit or is that a different width rim that will not accomodate ?

Can we use 2554518 all the way around (the tires that are on the front)? Will they fit okay on the rear?

Cannot find tires 2854018 that are 'cold weather' that are 'reasonable'... thanks...

2554518 on rear rims fit or is that a different width rim that will not accomodate ?

Yes, rims are the same size all around. 255/45/18 will fit fine on the rears. Get temp rated ones for all 4 corners and have at it.

good to '45 degrees'

I know last night on the way home it was down in the 30s...didnt notice any difference.

Any input on this subject as to "WHY" it's not good to run them in cold weather?

Does anyone make a tire that will fit the stock rims, which is usable below 40 degrees?

I tried Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S (all season) and they sucked big chunks. They wriggled like a snake. It would scare the crap out of me in a turn.

I took them back and swapped 'em for a set of BFG KDWs. Still a very high performance tire and far superior to the stock F1s, yet they're also better in cold weather (although they'll also tell you they shouldn't be used below 40f. ALL mfgrs will tell you the same thing.)

Either garage it for the winter....buy a good set of replacement summer tires and drive very carefully ....or buy something like the Pirelli's and just live with the compromises.

bj

good to '45 degrees'

I picked up my GT500 on Nov 30/07 and it was -2 deg F with some snow on the ground here in Calgary. It was a bit crazy getting it home. Kinda got sideways a couple time! yikes! The tires got as hard as rocks and I had no traction! Needless to say we garage the cars up here. I am holding out for a couple more weeks and them off to storage for the winter, waiting for spring or until I get called for my SS conversion!

Cheers

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

Cooper Tires makes a tire called a Zeon Sport A/S which is a premium W-speed rated, ultra high performance all-season tire in the 255/45ZR18. Part number is 25523.

By the way, they are now the origional equipment tire for all Roush mustangs and the Roush F150.

That tire is bad ass. Too bad it does not come in our size yet. It is called a Zeon RS3.

Archived