TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Knight Rider Hood Light's

I was just wondering about the SS hood and how close it is to the KR's hood. I e-mailed the people that designed and built the lights in KITT's hood (they only made a few sets of lights for the Knight Rider KR's). They said they are working on a consumer model that will be sold as a 17" unit or a complete unit 32" long, but with some changes that we have to make it may not be ready until late Oct. The cost will be about $500. for the first run and about $300 for the next. The more we make the cheaper they will be. We currently have the hood available $850>

We will be selling one of the originals, if you have an interest, let us know... The price will be $5,200... it's the same exact one used in the film.

I was just thinking it would look nice.

I was just wondering about the SS hood and how close it is to the KR's hood. I e-mailed the people that designed and built the lights in KITT's hood (they only made a few sets of lights for the Knight Rider KR's). They said they are working on a consumer model that will be sold as a 17" unit or a complete unit 32" long, but with some changes that we have to make it may not be ready until late Oct. The cost will be about $500. for the first run and about $300 for the next. The more we make the cheaper they will be. We currently have the hood available $850>

We will be selling one of the originals, if you have an interest, let us know... The price will be $5,200... it's the same exact one used in the film.

I was just thinking it would look nice.

Hey Sam,

To answer your question about whether or not the SS hood design is close to the KR's hood, while they are similar in appearance and design, there are fundamental differences between them. One example of that is that the intake ducts are a little longer on the KR than the SS hood's ducts are.

I suspect that you are asking that question to see if your current light will fit the SS hoods; and if that's so, then I do not believe it will.

The other problem that you will have to overcome is that KR or SS owners are unlikely to install your light on their cars because they will not want to sacrifice the cold air going to the air cleaner by blocking the ducts off. They are both functional hoods that contribute to the performance of the engine/car.

Although it might be novel to have one of your lights as an alarm beacon when the car is parked, I personaly would not want the added and underdesirable attention it would attract to the car. I'm sure that you already know that there are some people who have a hard time seperating TV and Movie fantesy with real life.

That's just my personal opinion and I'm certainly not claiming that I am speaking for everyone.

Hey Sam,

To answer your question about whether or not the SS hood design is close to the KR's hood, while they are similar in appearance and design, there are fundamental differences between them. One example of that is that the intake ducts are a little longer on the KR than the SS hood's ducts are.

I suspect that you are asking that question to see if your current light will fit the SS hoods; and if that's so, then I do not believe it will.

The other problem that you will have to overcome is that KR or SS owners are unlikely to install your light on their cars because they will not want to sacrifice the cold air going to the air cleaner by blocking the ducts off. They are both functional hoods that contribute to the performance of the engine/car.

Although it might be novel to have one of your lights as an alarm beacon when the car is parked, I personaly would not want the added and underdesirable attention it would attract to the car. I'm sure that you already know that there are some people who have a hard time seperating TV and Movie fantesy with real life.

That's just my personal opinion and I'm certainly not claiming that I am speaking for everyone.

Son of GT, I think you read me wrong, I don't have a light but I have a 07 SS and a 68 KR both convertables and I was just thinking about the lights for them. I'm not a stupid kid like I used to be anymore, so I'm not trying to race everthing on the road so some HP loss would be negligible and I posted this to possibly find the pro's & con's of the light. The air through the ducts would have to be a consideration as would state laws but I don't think heat would be a problem and it would be nice to have a red heart beat in my red SS070130 or my white 68 KR. It would be great to have a kit that could be installed or removed in a few minutes.

Son of GT, I think you read me wrong, I don't have a light but I have a 07 SS and a 68 KR both convertables and I was just thinking about the lights for them. I'm not a stupid kid like I used to be anymore, so I'm not trying to race everthing on the road so some HP loss would be negligible and I posted this to possibly find the pro's & con's of the light. The air through the ducts would have to be a consideration as would state laws but I don't think heat would be a problem and it would be nice to have a red heart beat in my red SS070130 or my white 68 KR. It would be great to have a kit that could be installed or removed in a few minutes.

Your're right Sam, I did get the wrong impression that you were selling or brokering the sale of the lights; my apologizes to you for that. But regardless of my misunderstanding, I still personally would not want to install one of those heartbeat lights in my SS for the same reasons that I stated in my earler post.

You could probably/maybe "fudge" on the legal issue if you only used the light as an alarm beacon while the car is parked, but then you would have to deal with the other issue of people screwing with the car because of the flashing light and it's affiliation with the TV show.

And at a cost of $5,200.00, $500.00, or even at $300.00 apiece, I could easely find a great many other items to buy to put on my SS rather than a flashing light.

But like I said before, that's just my opinion.

it is illegal to run any red or blue lights on a privately owned vehicle in every state. Unless you are LEO or FD. You could legally use amber.

I think those laws are based on state & local laws. In Michigan we are allowed to use red, white or amber lights on wreckers, but not blue lights. Also Volunteer fire fighters use red lights on top of their roof so unles your putting lights on top of your roof I think this is allowed, but again I say Each person needs to check with local & state law enforcement to see what is allowed in their state. IMO if it was illegal then how can so many cars & motorcycles drive down the road with them on under their vehicles or glowing on their motors in different colors? Since these are LED lights & their are so small & in the hood vents i don't think they could be confused with emergency lights, so once again I say check with your local & state law enforcement where you live.

Back in High School there were plenty of guys who ran KITT lights on their cars; funnily enough one was a Mark 3 black Mustang, long before the days of the Knight Rider remake. All of them had switches to turn the light off and on and none of them left them on when parked, unless they were with the car.

If you like the look, do it. While not my taste, each to their own and unless you drive around with the light switched on, or leave it on while the car is parked and unattended, I don't see there being a massive issue.

Archived