TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripes problem at dealership

my car has been at the dealership for over 2 weeks now. The body shop that ford sent my car to was having problems taking off the stripes now they cant even put them back on. They said they even had to take the glass off? because apparently Shelby put the stripes before they put the glass on the car... WTF?? Im really pissed off...Is it really this hard to put on the stripes for the car??? :banghead::banghead:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my car has been at the dealership for over 2 weeks now. The body shop that ford sent my car to was having problems taking off the stripes now they cant even put them back on. They said they even had to take the glass off? because apparently Shelby put the stripes before they put the glass on the car... WTF?? Im really pissed off...Is it really this hard to put on the stripes for the car??? :banghead::banghead:

What the car was completely built before any stripes were put on . What this about removing a the glass ??????????????????????????????????????

Find another dealership.

Steve

I'm going through the process now. As of right now, it sucks. I've been to two different dealers. One dealer told me that they don't have time to look at it and to make an appointment. They also informed me that they need the car for the entire day, just to look at it and write up a warranty claim. Then I went to another dealer. I tried to be helpful by telling the service manager the procedure... since i've read some responses in the forum and talked to shelby yesterday. However, he basically told me that if he needs to take pictures and send them to Shelby, he'll give me a call back. But after hearing about this... I don't know if I want mine replaced. I think I may just rub some WD-40 on them and call it a day. Good luck...

After this whole ordeal I'm going to find another dealership...but now I have to wait for them to finish. This is insane..i explained to them that there was no need to remove the glass, they are just ignorant. They cant follow simple instructions...

No you do not have to wait for them to finish. It's your car and you have every right to remove it from their service department.

Shelby Autos is not going to pay for removing the glass because its not needed. I strongly urge you to remove your car from them and work with the factory zone rep on having another dealership finish the warranty repair.

Good Luck.

Steve

How do I get a hold of the factory zone rep? There is another dealership here in san francisco that might be able to help.

Look in your owneres manual. There should be a list of the various zone rep offices.

Or take your car to another dealership and ask the service person to call the local zone rep out to their dealer for you.

When working with the zone rep be as pleasant as you can be. You want his/her assistance.

Steve

This is crap in reference to the stripe and scoop business ! I went to my dealership and they really do not want to do it said do not want to be responsible for problems. I have never ssen service like this , I called Ford and wanted parts likeI did with my first scoop and would pay ffor work tp be done said no they would not take responsibilly for repairs after reading everything on this forumit seems Ford Shelby and the dealers cannot get it right. FORD this is not how you make repeat sales looked at Ford Escape for wife for winter, will order BMW X3 20 years with dealer and product and no problems

This is crap in reference to the stripe and scoop business ! I went to my dealership and they really do not want to do it said do not want to be responsible for problems. I have never ssen service like this , I called Ford and wanted parts likeI did with my first scoop and would pay ffor work tp be done said no they would not take responsibilly for repairs after reading everything on this forumit seems Ford Shelby and the dealers cannot get it right. FORD this is not how you make repeat sales looked at Ford Escape for wife for winter, will order BMW X3 20 years with dealer and product and no problems

My stripes need replacing too, and this is exactly the hassle I'm expecting. Groan.

Jer

This guy works for many dealers in Monterey County CA and does this on the side. He did some stripes (lower rocker) for me and said he can do the Shelby stripes.

He does great work and came to my house. So CA guys you may want to call John.

John Clements (831) 595-3760

This guy works for many dealers in Monterey County CA and does this on the side. He did some stripes (lower rocker) for me and said he can do the Shelby stripes.

He does great work and came to my house. So CA guys you may want to call John.

John Clements (831) 595-3760

Can anyone recommend a Long Island shop?

Jer

Don't know if this will help others, but here is what I did, and so far it is hassle free...

I took my own photos, and sent them, the Ford/Shelby claim form, and an explanation to my salesman; I incluced the name of the body shop that I want the work done at (don't let Ford Service do the repairs!). Next day I met him and he took me to the service department. He took a quick look and took my stuff and sent it to Ford. 3 days later it was all approved. New hood pins, stripes and scoop are on their way.

I'll let you know how the actual repair goes; but I picked a shop that has done work on my wife's old Lexus and it turned out great!

Good luck!

shelbygt,

I stood in the workshop at Shelby Automobiles and watched them put stripes on a couple Shelby GTs. All of the cars arrived at Shelby Automobiles with all windows in place and the stripes were put on with that glass in place. Yes it is hard to take the old stripes off and even harder to put the new stripes on and have them perfectly aligned and spaced. There aren't many people qualified to do it but they are out there. Almost without exception, striping is what they do exclusively for a living. The chance of any technician accomplishing this successfully on their first attempt is zero. As the stripe kit costs well over $1000.00, you must have your dealership seek out the best professional in your area. If your dealership can't find him, then you must find him. Then you need to hope everything doesn't go south when they get out that rivet gun to put on the hood scoop.

As I read this endless series of disasters regarding members warrantee repairs on stripes and hood scoops, I'm starting to think that the money I spent painting the stripes on my hood and replacing my own hood scoop would have been a bargain at twice the price.

Chip

:headscratch: I got a few I recommend you NOT go to. :nonono:

Hit me!

Or PM me if you would rather not rant in public. ;)

Jer

shelbygt,

I stood in the workshop at Shelby Automobiles and watched them put stripes on a couple Shelby GTs. All of the cars arrived at Shelby Automobiles with all windows in place and the stripes were put on with that glass in place. Yes it is hard to take the old stripes off and even harder to put the new stripes on and have them perfectly aligned and spaced. There aren't many people qualified to do it but they are out there. Almost without exception, striping is what they do it exclusively for a living. The chance of any technician accomplishing this successfully on their first attempt is zero. As the stripe kit costs well over $1000.00, you must have your dealership seek out the best professional in your area. If your dealership can't find him, then you must find him. Then you need to hope everything doesn't go south when they get out that rivet gun to put on the hood scoop.

As I read this endless series of disasters regarding members warrantee repairs on stripes and hood scoops, I'm starting to think that the money I spent painting the stripes on my hood and replacing my own hood scoop would have been a bargain at twice the price.

Chip

I agree with your cost assessment 100%.

Swede

PS: Thanks again-

shelbygt,

There aren't many people qualified to do it but they are out there. Almost without exception, striping is what they do exclusively for a living. The chance of any technician accomplishing this successfully on their first attempt is zero. As the stripe kit costs well over $1000.00, you must have your dealership seek out the best professional in your area. If your dealership can't find him, then you must find him. Then you need to hope everything doesn't go south when they get out that rivet gun to put on the hood scoop.

That's what I am doing. I just picked up my new stripes and scoop. The stripes are being done at StickerDude not to far from me a full-time auto graphics house and the scoop installed at Rainbow Autobody the autobody shop of the Volo Car Museum. I'm not leaving anything to chance.

This is one thread I did not want to read:(..My stripes are now starting to peel and buckle on my hood and rear facia...my car is 9 months old with less then 4k miles and is garage kept....I'm going to get the same treatment from my local dealership..I guess my question is what is the silver stripe color or the info, so I can have mine painted...thanks

+1000 on the painted stripes. Put an a very nice end to my headaches with the stripe issues.....

I really want to paint mine on too.

Can anyone offer any insight as to cost, and whether or not Shelby supports it (morally and/or financially)???

Thanks,

Jer

That's what I am doing. I just picked up my new stripes and scoop. The stripes are being done at StickerDude not to far from me a full-time auto graphics house and the scoop installed at Rainbow Autobody the autobody shop of the Volo Car Museum. I'm not leaving anything to chance.

Are you paying for the install out of your pocket or is the Ford dealership paying your installers ?

These stripes seem to be made of soft cheap material, do not remenber problems with other cars stripes that I have owned. I keep them waxed never drive in rain and now are starting to look like crap 2 year old car with only 800 miles. Not sure what I will do in ref to dealer and install problems if I keep car maybe paint them on

These stripes seem to be made of soft cheap material, do not remenber problems with other cars stripes that I have owned. I keep them waxed never drive in rain and now are starting to look like crap 2 year old car with only 800 miles. Not sure what I will do in ref to dealer and install problems if I keep car maybe paint them on

We purchased a new 1977 Cobra II, white with blue stripes. The stripes were 3M material. They survived about ten years of daily driving, while enduring harsh Montana winters. In fact, they eventually had to be replaced due to the edges lifting...but their appearance was still fine.

Funny thing, it was also back to the dealer a few times for hood scoop issues. Although unrelated, its just ironic. It was made from fiberglass and painted blue/white.

Wish I still had it...turns out they only made seven like it. :doh:

How do I get a hold of the factory zone rep? There is another dealership here in san francisco that might be able to help.

I had my stripes replaced at Fremont Ford. They had the car over the weekend. They did a decent job. I wouldn't say that it was perfect though. They had trouble removing the stripes, but they didn't have to remove any of the windows.

I had my stripes replaced at Fremont Ford. They had the car over the weekend. They did a decent job. I wouldn't say that it was perfect though. They had trouble removing the stripes, but they didn't have to remove any of the windows.

we'll i got by car back after 46 days at the dealer for my 4th or 5th scoop and same qty of replacement stripes, new scoop looks good no issues yet after 10 days, worried that the stripe issue will return as previous ones all stained within few months. their rental bill for my POS rental car for 46 days was $1,100

Your situation must have been a pain, this is why SAI should be held responsible they installed cheap stripes ans scoops. I looked at KR seems Shelby could get it right is you are paying BIG bucks. I feel we all got caught is in Shelby fever,my Shelbys from 60s are full of poor quality that was the 60s this is a new cwntury. Just a side note my Shelby Dodge GLHS whcih cost me 12,000.00 and has 12,400 miles on it has NO quality problems, did SAI rush car to market to make money I think so.

Archived