TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shocking, unbelieveable occurence at Terlingua

MMcGuirk

We were packing up the car for the trip back to California, when we discovered this malicious vandalism.

Does anyone else have damage? You may want to go over your cars. Please post if you find anything.

The two cars were not parked next to each other.

I have a three inch, through to the metal gash on my right front fender. The other car was damaged on the hood in the exact same pattern.

A sickening end to an otherwise epic event.

Michael

Could you post some photos? Did you see Amys car after the accident because of the flying rocks? The whole fender, windshield and hood were covered with stone damage.

Please do post the fund info. My wife, Caprice spent a few hours with Courtney riding horses and said she was a sweet girl. They spent quite a bit of time chatting and she was pretty upset when we found out about the accident.

I started a new thread with the info for making a memorial donation in Courtney's name.

Steve

LINK

We were packing up the car for the trip back to California, when we discovered this malicious vandalism.

Does anyone else have damage? You may want to go over your cars. Please post if you find anything.

The two cars were not parked next to each other.

I have a three inch, through to the metal gash on my right front fender. The other car was damaged on the hood in the exact same pattern.

A sickening end to an otherwise epic event.

Michael

Michael

what a deal :censored: i thought you car looked awsome with the new stripes

i hope you can make it tough on them :happy feet:

Could you post some photos? Did you see Amys car after the accident because of the flying rocks? The whole fender, windshield and hood were covered with stone damage.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I am positive this happened in Terlingua between Saturday morning and Sunday morning. I had a Colgan bra on my car between Ca and Tx. When we arrived I removed it to clean the car and did not re-install. After the trip to Alpine Friday afternoon, my car got covered with bugs and I cleaned it again. I put the bra back on for the Bull Run. I would have seen the damage if it had happened in Alpine.

We started the Bull Run, but due to fact that the runway drag strip undulations caused my Spydershaft to hit the top of the tunnel and rip the weight off, I had to retire early. The harmonic vibrations cause by an out of balance drive shaft made my car undriveable at the 100+ MPH pace. I never went any further than Alpine. We returned to Lajitas, met up with Andy and Dave from Bull Run at lunch and they gave us their flat black Mustang to meet everyone at the last check point at the lodge in Big Bend national park. (very cool gesture by two really nice guys)

I have posted pictures of my car. We have pictures of the other car and I will leave the posting of those pictures to that cars owner.

As you can see, no rock did this. Please take my word, the other cars divot is identical in depth and shape.

Those of you who know me, or met me in Texas, would know I would never make any accusation that a fellow TS member did this. I also hope no one else has to suffer the sickening feeling of disbelief that I did when I found this vandalism.

Michael

IMG_0980.jpg

Lime_key_damage.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

Lime_key_damage.jpg

Michael,

You're correct, that's no rock strike; I have a bunch from the Bull Run and they do not look anything like that. That mark is a key mark or someone walked close by with something that scratched the car. That is terrible hopefully you can figure out who did this--the sad thing is you probably won't. The old addage, "Mean People Suck" come to mind. Sorry for the loss & best of luck.

Stuart

Michael - very sorry to hear about the vandalism. I just went over my car, and rock chips are all I got. They could be bug chips, some of those bastards were big and hard enough. However, no key damage. I hope we get video.

I'm also saddened to hear about the death of the lovely young girl. I remember as we passed the accident site, I told Andrea there had been a fatality. When she asked "why do you think that?", I said there were too many people hanging around with somber looks. Unfortunately, the rally and subsequent events overshadowed what I saw that morning, and it slipped my mind until now.

Micheal,

This really sucks to hear and I hope you find the bastard that did this and make him pay! I got a couple of scratches myself and it looks like I'll be paying for them for awhile and I even now have to teach my wife to drive my car, help! :talkhand:

I'm really sorry to hear about the young girl and our condolences got out to hear family. I'm not sure but I think I meet with one of them the first day we got there and she gave us a ride in the Latias van to our room.

Mark & Dawn

That is indeed no rock damage but a key scratch. What a F bastard thing to do. They have to lynch

this person.

It reminds me to one of our car shows in The Netherlands. We had been warned that some anti car environmentalists aholes could be taken actions on our show. Eventually there was one car scratched and when he tried to scratch another one he got caught by our security. You can imagine what happened to him before we called the police. They asked how his nose and teeth were damaged. We said he tripped when he tried to run away and fell on his face. :headscratch: Yeah sure. :hysterical:

Courtney was a nice girl. If I remember correctly, she was from Mason, Tx. Moved to Alpine with a friend of hers and eventually O.K. recruited her to the resort. She had her whole life in front of her. Glad to hear Alcohol was not a factor. Have to admit that I also made assumptions.

If someone has a picture of Courtney please post it, I wish I had taken a photo of her she was such a beautiful young girl with the most stunning blue eyes you have ever seen; the thing I remember most about her is her smile and kindness. We stayed another day after the event so we could go four wheeling and have a sunset ride with OK (KIM), I will never forget that ride I have some great photos I will post later.

I as well thought the car damage could have been from all the rocks but its obvious that someone keyed that car. My car #16 has a totaly trashed front end. I might as well buy a new bumper, headlight covers, turn singal covers, grill, pony emblem, HOOD SCOOP, my windshield has three huge rock chips, plus all the chips in the fenders and hood. If didn't have had the THE MOST INCREDIBLE TIME OF MY LIFE I would be pretty bummed at what happened to my car but I learned if you want to play with the big boys thats the price.

Sorry to see that someone keyed your car that is really SH&TY

If someone has a picture of Courtney please post it, I wish I had taken a photo of her she was such a beautiful young girl with the most stunning blue eyes you have ever seen; the thing I remember most about her is her smile and kindness. We stayed another day after the event so we could go four wheeling and have a sunset ride with OK (KIM), I will never forget that ride I have some great photos I will post later.

I as well thought the car damage could have been from all the rocks but its obvious that someone keyed that car. My car #16 has a totaly trashed front end. I might as well buy a new bumper, headlight covers, turn singal covers, grill, pony emblem, HOOD SCOOP, my windshield has three huge rock chips, plus all the chips in the fenders and hood. If didn't have had the THE MOST INCREDIBLE TIME OF MY LIFE I would be pretty bummed at what happened to my car but I learned if you want to play with the big boys thats the price.

Sorry to see that someone keyed your car that is really SH&TY

Which girl was she was she? Was she with the first group of horse riding? I can remember the 2 girls just which one? I too have a small chip/crack in my windshield with chips in the hood and I am shure the plastic lens covers on the lights are sandblasted too I am still driving back and in Kansas right now heading to Pitts

sorry to hear about the scratches on TS cars, such a shame :angry2:

Which girl was she was she? Was she with the first group of horse riding? I can remember the 2 girls just which one? I too have a small chip/crack in my windshield with chips in the hood and I am shure the plastic lens covers on the lights are sandblasted too I am still driving back and in Kansas right now heading to Pitts

sorry to hear about the scratches on TS cars, such a shame :angry2:

She was the younger girl...had a tatoo on her left wrist..."classy"? I think is what it said....she drove the van for the shooting events too...

If you have meet Michael you know he would do anything for a fellow TS member. This is the man that helped organize the California migration to Terlingua and have t-shirts made up for everyone that participated. This is the man that won the Texas hold’em and gave the luggage he won away to his friends. This man goes to member events gets along with everybody he meets and has a good time with his friends to escape reality for a short time.

One of the great things about being a part of an owners group is that we share the same feelings about the cars and you shouldn’t have to worry about thing like this happening at an event, like you do if you have to park your car in some parking lot and worry about it every second you are gone.

I love TS and its members, this is a group of really good people it is hard for me to get over that a member would do something like this, so I’m not going to jump to conclusions and destroy all the great memories I have of TS, the people and the event I have been on. (Then he would win and I hate to see a loser win.) As far as I am concerned this must have been done by some A-HOLE outsider on Saturday night…..

My thoughts and prays have been going to Courtney and her family, may god give her wings to fly to heaven.

See you at the next event!!!!!!

John K.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I am positive this happened in Terlingua between Saturday morning and Sunday morning. I had a Colgan bra on my car between Ca and Tx. When we arrived I removed it to clean the car and did not re-install. After the trip to Alpine Friday afternoon, my car got covered with bugs and I cleaned it again. I put the bra back on for the Bull Run. I would have seen the damage if it had happened in Alpine.

We started the Bull Run, but due to fact that the runway drag strip undulations caused my Spydershaft to hit the top of the tunnel and rip the weight off, I had to retire early. The harmonic vibrations cause by an out of balance drive shaft made my car undriveable at the 100+ MPH pace. I never went any further than Alpine. We returned to Lajitas, met up with Andy and Dave from Bull Run at lunch and they gave us their flat black Mustang to meet everyone at the last check point at the lodge in Big Bend national park. (very cool gesture by two really nice guys)

I have posted pictures of my car. We have pictures of the other car and I will leave the posting of those pictures to that cars owner.

As you can see, no rock did this. Please take my word, the other cars divot is identical in depth and shape.

Those of you who know me, or met me in Texas, would know I would never make any accusation that a fellow TS member did this. I also hope no one else has to suffer the sickening feeling of disbelief that I did when I found this vandalism.

Michael

No way this was a TS member....I just don't see that...makes no sense... At least it can be fixed while they are repainting the hood from all the rock chips... :hysterical:

In all seriousness, I had heard there were a few motorcycle riders staying at the resort that were unhappy with our driving around them...could be someone local, or someone unrelated to our event staying there....you never know. Ft. Davis I noticed a lot of teens hanging around...who knows...

I bet it was one of those Bullrun girls! :drool:

I should go back and interrogate them! :lurk:

No way this was a TS member....I just don't see that...makes no sense... At least it can be fixed while they are repainting the hood from all the rock chips... :hysterical:

In all seriousness, I had heard there were a few motorcycle riders staying at the resort that were unhappy with our driving around them...could be someone local, or someone unrelated to our event staying there....you never know. Ft. Davis I noticed a lot of teens hanging around...who knows...

I bet it was one of those Bullrun girls! :drool:

I should go back and interrogate them! :lurk:

Hey Warren,

My car was never in Ft Davis and we have pics on Saturday after Alpine that show no damage yet.

Body shop Friday. I will be in Malaysia and China until the 21st, so the damage should be history by the time I get back. Replaced the windshield on Saturday and ordered new headlights. The bra kept the paint almost chip free.

Michael

Hey Warren,

My car was never in Ft Davis and we have pics on Saturday after Alpine that show no damage yet.

Body shop Friday. I will be in Malaysia and China until the 21st, so the damage should be history by the time I get back. Replaced the windshield on Saturday and ordered new headlights. The bra kept the paint almost chip free.

Michael

Smart having a bra. We all have to get a decal with "My Shelby survived Terlingua" on it. We returned our rental and it was a white car, so there was no damag to see easily. I returned it with all decals on. I said keep it this way. Now everybody wants to rent it.

well, nice to know they have me racing golf carts on video, hopefully they have the person who damaged the cars as well

:shift::busted::hysterical:

Well, at least they can't fire you! :hysterical:

Here is a picture of Courtney.

The Lajitas resort September newsletter (6+MB download)

http://www.lajitas.com/p/SEPT%2008%20newsletter.pdf

has an article about the Terlingua and the Shelby invasion, and this picture of Courtney:

2920459450_831770237c_o.jpg

Very sad time for all.

Condolences and prayers to her family and friends, and to all of us, who are diminished by her loss.

Hey Warren,

Michael

Hmm, wow, we had the banquet dinner and Shelby autograph session...seems like someone would have seen something...

Can you pinpoint when you and Mark's cars were in the same area? I know I saw your car parked by the front area most the time...was there a time when Mark's car was there too?

Amazingly I came out with no rock chips, though I heard a lot of hits while driving...some had windshield damage even...my truck did.

I do have to replace the right front fog light though...oh well.

Give me a name and I'll break some kneecaps!! Some people need to be taught some respect!

Smart having a bra. We all have to get a decal with "My Shelby survived Terlingua" on it. We returned our rental and it was a white car, so there was no damag to see easily. I returned it with all decals on. I said keep it this way. Now everybody wants to rent it.

No kidding...You did a great job keeping up in that V6!!! Terlingua was definitely an achievement just to get through!! Talk about practical driving experience!!!

Does anyone else have trouble keeping their cars in double digits now? :hysterical::shift:

Clear Bra with the Colgan bra on also worked their magic in Terlingua. No rock chips anywhere. I even had it installed on all the front lights and windshield pillars and they came thru. I think I can get over how it looks on a white car now that I know it earned its keep :)

You returned it with the decals??? That is hee-larious. Too funny.

Archived