TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Update & Comments from the NAIAS 2006 in Detroit

Well folks.... I'm back from the Auto Show In Detroit & I'm ready to give a report. I was their just after the doors opened & I went straight to the FORD camp display. Apon my arival in this massive display, I looked for the biggest crowd around, I then proceeded to walked over to that area, and what do I see, a white 2007 Mustang Shelby GT 500 w/blue metallic vinal stripes spinning around on a turn table.....where nobody could touch it! That's right, where nobody could touch it, sit in it or open the hood.

I then asked where the red Shelby GT 500 convertable was.....they said " they took it back to the shop yesterday before the public viewing". I asked why & they didn't seem to know why.

So from that point forward I had to just stare at it as it rotated around for what seemed liked hours (who knows, I lost track of time at that point) studying ever little detail I could. I took lots of photos that I will post after I get the 35mm film developed.

I asked for Shelby lititure, but they said they did not print any up because they were still finalizing options, but they could send me one when it becomes available. They then directed me to the regular hand outs & said that their is 2 pages of photo's in the concept handout that covers the Shelby, so I got a few until the next one comes out.

I then asked the all mighty question of HOW MANY WILL BE MADE? and NOT to my surprise I got different answers from each.

Lets review them shall we:

Lady in the morning spinning on the platform w/the car - said " between 9k to 14k

Guy in the late afternoon spinning on the platform w/the car - said " between 8k to 10k

Guy handing out lititure carrying bags that works at the Mustang plant - said " Ford is considering NOT making this a limited production car & is looking at making as many as the markets wants & we have room on the production line for up to 40,000 more cars!"

"As of matter of fact, we are building the first Twelve (12) Shelby's this month for Executives & CEO’s to drive and test the reliability of the car & give minor suggestions on changes before going into full production as of JUNE 12th. " He also indicated that most of the Shelby GT 500's will be built first before the other models come out.

I then asked when can I place an order? and was told that dealers are taking down payments right now but they are not giving you a filanlized price so you may have to pay a little more when it comes in & we have heard as much as 25K above MSRP. But if you wait until March, all pricing will be finallized & you will know excactly how much it will be & how many will be made. Base price for the coupe is 40K & 45K for the Vert.

Take this information for what it is worth but the bottom line is ....What color do I want, is it a vert or not & what color stripes to put on it. All-in-all, I was very happy to finally see for my own eyes the car I have been wanting so long for to go in my every 10 year stable of mustangs. (1987 GT, 1997 SVT, 2007 Shelby)

I then asked the all mighty question of HOW MANY WILL BE MADE? and NOT to my surprise I got different answers from each.

Lady in the morning spinning on the platform w/the car - said " between 9k to 14k

Guy in the late afternoon spinning on the platform w/the car - said " between 8k to 10k

Guy handing out lititure carrying bags that works at the Mustang plant - said " Ford is considering NOT making this a limited production car & is looking at making as many as the markets wants & we have room on the production line for up to 40,000 more cars!"

"As of matter of fact, we are building the first Twelve (12) Shelby's this month for Executives & CEO’s to drive and test the reliability of the car & give minor suggestions on changes before going into full production as of JUNE 12th. " He also indicated that most of the Shelby GT 500's will be built first before the other models come out.

I then asked when can I place an order? and was told that dealers are taking down payments right now but they are not giving you a filanlized price so you may have to pay a little more when it comes in & we have heard as much as 25K above MSRP. But if you wait until March, all pricing will be finallized & you will know excactly how much it will be & how many will be made. Base price for the coupe is 40K & 45K for the Vert.

Take this information for what it is worth but the bottom line is ....What color do I want, is it a vert or not & what color stripes to put on it. All-in-all, I was very happy to finally see for my own eyes the car I have been wanting so long for to go in my every 10 year stable of mustangs. (1987 GT, 1997 SVT, 2007 Shelby)

Thanks for sharing. Not good news about production numbers if they make more than 7-10,000. I guess dealers can't take orders until mid March which means we won't see the final options list until then.

Maybe we can still have time to infulence their decisions on some issues. ie: stripe combos,interior colors ect.

Hopefully they have been reading these boards lately and will consider some of our concerns!

BLUE OR GREY SEAT INSERTS, BLACK STRIPE OPTION THANK YOU: :unsure:

So from that point forward I had to just stare at it as it rotated around for what seemed liked hours (who knows, I lost track of time at that point) studying ever little detail I could. I took lots of photos that I will post after I get the 35mm film developed.

Did you get dizzy? Can't wait to see the pics.

It should be a limited production, hell if thousands are made I will keep my 1 fo 141 360R!

I know that logic rarely creeps into corporate decisions. However, assuming they are making money on each GT500, and assuming they can build as many as they can sell, why would they forego the profit? I'm sure the shareholders would like to see the company in the black for 2006.

Awesome report! Can't wait for the pics!!!

I would believe the guy from the Mustang plant. The others were probably models working the show, who don't know anything. If Ford is pulling a profit--and I highly doubt they aren't- then why not make as many as are ordered? I don't care, as long as I get mine. June 12th has appeared more than a few times lately as start of production. I also heard Monday, March 13th for the order banks to open up--from more than one source. Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, yeah!!!

Awesome report! Can't wait for the pics!!!

I would believe the guy from the Mustang plant. The others were probably models working the show, who don't know anything. If Ford is pulling a profit--and I highly doubt they aren't- then why not make as many as are ordered? I don't care, as long as I get mine. June 12th has appeared more than a few times lately as start of production. I also heard Monday, March 13th for the order banks to open up--from more than one source. Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, yeah!!!

Sorry guys, but they've got you so enamored and starving for this car that your talking gibberish......

Unlimited production means that the car will not be worth anything, from a collector's standpoint (ie..10 years from now), and makes it less valuable, so dealers shouldn't bother to scalp it. I guess you could say that's good, but If that is the case, I wouldn't pay a dime more than MSRP for the car.

Let's summarize where the car is compared to the show car that we all fell in love with: so far....Ugly hood change, painted stripes replaced with tacki vinal stripes, third brake light GLARES out at you from smack dab in the center of the trunklid, "SHELBY" on rear deck reduced to no more than a model ID stuck on for brand recognition, same as a Probe or Focus, other than that - a totally uninspired tail on the car, it's heavy, much of the show car's sharp interior will be optional, now we add unlimited production numbers (...no future value). All this car has to offer over a GT at this point is a motor.

Performance wise, there are better ways to spend $55,000 to $60,000 than this.

I agree that there are better ways to spend 55-60k. However, I have no intention of spending that. On another note, I can't think of anything I'd rather spend 40k on than this car. Regardless of how many negative opinions exist about this car, Ford has given us the best Mustang of my lifetime and definitely the fastest Mustang ever! Were there compromises between concept and production? Yes. We all new there would be. I am very happy with what Ford has brought us and I can't wait to place my order, as I'm sure many others agree.

I agree that there are better ways to spend 55-60k. However, I have no intention of spending that. On another note, I can't think of anything I'd rather spend 40k on than this car. Regardless of how many negative opinions exist about this car, Ford has given us the best Mustang of my lifetime and definitely the fastest Mustang ever! Were there compromises between concept and production? Yes. We all new there would be. I am very happy with what Ford has brought us and I can't wait to place my order, as I'm sure many others agree.

For $40k - I absolutely agree with you. However, I seriously doubt that too many are going to get a GT500 for much under $50k in the first production year, and I am pretty sure that many will pay closer to $55k or $60k for a loaded model.

My point was just that many, many, things have changed since this car was first presented, and that even $45k is a lot of money for a production line Mustang (meaning not limited production) with no substanciated performance numbers. OK, so its 475+ HP. Impressive, to be sure. "Most powerful Mustang ever..", sure it is...until next year or the year after. It's definately a nice car though.

I seriously doubt this car will be "unlimited production" given the extesive engine modifications. This engine is not a run of the mill production line unit. Hopefully the truth will soon be known.....

Even if production was unlimited, how many customers do you think exist that not only want the car, but can actually afford the car (even at MSRP w/o ADM's)? At $40K, I think Ford would be lucky to sell 10,000 GT500's per year. Factor in ADM's at many dealerships, and I think it will be tough to sell 7,500 GT500's per year.

There are lots of people out there with $40K-$50K to spend on a car, but not many of them want a GT500. Conversely, there are lots of people out there that want a GT500, but not many of them have $40K-$50K to spend on a car. The trick is finding the guys with $40K-$50K to spend who actually want the GT500.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 16 2006, 10:23 AM) 2405[/snapback]

Even if production was unlimited, how many customers do you think exist that not only want the car, but can actually afford the car (even at MSRP w/o ADM's)? At $40K, I think Ford would be lucky to sell 10,000 GT500's per year. Factor in ADM's at many dealerships, and I think it will be tough to sell 7,500 GT500's per year.

There are lots of people out there with $40K-$50K to spend on a car, but not many of them want a GT500. Conversely, there are lots of people out there that want a GT500, but not many of them have $40K-$50K to spend on a car. The trick is finding the guys with $40K-$50K to spend who actually want the GT500.

Nail on the head rigght there.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 16 2006, 01:23 PM) 2405[/snapback]

I really do hope that your right, and I'm not. Part of the "coolness" of owning a Shelby Mustang was always that fact that they were "special." Not very many were around. It wasn't like you could drive around for a half hour and pass 2 more of them on the street.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 16 2006, 10:23 AM) 2405[/snapback]

The voice of reason again. Thanks Five Oh B!!! I agree, this car will recieve alot of respect and certainly admiration, but I still think the actual buyers market is limited. I believe the most orders they could recieve in the first year of production would be around 10k. 7k the second. 3k the third. Although I certainly think the new model Mustang has gererated alot of public interest, and they will be introducing new models for sure, like the Boss and the Mach 1, the GT500 will be the top performer without a dought. There is no market for a Mustang above this price range, and therefore all other models will be somewhere between the GT500 and the regular Mustang GT, say 350hp. Personally I think the smartest thing to do is mod the current V8 in the Mustang GT. But, if the GT500 is offers any insight, I would assume the future models like the Boss and Mach1 will offer little change in body style from the regular Mustangs, which as of the '07 model year will no longer grab the attention of the public the way that it does now, as it will no longer be new.

As for my GT500..........I can't wait!!!!! Nothing in this price point will touch it!!! And if the off-center SHELBY is my biggest gripe than I would say they did pretty well, cosidering the extreme expectations I had.

KingCobra.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 16 2006, 10:23 AM) 2405[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

As for my GT500..........I can't wait!!!!! Nothing in this price point will touch it!!! And if the off-center SHELBY is my biggest gripe than I would say they did pretty well, cosidering the extreme expectations I had.

KingCobra.

Can you say...... AFTER MARKET? Aaaaaaafffffffffftttteeeeeerrrrrr Mmmmmmaaaarrrrrkkkkkeeeeettttt!!!!!

Yup, Thats right, Aftermarket... It Can & Will happen, just wait & see.

What I really want is a sidepipes option...oh yaaaaaaaa!

You got me there!!!!!

That would be seriously cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is anybody offering aftermarket products for the GT500 yet???

KingCobra.

The only thing I've read is that Shelby automotive is planning something and will reveal after release of the car. I'm shure there will be alot out there soon.

Possible upgrades to GT500 [thread on this forum]

The aftermarket is already starting

Archived