TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter Storage

ejrail

I bought my SGT last December. We can have severe winters here in northern Utah so even new, it sat for several weeks at a time last year. I was so anxious to try her out I did manage to take her out for short trips at least every other weekend. It is kept in a garage that hasn't gotten below 40 degrees in the last 11 years. I bought a cover on the way home from the dealership when I took delivery of my car but I have never stored a car for the entire winter before.

Our newspaper had an article yesterday about storing gasoline engines like lawn and garden equip, lawnmowers and snow blowers. They had two suggestions from local engine shops. One was to run the piece of equipment until it ran out of gas before storing it. I know I wouldn't do this to my car. The other suggestion was to add a fuel stabilizer, run it for several minutes to coat the insides and top it off with gas to minimumize condensation in the fuel tank. Otherwise the gas supposedly could gum things up inside. I have seen ads for fuel stabilizer at Checker and Auto Zone lately. I was told by one shop to start it, with the garage door up, and let it idle until it reaches operating temps every week or two. It has also been mentioned to put the car on jack stands and removing the tires.

I'm not much for the jack stand idea. What the need for speed is too great in the gloom of winter? Has anybody tried fuel stablizer? Any other ideas for the ones who must hibernate?

I do the following when storing mine:

1. Add "Sta-bil" to the gas, fill the tank, run it for a few minutes. You don't want to store it with an empty tank because you'll get condensation in the tank.

2. Pull the battery and put it on a battery tender. Letting it idle for a few minutes isn't going to cut it. The charging system isn't that efficient. It needs significant driving time at higher RPMs to top off the battery.

3. Put her up on jack stands to eliminate suspension sag and flat spots on tires. Do not let the suspension totally hang free. Tires should still contact the ground.

Just my two_cents.gif

bt8.jpg

My 2 cents is different then Kittys. :lurk:

Fill the tank up. No need for gas additives. Todays gasolines has additives in it to keep it good for a winter setting.

Todays tires are also fine sitting for 6 months in one spot. Use a battery tender, and no need to pull the battery.

Use a car bubble / capsul to keep the air flowing around the car and protect it.

Trannyoriginal096.jpg

I'll even go lower!

I had mine in my unheated garage this past terrible Chicago winter and only changed the oil a few weeks before, filled the tank, started it once a week, let it idle for 30-45 min (garage door opened 6" :hysterical: ) and that was it! I did take it out twice over the winter when the roads were clear and dry for a ride around the block a few times, but that's it!

I also worked on cleaning the car over the winter by placing a space heater in the garage and working one section at a time for relaxation and every so often start the engine just to hear it. :shift:

Never had a problem starting or any issue with the battery.

Having said that I have heard others are not so lucky so your mileage may vary!

P.S. I want that bubble!!!

Any attention is good. If you jack it up, don't let the suspension hang. Change the oil before storage and try to keep the car DRY. That's probably the most important thing. I'm going to invest in that "Car Bubble".

If it's not too much trouble, take the car out on a dry, "salt free road" day and drive it several miles.

My good cars sit from November to April, all I do is make sure the battery tender is on, that's it, never had any problems.

I overinflated my tires to avoid flat spotting. They never lost a pound all Winter.

Were exactly the same pressure when I took the car out again in March.

Battery tender is the way to go.

Many have found dead batteries after only 3 or 4 weeks.

Mine cost $20 and will extend the life of your battery.

Where is the best place to get a battery tender????

I should get one for my Riding Lawn Mower as well, I have a battery charger, not a tender. Maybe mine is both, I am not sure.

Battery Tender is a particular brand of trickle charger. I picked up a trickle charger that uses "float mode monitoring" to keep the battery charge topped off as needed. I got mine at Autozone, but I've also seen the same types at Wally World and other autoparts stores.

Its pretty sensitive to detecting a change in battery voltage. After connecting the charger and waiting for it to reach full charge, I pressed the unlock button on the key fob which flashes the parking lights. I noticed the charger instantly kicked on for about 30 seconds to top off the battery and then shut off.

I keep the charger connected to the battery (in the car) for the entire winter, but I only plug it in about once a week for 1 hour to keep the battery topped off.

-yellow pony

Thats the best idea

100_1102.jpg

My 2 cents is different then Kittys. :lurk:

Fill the tank up. No need for gas additives. Todays gasolines has additives in it to keep it good for a winter setting.

Todays tires are also fine sitting for 6 months in one spot. Use a battery tender, and no need to pull the battery.

Use a car bubble / capsul to keep the air flowing around the car and protect it.

Trannyoriginal096.jpg

What's this "Winter" thing you guys are talking about :hysterical2: I'll drive the 'vert all year round out here B) It's been over 95 degrees all week here, I could stand a little 60 degree fall weather... FWIW, I like a full tank with StaBil, battery tender on the installed battery, and fresh clean oil with a few extra PSI in the tires. 50 is about right. If you are not gonna do the bubble, my freinds back east swear by a bunch of dryer sheets layered throughout the car to keep vermin at bay.

Alan

All good stuff guys. Last winter I used fuel stabalizer in full tank of gas, left battery in car with cables off and trickle charger attached and kept her in a cold garage.

Any opnion if its better to keep her in a cold garage or climate controlled? I live in the northeast and have access to both.

Last year was my first experience with storing:

1) Did the Sta-bil

2) Full tank of gas

3) Battery charger fron BatteryStuff.com allwinter with bartery cables attached

Info: BT-021-0128 $47.00 1 Battery Tender Plus 12 volt 1

.25 amp 3 Stage Smart Charger

GND >2.75

4) Car Cover

5) Will use dryer fabric softner sheets for varmin - moth ball smell takes forver to go away

6) 35 psi in tires without being jacked up.

7) Never started or took it out. Salt in Detroit does not go away until late April and pot holes don't start getting fixed till May. Security system will lose it setting if I pull the battery.

Started fine, no flat spots on first ride.

DrKSGT

Question: For those keeping thier cars in the garage, or "storage", for 6 months of so (depending on where you live), what are you doing in regards to insurance?? Are you droping your insurance for the 6 months? Are you reducing it? Do insurance companies offer anything special for those cars which end up sitting for 6 months?? I realize depending on the timing, it may also impact your state registration as well.

Just throwing the question out there to see what your experience has been........and if there are any monthly cost savings to be had.

Thanks!!

My Grundy was only $668 for the year, I keep the insurance going to cover any

"spur of the moment" driving that weather allows for.

Last Winter, the car went out Christmas Day, New Years Day, Super Bowl Sunday

and Valentines Day.

didnt get much Winter precip here, so after a good rain, the roads were clean.

Question: For those keeping thier cars in the garage, or "storage", for 6 months of so (depending on where you live), what are you doing in regards to insurance?? Are you droping your insurance for the 6 months? Are you reducing it? Do insurance companies offer anything special for those cars which end up sitting for 6 months?? I realize depending on the timing, it may also impact your state registration as well.

Just throwing the question out there to see what your experience has been........and if there are any monthly cost savings to be had.

Thanks!!

I cut my insurance last year to a just cover my garage falling on it. I probably won't do that this year just in case there's a nice day and I need a fix.

Agree with most on this subject. Clean oil, inflate tires to at least 40 psi. battery tender is required. Also have a Shelby cover for mine. Started it up about every two weeks, just to hear it. worked out find in a rough Chicago winter. Steve

Thanks!!

I keep the comprehensive and drop the collison. I also have a very good Insurance agent that will put the collison back on if I get an itch.

Archived