TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MATT UPDATE (from accident)

herpony68

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I heard from my neurologist today about the MRIs I had done yesterday and it looks like I'm going to have to have a neurosurgeon go in and drain the fluid from around my spine in my neck. The upside of that is that by reducing that pressure on my spine I might be able to get some use of my left hand back. The MRIs of my spine showed definite nerve damage in my shoulder and arm so I won't get all of the use of my hand back, but it'd be damn nice to be able to use my thumb and first two fingers somewhat regularly (tying your shoes with just one hand is a pain in the :censored: .

Matt

Well, I heard from my neurologist today about the MRIs I had done yesterday and it looks like I'm going to have to have a neurosurgeon go in and drain the fluid from around my spine in my neck. The upside of that is that by reducing that pressure on my spine I might be able to get some use of my left hand back. The MRIs of my spine showed definite nerve damage in my shoulder and arm so I won't get all of the use of my hand back, but it'd be damn nice to be able to use my thumb and first two fingers somewhat regularly (tying your shoes with just one hand is a pain in the :censored: .

Matt

Matt,

Well we will be praying for you and the Surgeons. Good luck my friend and post pics of the new Shelby when you get it! Regards.

Stuart & Bea

Any chance you will have it by next weekend? Thats when we plan on coming to Houston to see you! :happy feet: :happy feet:

I want to wait until my insurance finishes with my last one before I get this one, which means that it'll probably be mid-November before I get a chance to drive up there and get it. I've the dealership not to hold it for me if anyone walks in off the street, but I'm not too worried about that because it's a 2007 that's been sitting in their showroom since it was delivered from SAI.

Matt

Excellent!!! You know what they say about falling off a horse right? Get right back on. I think that getting another car may be just the ticket. I am glad your doctors have a plan. It is always so much easier when you know what is going on and what can be done and have a plan. I hope to be able to come up next week with Warren but I will have to see what my life has scheduled for me.

You are in my prayers Matt.

Sean

Matt-I am SO SO SO HAPPY to hear from your own mouth how you are doing. I know the nerve damage has you troubled, but maybe the surgery to drain the fluid will help. Give it time, and do not be discouraged! I know you do not remember the accident which is best, but let me say I was VERY impressed with how the car came through it all, and how you came through it too, so kudos to Shelby and their safety features. I left the scene feeling safer than ever in my car, honestly. So glad you are recovering, and let any of us know if ther is anything we can do from you, even those of us who are far away!!!

Well, the good news is that I don't need surgery ... the bad news is that that's because the neurosurgeon can't do anything for me. It looks like instead of my brachial plexus just getting stretched and strained, one of the nerves actually tore away from my spine (an avulsion). Because of that type of injury, it's highly unlikely I'll ever get feeling back in my last two fingers and outer forearm. It could be worse though, some people with avulsions lose all feeling and use of their entire arms. At least I can still move my arm and have feeling in the first three fingers on that hand. With phyiscal threapy I should be able to get some of that use back. I can hold a steering wheel long enough to shift gears but I think that my high performance driving career is pretty much over.

I won't be able to enroll in the Lone Star Roundup next March but I should at least be able to visit.

Matt

Well, the good news is that I don't need surgery ... the bad news is that that's because the neurosurgeon can't do anything for me. It looks like instead of my brachial plexus just getting stretched and strained, one of the nerves actually tore away from my spine (an avulsion). Because of that type of injury, it's highly unlikely I'll ever get feeling back in my last two fingers and outer forearm. It could be worse though, some people with avulsions lose all feeling and use of their entire arms. At least I can still move my arm and have feeling in the first three fingers on that hand. With phyiscal threapy I should be able to get some of that use back. I can hold a steering wheel long enough to shift gears but I think that my high performance driving career is pretty much over.

I won't be able to enroll in the Lone Star Roundup next March but I should at least be able to visit.

Matt

Tough situation, for certain, Matt. I can see you being a glass-half-full guy, though, and that makes your trip into the future a lot better. Good on ye.

As for " ... pretty much over", look into the career of Alan Heath, racing driver from the forties and fifties. Or Django Reinhardt, guitarist. They found a way. I'm sure you will, too. Plenty of obstacles look imposing at first, but after some therapy they may not seem so significant. :shift:

Archived