TEAM SHELBY FORUM

9/26/08 Bandimere Club Clash

twobjshelbys

MoTheDigitalDiva and her driver (Melissa and Dave) invited me to the track last night. They call it a "club clash" where local clubs compete.

Steve (a coworker) brought his 2003 Cobra (4.6L, 4V) along too. He drives his in track races so has all the gear - suit and helmet.

I thought it would be a good way to get the feel for what the Kenne Bell did to the car.

Well, here's the first run (I'm the 638WW car in all the runs):

Bandimere1.jpg

Wow, that was cool. They made me go back and get a helmet and jacket and moved me into the next higher class. The magic number is 14.00.

Things didn't go so well the next time.

Bandimere2.jpg

The first time the track had maybe had 20 cars on it so my stock tires were able to stay in contact. This time they simply broke loose and never connected (look at the 330 time compared to the first run. After that the rest of the times are almost the same deltas. Sigh...

So in the competition run I had no clue what I was doing. Since they moved me up I put the minimum (which is a maximum) time of 13.99 and tried again.

This time the tires did the same thing. Except they didn't wait to start spinning, they started right away. I started to fishtail so let off the accelerator. Worse time than the second run.

Bandimere3.jpg

I just picked up the slip and hung my head in shame. I didn't even see until this morning when I started to scan them that I got the win because the other guy jumped the gun. If I'd noticed I would have gone in and tried the other side.

Bottom line is the KB probably makes this a sub 13 car, but it needs a new set of tires to do it. Next spring.

After I get some new rubber, I'll have to go to practice getting off the lights. My reactin times improved as I got how to read the start (I need to go just after the second light comes on, no third), but that's just how my eyes work.

Dave did get a real win in the first run. He put in 15.000 and pulled a 15.006. Most of the experienced drivers know what their cars can do and so are so incredibly close. I saw one guy, who obviously knew what he was doing, tap on his brake just before the end, and won his run because he slowed down ever so slightly.

It's fun, and I'll probably do it again. Practice is the key here, and they have open run nights on Wednesday through the season, but the season is almost over and besides I need new tires.

There were so many "cool cars" there that I'll add some pictures to that topic.

I also got some shots of Dave's runs that I'll put up later today.

Melissa and Dave: Thanks for the invite! It was fun.

And this sucks: The weather was rather unsettled, with microburst wind gusts up until about 6:00 when the storm cell broke up. It never rained very much, but the wind caught my door while I was getting my camera from the back seat and made a very conspicuous ding gash in Melissa's door. I am so sorry. It shall be made to look as good as new.

Please remember that the "Black Vert Mafia" has rules about hits on its members.

Oh no - you won but didn't pass the finish line first!! I'm so sorry we didn't take a look at your slip and notice that. Look at the bright side - it was late, we were all tired (and ready to start the real drinking) and you could've ended up being there all night long until you beat everybody. Oh wait that might've been cool after all...

Dave has already captured his vid from last night. I'll get that posted over the next couple of days. In the run of his that you mentioned you can see him leaning forward trying to get the car to move faster. Funny stuff.

There were so many "cool cars" there that I'll add some pictures to that topic.

I also got some shots of Dave's runs that I'll put up later today.

Melissa and Dave: Thanks for the invite! It was fun.

And this sucks: The weather was rather unsettled, with microburst wind gusts up until about 6:00 when the storm cell broke up. It never rained very much, but the wind caught my door while I was getting my camera from the back seat and made a very conspicuous ding in Melissa's door. I am so sorry. It shall be made to look as good as new.

Please remember that the "Black Vert Mafia" has rules about hits on its members.

Where can I find that rulebook?? :cry:

So I get done spraying weeds and stuff and wash the Shelby. I got to the back wheel wells and under the bumper area and it's all covered with a layer of ground up tire scum from when my wheels spun. It took about an hour and bug/tar remover to get it off the outside surfaces on both sides. I left the insides of the wheel wells alone - I figure I just got a small free undercoating application. I noticed a few cars with blue painters tape in these areas. Next time a couple of rolls of blue tape will be in the trunk.

Guys

i was at bandimere last week and competed in the stickshift challenge. I ran a 12.5 at 115 MPH. I can tell you that tires make all the difference. before i got my nittos (305/35/R18) i could not break into the 12's. now i think if i drive her right i could run a low 12 second number. practice and Tires make all the difference.....

we really should try to get a "shelby breakfast club" day at Bandimere next year!

Ron

here is my timeslip. i won the race but lost because i broke out. I dialed a 12.7 and ran a 12.57. the car got much faster as the night got cooler. I was running 12.9 in the early afternoon and improved the time as it cooled. this run was at about 65 degrees.

some tips to improve times:

get sticky tires

launch at about 2500-3000 RPM

Launch when you see the third yellow light

shift at 5800RPM

Traction Control off

practice

this is done with a CAI/Tune/2.6" pulley. stock blower. Axle-back exhaust only.

with a KB you should run in the 11's if you have traction..... even here in Denver at mile high altitude!

ROn

post-2947-1222571295_thumb.jpg

here is my timeslip. i won the race but lost because i broke out. I dialed a 12.7 and ran a 12.57. the car got much faster as the night got cooler. I was running 12.9 in the early afternoon and improved the time as it cooled. this run was at about 65 degrees.

get sticky tires

shift at 5800RPM

practice

with a KB you should run in the 11's if you have traction..... even here in Denver at mile high altitude!

ROn

Whoa! Quite impressive. I'd love to see you & your car and Bandimere sometime!

CC

Pictures from Dave The Driver's first timed run in MoTheDigitalDiva's car. These are the first low light pictures I took with the D700. It works pretty good. These were shot at ISO2000 with a 80-200 f2.8 lens. Part 1 (Limit to the number of images that can be put in one post.)

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

get sticky tires

shift at 5800RPM

Traction Control off

practice

ROn

Ron, were you there on Friday night??? There was a car trailered in that looked like yours just a couple of rows over. I kept meaning to go talk to the guy but kept getting side-tracked. Our club, the Colorado Stangs, had a great turn out so I had many people to catch up with.

There was a brand spanking new challenger there too - pretty sweet car. The owners drove her straight from the dealers lot but didn't want to run her quite yet. Not as hot as our Shelby's but still, a pretty mean looking beast.

great pictures tony, thanks!

omg, how cool would it be if the breakfast club could have a lunch or dinner club at bandimere. perfect place for a bar-b-que picnic.

I think Dave needs to get you a Kenne Bell for your birthday. :)

I second the Breakfast Club idea of a meet there next year.

Gack, maybe we'll have to get organized and plan a calendar. Too many good ideas are coming up to keep it ad hoc.

I'll put all of the pics in huge JPEG onto a CD or DVD.

I think Dave needs to get you a Kenne Bell for your birthday. :)

I second the Breakfast Club idea of a meet there next year.

Gack, maybe we'll have to get organized and plan a calendar. Too many good ideas are coming up to keep it ad hoc.

Yea, that's all everybody needs: a female driver who has no idea of how to drive a manual tranny, driving a 500hp manual tranny. It scares me and I'm that female driver! I'd be happy with just those sweet engine dressing caps. ;-)

Yea, that's all everybody needs: a female driver who has no idea of how to drive a manual tranny, driving a 500hp manual tranny. It scares me and I'm that female driver! I'd be happy with just those sweet engine dressing caps. ;-)

OK, then a Paxton. It won't be obtrusive until 2800RPM, and it'll help improve Dave's track times.

If anyone is having problems with bad links on some of the pictures I apologize. The photobucket folder organization was wrong so I corrected it and of course my stale cache made it look like I'd cleaned everything up correctly. If you can't see them now try clearing your cache and forcing a refresh on the page.

Sorry that I missed the last club clash, but you know I had to endure the pain of hanging with Mr. Shelby in Terlingua and deal with the agony of chasing a cop down a public road at over 145 mph at the same time you guys were at Bandimere. :yahoo::poke:

Oh, poor JeffJ. :cry: only 145 mph???

Sounds like you guys had a great time in Terlingua (except for that one really bad accident).

Ron, were you there on Friday night??? There was a car trailered in that looked like yours just a couple of rows over. I kept meaning to go talk to the guy but kept getting side-tracked. Our club, the Colorado Stangs, had a great turn out so I had many people to catch up with.

There was a brand spanking new challenger there too - pretty sweet car. The owners drove her straight from the dealers lot but didn't want to run her quite yet. Not as hot as our Shelby's but still, a pretty mean looking beast.

no i have never trailered my car....

I take pride in DRIVING my car to the track and running in the mid 12's.....then driving home! faster than many of the cars that are trailered in!

I've only been to Bandimere once this year and that was a couple of weeks ago (the day after the sept shelby breakfast club meeting) ... I don't plan on going back to the track this year.

I saw a challenger there the weekend i raced.... ran in the 15 second range. is a nice looking car. I anticipate the MOPAR guys will start modding and make them alot quicker in the not too distant future....

Ron

Archived