TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gutted Cats?

08BlueCoupe

If I gutted my cats is there anyway ford can tell and/or void any piece of my warranty?

Yes.

Most definately.

Without a doubt.

And your now in violation of Federal EPA laws.

Sorry, but you asked.

But would ford check to see if my emissions were legal or not when i brought it in?

It really depends on what repair they are doing. I don't think that they would just arbitrarily check your emissions equipment, but it's really hard to say.

Once thing is for certain, if they do catch the cats being gutted, they will put that information into the Oasis system which is FomoCo's national warranty and repair tracking system and it will affect your warranty; to be more specific, it will kill it.

I'm kind of suprised that you have not gotten a check engine light yet. Do you have an aftermarket tune on your car? Because if you don't, I suspect that you will get a check engine light eventually and that in itself would cause the dealer to find out it's origin.

It really depends on what repair they are doing. I don't think that they would just arbitrarily check your emissions equipment, but it's really hard to say.

Once thing is for certain, if they do catch the cats being gutted, they will put that information into the Oasis system which is FomoCo's national warranty and repair tracking system and it will affect your warranty; to be more specific, it will kill it.

I'm kind of suprised that you have not gotten a check engine light yet. Do you have an aftermarket tune on your car? Because if you don't, I suspect that you will get a check engine light eventually and that in itself would cause the dealer to find out it's origin.

No no no, i havent done it yet =P I just wanted to ask a couple questions before i made my final decision

No no no, i havent done it yet =P I just wanted to ask a couple questions before i made my final decision

My advise (not that you're asking for it)? Unless you plan to install a set of long tube headers, I wouldn't do it. If you desire amazing sound, just change the axle backs to an aftermarket exhaust system and I believe that you will be very happy with the sound.

I suspect that you still have the stock exhaust of your car and if you do, the stock mufflers are definately not indicitive of how aftermarket mufflers sound like.

Additionally, without an aftermarket tune to make adjustments, you will get a check engine light and we already discussed what could happen at the dealer when that happens.

The bottom line is that when you think about removing or gutting your cats, you're either all in or all out, there really is no in between so to speak.

Good luck with your decision.

Judging by the type of sound it seems you are looking for, I really think you would be very pleased with a set of SLP loudmouth pipes installed on the car. They sound great. Nice health exhaust note when on the pedal, yet mild enough not to get noticed at the wrong times just putting at light throttle. Leave the cats intact.

Thank you 2006GT500 and jcthorne for the information and recomendation

As 2006 said I'm 15, which means I don't have all the money to buy expensive modifications so I thought i'd take the cheaper way out

Note-I haven't gutted the cats, i wanted some information about it

a10hogplt - you are one ignorant person arent you? There's no need for that comment, insulting isn't necessary.

Many guys on here by an aftermarket x pipe withouts. but if you don't have the money and want a different sound and a maybe a little more performance go ahead and gut the cats or have a muffler shop cut them out and put in 2 1/2 piece of pipe in place of them. You now have yourself a homemade off-road pipe. Of course you should still have the thing tuned and that chk engine light turned off after you do this

I remeber when i had my first mustang an 86 GT... this was the very first mod i did. However cats back then were very restrictive and you could actually pick up about 15 HP or so from gutting them. I remember the days of not having lots of money and it was fun doing homade stuff like that.

I say go for it.

damn, don't ruin a set of cats. You could sell them to a scrap metal guy and make some money, cats go for big money now of days. As for the dealership noticing, we could give two craps about cats where I work. As long as the cats aren't causing the problem we don't care what you have done.

How much can you sell cats for to the junk man?

Wish I had a GT500 at 15? I would leave the stock cats alone and search out an offroad H or X pipe (whatever they make for the GT500). Pypes makes a pretty cheap set-up for the regular GT's of which I had. This way you still have the stock set-up for smog testing or if/when you get nailed, and at your age you will be getting pulled over just because of your age (especially in a car like that), so you can go back stock. If you gut them and have to replace them, they are VERY expensive to replace ....

Archived