TEAM SHELBY FORUM

66 GT 350 Monte Carlo Bar

My 66 GT 350 has not been drilled for the front top bolt that mounts the Monte Carlo bar. The 3 other bolt holes, each side, are there but, not the top front on the left and right. This car was originally shipped from Shelby to Ford Advanced Vehicles in England in Dec 66. Were the Monte Carlo bars installed at Shelby? Was it an option?

Thanks for any information.

My 66 GT 350 has not been drilled for the front top bolt that mounts the Monte Carlo bar. The 3 other bolt holes, each side, are there but, not the top front on the left and right. This car was originally shipped from Shelby to Ford Advanced Vehicles in England in Dec 66. Were the Monte Carlo bars installed at Shelby? Was it an option?

Thanks for any information.

As I understand it, all Mustangs (and Falcons) that were destined to Europe were required to have the Monte Carlo, or otherwise known as the "export brace" to be installed on them prior to shipping overseas. The brace was required by German Transportation Ministry (TUG) in order to increase body rigidity, and FoMoCo just decided to go ahead and install them on all Mustangs and Falcons being shipped to Europe rather than cherry pick and install them on those cars just going to Germany.

The braces were installed by Shelby Automobiles, and there were also many U.S. owners that had them installed on their cars too because it was/is a darn good idea.

It's possible that your car made it through the bureaucracy because it was shipped from Ford U.S.A. directly to FAV in England, but who knows?

Archived