TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5.0 Coyote

GT500-07

Why would they use the 5.0? Better mpg? :lurk:

Yes, that's one reason, and because they can extract more H.P. at the sametime.

More ponies; less hay needed to feed them.

I'm not 100% certain of this, but as I understand it, the 5.0 engine will make it's debut after job 2, and the first batch of 2010's will still have the 4.6 engines in them.

Thanks.

Dumb question: What does compression ratio have to do with ability to hold up to supercharging?

High compression engines do not tolorate forced induction because there isn't allot of squash space available in the combustion chamber between the piston dome and the head as it is, and if you then force the fuel/air mixture into such a small space, you will find yourself having major detonation issues, blowing head gaskets, bending connecting rods, and also cause significant damage to a myriad of other internal components too.

Similar to an inflated balloon in theory... if you squeeze a balloon that completely full of air, you are now compressing the inside area that contains the air, and if there is no more space available for the balloon's chamber to displace the air within it, it pops.

High compression engines do not tolorate forced induction because there isn't allot of squash space available in the combustion chamber between the piston dome and the head as it is, and if you then force the fuel/air mixture into such a small space, you will find yourself having major detonation issues, blowing head gaskets, bending connecting rods, and also cause significant damage to a myriad of other internal components too.

Similar to an inflated balloon in theory... if you squeeze a balloon that completely full of air, you are now compressing the inside area that contains the air, and if there is no more space available for the balloon's chamber to displace the air within it, it pops.

Thanks!

Is this the same engine that they put in the Saleen P.J. cars?

Well technically no. The Saleen 302's were 4.6 engines that Saleen bored and stroked into a 302. The Coyote engine will be/is a purpose built 302 from soup to nuts.

Born as a 302 so to speak.

You see, with these new modular engines, FoMoCo can pretty much change they're displacements at will with very little internal modifications to the block.

Sounds pretty good, I wonder if it will run on 87 octane?

Wow, I'm REALLY glad there are at least rumors to a V8 option on the next model Stang. I thought I had heard somewhere that with all of the fuel hikes going on, and no end in sight, that Ford had scrapped the idea for a V8 in the next model altogether, and only the Ecoboost V6 would be available.

- Josh

• 5 weeks later...

I think this 'revised' modular may surprise many. First it's TiVCT -- Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing, a proven Ford tech on Ford-Europe DOHC I-4s but never before built into a Ford DOHC V8 to my knowledge. TiVCT provides much broader and flatter torque curves, more effective anti-detonation management, and better efficiency than a typical NA engine would otherwise be capable of.

I think the StangNet comment on compression is valid for a conventional engine but might not be as much of a problem on a TiVCT engine since independently variable intake and exhaust cams should permit programming for high static compression ratios with better detonation control. So additional boost, done right, should not be a problem, imo. This is new stuff! Too bad it's not also Direct Injection (DI) -- or at least there's no mention of it -- since DI would greatly improve the ability to manage detonation for two reasons: 1) there's no fuel in the cylinder during compression (it's injected at the last instant) and 2) DI directly cools the combustion chamber just when detonation would otherwise be likely to occur (at max compression). I'm sure DI is coming but maybe not just yet. Still 400HP in a volume-build 5.0 TiVCT DOHC V8 in the GT will be one smokin' value!!!

There are so many 5.0 variations recently (and over the years) that you need a playbill to keep 'em straight:

-There's the old (and Boss redux version) of the 5.0 pushrod SBFs that were highly oversquare (4.0"bore 3.0"stroke).

-There's the FR500C modular DOHC 5.0 "cammer" which uses Ford spray-bore metalurgy liner technology to get from the effectively square 4.6 (3.552 bore x 3.543 stroke) to 5.0 via bore alone yielding a slightly oversquare engine that likes to rev a bit freer.

-Then there's the PJ Saleen which, although Saleen hones the cylinders for truness, actually gets to 5.0 with all stroke, i.e. it winds up a little under-square.

-My understanding is that the Coyote is different than all the predecessors: a revised and strengthened roughly 'square' design like the 4.6 but using thinner conventional cylinder liners (2.5mm vs the 4.6's 4.0mm) to increase bore about .10" and also slightly longer sleeve to accommodate about .10" stroke increase yielding approx a 3.65" x 3.63" B/S.

These were very likely the 2.5mm-liner alloy blocks I spied on the Romeo volume floor -- though they're to be produced at Windsor according to StangNet and that's consistent with what I've heard too.

How cool is this? A volume-build 5.0L TiVCT DOHC V8 with 400HP flatter torque curve, better mileage (11:1 comp. and TiVCT should be good for a couple mpg), and carrying a modest GT price tag is huge, imo!!! And at 3500 lbs it will kick Camaro's 6.2/430HP and Challenger's 6.2/475HP fat butts from NY to LA! :hysterical: (...and there's always the GT500 for serious fun which likely get's a tweak for '10MY as well).

The 5.0 Coyote in the GT could be the best performance value in a very long time -- I bet Ford will have to limit the build-mix because these puppies are going to sell!!! I strongly suspect it will also be a multi-octane engine happily running on a default of 87 octane since Ford is committed to all enignes getting the new ECU programming asap ...and with TiVCT it just makes that much more sense, imo.

Will be interesting to see exactly what internals Ford stuffs in the Coyote. I suspect the GT will cracked-powder rods, aluminum hypereutectics and beefier cast crank. However, a Romeo special production-blueprinted version with forged internals might make for a sweet BOSS SE, don't you think? ...if Ford ever actually does one! Still, the '10MY Coyote GT sure sounds like the poor-man's BOSS many have been hoping for!

:) :happy feet: :bandance: :drool::shift:

-Dan

Archived