TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Plenum Cover Help

I only use my Plenum cover at shows. I use flat washers to make the clearance. I am not an expert but I driving it that way would be a bad idea. The strut tower brace is designed to sit flat on the inner fender well. Using the washers, raises the brace off the fender wells and I think would put to much pressure on the bolts.

I only use my Plenum cover at shows. I use flat washers to make the clearance. I am not an expert but I driving it that way would be a bad idea. The strut tower brace is designed to sit flat on the inner fender well. Using the washers, raises the brace off the fender wells and I think would put to much pressure on the bolts.

+1 and I was glad to see you say the same thing in the old thread.

Thanks for the reply's. I was mistaken in thinking that the SGT strut brace was the same as the Bullitt/V6!

I'll have to decide if I want to spend the money on a different one, or sell the Plenum cover.

I really like the SGT brace more that the other one, so I'll probably just leave it as is!

post-21656-1222221193_thumb.jpg

This is how I made mine fit:

I removed the two rubber grommets from the rear tabs, which allowed the "feet" to fit over the nuts securing the fuel rail. Then using rubber washers, and nuts that threaded on the fuel rail mounting studs, bolted down the rear tabs. No need to remove the studs.

I opened up the two front mounting holes allowing the front of the plenum cover to sit almost flush on the intake, and reinstalled the front rubber grommets. Then I used the two studs on the throttle body to hold the front of the cover snugly in place.

This probably gained nearly a half-inch in the rear, and about a quarter-inch in the front. It easily misses the strut tower brace now.

I removed the two rubber grommets from the rear tabs, which allowed the "feet" to fit over the nuts securing the fuel rail. Then using rubber washers, and nuts that threaded on the fuel rail mounting studs, bolted down the rear tabs. No need to remove the studs.

I opened up the two front mounting holes allowing the front of the plenum cover to sit almost flush on the intake, and reinstalled the front rubber grommets. Then I used the two studs on the throttle body to hold the front of the cover snugly in place.

This probably gained nearly a half-inch in the rear, and about a quarter-inch in the front. It easily misses the strut tower brace now.

What company is your Plenum cover? It looks and sounds a bit different from the midwest autogear one that I have.

Great Modification nice when you have that skill, hate when people only go by the instructions and now I can install mine Thank you !!!!

post-18733-1222616505_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1222616505_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

This was a good search find for me as I'm thinking of ordering a Midwest cover and having Mr Shelby sign it. Now I know I can make it fit. :happy feet:

I put the Ford Racing one on my car and didn't do any modifications at all. On mine it fits snug and the brace itself barely touches the cover, I could slide a piece of paper between the brace and the cover, I figured it wasn't worth dick'n around with and may scratch the cover a bit but nobody will see it anyway.

th_en1.jpg

I put the Ford Racing one on my car and didn't do any modifications at all. On mine it fits snug and the brace itself barely touches the cover, I could slide a piece of paper between the brace and the cover, I figured it wasn't worth dick'n around with and may scratch the cover a bit but nobody will see it anyway.

th_en1.jpg

I hope my install goes a smooth as yours did.

• 3 months later...
Well it finally got done. I had my dealer do it at the same time they did my JBA shorty headers. I like how it came out...

Looks great, Just wondering how long did it take to have the JBA shortys installed as i am having mine done shortly and did every thing hook up to the stock x-pipe?

PJ

wildcatAZ what shock tower covers did you purchase from midwest?

Yup, those are from midwest. It's a good color match but the fit is not perfect from the factory. I had to shave the tabs a little to get them to stay on while driving. Midwest is aware of the issue and will fix it if you send them back. It was just easier to do it myself. For what they cost they should be done right at the factory. Otherwise they are just what I was looking for...

Archived