TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1967 GT500 original oilcap value?

YenkoYS-100

I have an original '67 GT500 chrome FoMoCo oilcap. Anyone have an idea on it's value? Nice chrome, no pitting, scratches, etc. VGC used, original.

Thanks in advance. I feel it would be better on the right car, instead of on my '69 F250 CrewCab 4x4.

Also, anyone know if these were shared with other years?

----------

Rick

I have an original '67 GT500 chrome FoMoCo oilcap. Anyone have an idea on it's value? Nice chrome, no pitting, scratches, etc. VGC used, original.

Thanks in advance. I feel it would be better on the right car, instead of on my '69 F250 CrewCab 4x4.

----------

Rick

WOW! I guess I stumped everyone? If it was an original GM "S-rivet" chrome BBC oilcap, I know what it's worth. LOL

Thanks again!

------------

Rick

----------

Rick

Any pictures?

Hi Rick. Welcome to the Team Shelby Forums.

Hard to give an exact value on your oil cap but it looks like that oil cap is available from places like Scott Drake and Tony Branda for around $15-$35

Unless there is a big difference between an original cap compared to a reproduction cap it looks like your cap would be less than the price of a new cap.

Steve

PS- Feel free to post a pic of your cap.

Hi Rick. Welcome to the Team Shelby Forums.

Hard to give an exact value on your oil cap but it looks like that oil cap is available from places like Scott Drake and Tony Branda for around $15-$35

Unless there is a big difference between an original cap compared to a reproduction cap it looks like your cap would be less than the price of a new cap.

Steve

PS- Feel free to post a pic of your cap.

Steve,

Most people that have 100+K cars, do not put repro parts on them. This makes an original part worth much more money. Most repro parts are junk, plain and simple. This is putting it nicely. Ask people about nightmare repro sheetmetal parts.

I could go on and on..............but hopefully you get my point. If not, go buy a big resto project car and use all repro stuff to restore it. Then sell the car. See what it costs you, and how much you recoup. Then see what someone can sell same car for, with original parts.

I'm 47 years old. I've been around the classic/muscle car industry for quite awhile.

Thanks, Rick

Just a FYI.........The Branda or Drake oilcaps are nowhere near the same cap. Probably made in Mexico, or China. Not even the same style of attachment. They share that they are both chrome, but the original chrome is far superior, not "shopping cart" flash chrome.

Rick

I understand what you're saying but without pics of your oil cap and not knowing if by original you mean it came off of a 1967 Shelby or you bought it from Ford in say 1977 I did my best with the info I had.

We should also point out that owners of $100+k cars put on NOS date coded parts and not 40 year old used parts.

So without holding your oil cap in one hand and a reproduction cap in the other hand it's hard to place a value on your cap. If there is a big noticeable difference in construction between your cap and a reproduction cap then there is probably a larger price difference between the two.

You can always put your cap on ebay. That should pretty much determine what its worth.

Good luck.

Steve

Archived