TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fair warning for you out of staters

DubbsFaris

We are currently building a highway near Eagle Pass and it is crawling with state police.

My understanding is homeland security has pulled them out of their area patrols to run 2 week shifts near the border to help secure them.

The troopers arent happy bout leavin their families and patrolling the desolate parts of TX.

Anyway, be cautious and careful coming to Terlingua...they are bound to have been informed, and news will spread fast if they werent.

It is now automatic go to jail and impound vehicle for speed in excess of 100...

Also, I dont have a front plate, but I may have to put the bracket on if I gotta drive it up 90 or I-10 for 350 miles. I got pulled over in a Lexus a couple weeks ago for no plate by DPS near the border.

Im not trying to throw a wet blanket on the fun bringing up this, but I dont want any of us needing to be bailed out or worse...a GT500 bumper towed.. :censored:

We are currently building a highway near Eagle Pass and it is crawling with state police.

My understanding is homeland security has pulled them out of their area patrols to run 2 week shifts near the border to help secure them.

The troopers arent happy bout leavin their families and patrolling the desolate parts of TX.

Anyway, be cautious and careful coming to Terlingua...they are bound to have been informed, and news will spread fast if they werent.

It is now automatic go to jail and impound vehicle for speed in excess of 100...

Also, I dont have a front plate, but I may have to put the bracket on if I gotta drive it up 90 or I-10 for 350 miles. I got pulled over in a Lexus a couple weeks ago for no plate by DPS near the border.

Im not trying to throw a wet blanket on the fun bringing up this, but I dont want any of us needing to be bailed out or worse...a GT500 bumper towed.. :censored:

Gah. Guess I'll bring my brackets. Might make a few more as well if I have the time.

WTB ranch near Lajitas/Terlingua. Cheap. I want to drive stupidly fast on it and give the cops the finger.

Whats the story on the front plate issue, is it illegal to drive in TX without a front plate even if the car is from out of state??

Note to self, dont wind out third gear for fear of bumper tow....

FP

Whats the story on the front plate issue, is it illegal to drive in TX without a front plate even if the car is from out of state??

Note to self, dont wind out third gear for fear of bumper tow....

FP

No, if your state doesn't require it, TX has to uphold that. So out of staters dont need to worry about the front plate...

BUT going over 100mph is very tempting when you can see 12 miles of the road ahead of you.

Its a crappy law if you ask me.

All,

Vorpl the local Terlinguite here - this is a very good point being made. Locally, in the past few weeks enforcement efforts have been high - higher than normal and extremely picky as in stopping people for doing 73 in a 70. I have talked to several who have had this happen locally - locally to me is anything within a couple hundred miles - such as Alpine, Marathon, Marfa, Van Horn, Fort Stockton area. They are usually not this far down south - but if they here of lots of fast cars - who knows...

Its an incredible drag and not the norm - but is true from what friends tell me. Drive the limit around here for now.

david

All,

Vorpl the local Terlinguite here - this is a very good point being made. Locally, in the past few weeks enforcement efforts have been high - higher than normal and extremely picky as in stopping people for doing 73 in a 70. I have talked to several who have had this happen locally - locally to me is anything within a couple hundred miles - such as Alpine, Marathon, Marfa, Van Horn, Fort Stockton area. They are usually not this far down south - but if they here of lots of fast cars - who knows...

Its an incredible drag and not the norm - but is true from what friends tell me. Drive the limit around here for now.

david

How high is the river? Presidio is having a flood but that's down stream.

How high is the river? Presidio is having a flood but that's down stream.

The river is up but slowly receeding. It will likely effect the golf course at Lajitas but little else.

The weather forecast is awesome at least - see you in Lajitas!

VB

The river is up but slowly receeding. It will likely effect the golf course at Lajitas but little else.

The weather forecast is awesome at least - see you in Lajitas!

VB

VB,

How are the roads looking for the road rally?

Stuart

Ike may have cut us a break in west Texas...I copied this from a story on yahoo about Galveston...

(Excerpt)...Hundreds of stop signs were being trucked in to replace traffic lights, nearly all of which were blown away, and 150 state troopers were on their way to help police the city.

With 150 troopers headed that way, that means a few less for us... :shift: :happy feet:

VB,

How are the roads looking for the road rally?

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

The roads out here are fine with only one exception FM 170 which is the road that goes from Lajitas west to Presidio (no problems getting to Lajitas by coming down either Hwy 118 form Alpine or down 385 from Marathon and through the park - just do not come south through Marfa and try to get on FM 170) is closed still and likely to stay that way for weeks. This is a beautiful road - considered one of the ten most scenic in the USA, twisting and winding (next year's event) - but is not vital to get anywhere where we might have to go. There are other options to bypass it and get to everywhere else out here. This one road follows the Rio Grande which is flooded and so is this road - FM 170.

I am not sure - like everyone else - what route is being considered for the Bull Run - but lots of other great choices are available and offer excellent scenery etc. All other roads are perfectly dry, undamaged in any way, and should be great for driving. Happily.

Cannot say how much I am looking forward to event day - see you soon!

VB

Fear the Bunny!

Hi Stuart,

The roads out here are fine with only one exception FM 170 which is the road that goes from Lajitas west to Presidio (no problems getting to Lajitas by coming down either Hwy 118 form Alpine or down 385 from Marathon and through the park - just do not come south through Marfa and try to get on FM 170) is closed still and likely to stay that way for weeks. This is a beautiful road - considered one of the ten most scenic in the USA, twisting and winding (next year's event) - but is not vital to get anywhere where we might have to go. There are other options to bypass it and get to everywhere else out here. This one road follows the Rio Grande which is flooded and so is this road - FM 170.

I am not sure - like everyone else - what route is being considered for the Bull Run - but lots of other great choices are available and offer excellent scenery etc. All other roads are perfectly dry, undamaged in any way, and should be great for driving. Happily.

Cannot say how much I am looking forward to event day - see you soon!

VB

Fear the Bunny!

VB,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like there will be no impact to either the Bull Run or the Road race!!! Sounds fantastic. Also, it appears that the weather is going to cooperate. Be safe, keep it between the lines and we'll see you on the 24/25th. Regards.

Stuart

VB,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like there will be no impact to either the Bull Run or the Road race!!! Sounds fantastic. Also, it appears that the weather is going to cooperate. Be safe, keep it between the lines and we'll see you on the 24/25th. Regards.

Stuart

Actually my suspicion is that FM170 was the road race route; and that it may be canceled................

All,

My guess is also that 170 was part of the route - but happily we have some other great options. Hwy 118 north then over to Marfa and the Davis Mountains is also very beautiful and fun to drive espically in the mountainous areas.

See everyone soon,

VB

Fear the Bunny!

All,

Fear the Bunny!

Edited your post for the important part.

/sinister and evil voice

Yes. Fear the bunny. She's coming for you.

Personally I fear the tequila more :hysterical:

Archived