TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GLHS

stevetruncale

Two questions actually, If a car is missing the # badge on dash, is any one making repros? and how do I varify the # of the vehicle?

Steve

Steve, Welcome to Team Shelby.

No repros on the dash plaques. Shelby has repeatedly said no this and the licensing lawyers will go after anyone who does.

If you PM me your vin number I can let you know what car # you have.

Steve

Steve, Welcome to Team Shelby.

No repros on the dash plaques. Shelby has repeatedly said no this and the licensing lawyers will go after anyone who does.

If you PM me your vin number I can let you know what car # you have.

Steve

So basically buying a car missing a dash # is pointless as a collectable?

Hmm, I don't know why you would think a $5. piece of tin is all the car is about :headscratch: I mean, Iwouldn't want to lose mine but I'll still enjoy my car even if it does go missing at some point. Folks have been successful networking with other owners to find not only a replacement badge from a parted or junked car, but the right badge has been found once that I know of :yup:

Alan

Its not so much that the badge has any monetary value...it's this question...would you purchase a car for say 7k to 8k without one? Is it worth investing 5 to 6k additional on a restoration without a badge knowing that an original could not be obtained...It's a deep hole to be in for me at least...and knowing that the car could never be complete is daunting.

Steve

Its not so much that the badge has any monetary value...it's this question...would you purchase a car for say 7k to 8k without one? Is it worth investing 5 to 6k additional on a restoration without a badge knowing that an original could not be obtained...It's a deep hole to be in for me at least...and knowing that the car could never be complete is daunting.

Steve

Steve

This subject has come up in the past and has been looked into with the Shelby folks. One point that was brought up was that even if new dash plaques were made available they would not be 100% exactly the same as the original plaques.

The idea was that by making them a little different "we" could identify in the future which dash plaque was a reproduction plaque and which was a original Whittier plaque.

One suggestion was to make them different by adding the letter 'R' onto the plaque to denote a replacement plaque but what would stop someone from telling a potential buyer that the 'R' means race version or something goofy like that to fool a buyer into buying their car.

While our Shelby Dodges are not being cloned liked the 60's Shelby's there have been enough Shelby Dodge's with unoriginal parts added along with a BS story of how their car is special.

We are currently working on the SAI registry, which will include Shelby Dodges, and are looking at various ways that members can verify their Shelby thru factory records. Absolutely no promises on this but its something that we would like to see happen.

Steve

Archived