TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rain and Flooding

motorjock205

There has been an awful lot of rain and flooding in the Lajitas area recently with Mexican Resovoirs breaking and flooding the Rio Grande River near Lajitas...has anyone checked with the resort to see how things are there? Flash flooding in low lying areas in Texas is nothing to mess with...

There has been an awful lot of rain and flooding in the Lajitas area recently with Mexican Resovoirs breaking and flooding the Rio Grande River near Lajitas...has anyone checked with the resort to see how things are there? Flash flooding in low lying areas in Texas is nothing to mess with...

Read the weather thread. Vorpal is park ranger down there and is keeping us fully updated on the status down there. Especially read his last post around 730pm yesterday about the sheer size of the area. It's larger than New Jersey...then again....I think Houston is too :hysterical: Seriously though, the nearest weather station is 225 miles from where we are. I'm going by Vorpal's observations.

All,

The Rio Grande is considered to be at moderate flood stage right now from Presidio - which is about 80 miles upriver from Lajitas to at least La Linda which is about 118 miles below Lajitas at the far (east) end of Big Bend National Park. This is due to the remnants of Tropical Strom Lowell which hit the river basin with heavy rains about a week ago on top of a very wet period.

We, the park staff, are working with structure and home protection in the Rio Grande Village and Castolon areas within the park (these are low lying areas within the park - lower than Lajitas) - meaning preperaing for worst case scenarios if the water rises high enough to threaten low lying buildings. The highest water is currently (changes can occur) predicted to crest in Lajitas by later this week - likely Friday unless there is more rain in Mexico.

The current high water/flood of the river is mostly due to rains received on the Rio Conchos (some also on the Rio Grande) - which is the Mexican tributary that feeds into the Rio Grande upriver at Presidio.

What this all means - we locally are not 100% sure, but it seems likely the worst of the high water will pass by this weekend - admittedly close - but hopefully it will be a non-issue by event time. It has been dry for at least several days as well and yes rain is very, very sporadic out here in dry West, TX normally.

I cannot speak for Lajitas - it is a private resort that is just outside the western most border of the park where I work. I assume they are managing as we in the park are and are waiting for the high water crest to pass and that they will be fine for the event. I also assume the organizers of the event are checking with them often.

So, my hope remains for good weather, no rain, and a great time. the good news is the whole area is greener and prettier than even what is normal now with all the recent rains. This is very good for driving and looking around. Lastly, pay little attention to any forecast for this area that is more than a couple days out - we are far from any population center and long-term forecasting here is difficult. Thus, if it sez rain on Sept 25 or later etc it could change by the time we get closer and often does.

Hope this helps - do not want to speak out of turn.

David aka Vorpal

All,

The Rio Grande is considered to be at moderate flood stage right now from Presidio - which is about 80 miles upriver from Lajitas to at least La Linda which is about 118 miles below Lajitas at the far (east) end of Big Bend National Park. This is due to the remnants of Tropical Strom Lowell which hit the river basin with heavy rains about a week ago on top of a very wet period.

We, the park staff, are working with structure and home protection in the Rio Grande Village and Castolon areas within the park (these are low lying areas within the park - lower than Lajitas) - meaning preperaing for worst case scenarios if the water rises high enough to threaten low lying buildings. The highest water is currently (changes can occur) predicted to crest in Lajitas by later this week - likely Friday unless there is more rain in Mexico.

The current high water/flood of the river is mostly due to rains received on the Rio Conchos (some also on the Rio Grande) - which is the Mexican tributary that feeds into the Rio Grande upriver at Presidio.

What this all means - we locally are not 100% sure, but it seems likely the worst of the high water will pass by this weekend - admittedly close - but hopefully it will be a non-issue by event time. It has been dry for at least several days as well and yes rain is very, very sporadic out here in dry West, TX normally.

I cannot speak for Lajitas - it is a private resort that is just outside the western most border of the park where I work. I assume they are managing as we in the park are and are waiting for the high water crest to pass and that they will be fine for the event. I also assume the organizers of the event are checking with them often.

So, my hope remains for good weather, no rain, and a great time. the good news is the whole area is greener and prettier than even what is normal now with all the recent rains. This is very good for driving and looking around. Lastly, pay little attention to any forecast for this area that is more than a couple days out - we are far from any population center and long-term forecasting here is difficult. Thus, if it sez rain on Sept 25 or later etc it could change by the time we get closer and often does.

Hope this helps - do not want to speak out of turn.

David aka Vorpal

David,

Thanks for the update! You are the "Official" Terlingua Weatherman! Good luck and we'll see you on the 25th. Regards.

Stuart

David,

Thanks for the update! You are the "Official" Terlingua Weatherman! Good luck and we'll see you on the 25th. Regards.

Stuart

I second this nomination!

Vorpal,

I can't help but remember the high-water marks on the rest area at Santa Elana Canyon....................Hopefully won't happen this year.

NW Oklahoma was drowned by Lowell too, but OKC got little to nothing from either system (Ike or Lowell)

Hey Sprint,

Good memory you have. It is actually at or above those levels - which were reached in 1991 - I was actually here for those levels on the comfort statiions at Santa Elena Canyon takeout.

Still all in all we are hoping it will pass this weekend - the crest - then start to drop slowly.

We are hoping the effects will be small to historic buildings in that area - you might recall we - the park - have several historic adobe buildings lying low along the road between Castolon and Santa Elena Canyon takeout - we are erecting berms around them yesterday and today.

David

Hey David,

Thanks for the update!

Now, being an eternal optimist, I am curious about the availability of car washing in the Terlingua / Lajitias area.

I am sure there will be quite a few rides that will need cleaning after a couple of days on the road to Texas.

Your native knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Hey David,

Thanks for the update!

Now, being an eternal optimist, I am curious about the availability of car washing in the Terlingua / Lajitias area.

I am sure there will be quite a few rides that will need cleaning after a couple of days on the road to Texas.

Your native knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Just read some other threads, especially the one about the levee in Presidio and realize that this request may come across as a little pretentious. If anyone is offended, please accept my apology.

Michael

Just read some other threads, especially the one about the levee in Presidio and realize that this request may come across as a little pretentious. If anyone is offended, please accept my apology.

Michael

Hi Michael,

The latest news locally - for the park and Presidio seems good - the high water crest now seems to be forecast to come thru by THIS Friday and to not be as high as early thought. Unless lots of rain or something changes this. At the current predicted level I do not think further damage will occur locally - hope not - and also think we will be fine for the event!

Towns upstream of Presidio including Ojinaja Mexico have not been as lucky - nor has Redford, TX (about 40 miles upstream of Lajitas) - they both have had some flooding alas.

Car washing opportunities may be slim locally - not sure what Lajitas might be able to make available. Alpine is the nearest town big enough to have a car wash - several of the coin operated spray and wash facilties are available in Alpine, same in Fort Stockton I think.

Glad to answer anything I can locally.

David

Archived