TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aluminum Block

emailcm

Guest evilchris

Anyone know if we can buy one somewhwere fot the GT500?

You can use the Ford GT block if you can source one. It will need machined for a starter, and provisions for oiling since the Ford GT used a dry sump oiling system.

It won't be cheap at all. It's shame because it should been done at the factory.

Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=8069429712

Would be awesome, GT500 in the 3700's in weight and MUCH improved weight distribution. Not to mention more strength. Get some 4340 Manley rods in there and you have a killer.

Keep the old iron block and sell it when people start shooting rods out the side of their blocks thanks to the mahle i-beams =)

You can use the Ford GT block if you can source one. It will need machined for a starter, and provisions for oiling since the Ford GT used a dry sump oiling system.

It won't be cheap at all. It's shame because it should been done at the factory.

Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=8069429712

Would be awesome, GT500 in the 3700's in weight and MUCH improved weight distribution. Not to mention more strength. Get some 4340 Manley rods in there and you have a killer.

Keep the old iron block and sell it when people start shooting rods out the side of their blocks thanks to the mahle i-beams =)

Had the GT500 weighed today with me and seven gallons of gas = 4020 lbs. I weigh 180 and seven gallons of gas weighs about 44.5 lbs = 224.5 4020 - 224.5 = 4795.5 My car's Certificate of Origin also says 3785 lbs shipping weight. The GT500 is in the 3700's. Is she a little porky, yeap, but a lot more engine and cooling ability, beefer suspension, bigger brakes, six forward gears, bigger wheels/tires. I don't think spending the money for the aluminum block/machine work and all the headach switching over is worth it, unless your rich or unless your going to race the car. Just my two cents. I don't know why Ford didn't go with the aluminum block in the first place. Most people that are spending 44K plus for a Mustang, would have paid 5K more to have the aluminum block, I know I would have.

5.4 Aluminum Block is available through the Ford Racing Catalog. Not cheap, but available.

Had the GT500 weighed today with me and seven gallons of gas = 4020 lbs. I weigh 180 and seven gallons of gas weighs about 44.5 lbs = 224.5 4020 - 224.5 = 4795.5 My car's Certificate of Origin also says 3785 lbs shipping weight. The GT500 is in the 3700's. Is she a little porky, yeap, but a lot more engine and cooling ability, beefer suspension, bigger brakes, six forward gears, bigger wheels/tires. I don't think spending the money for the aluminum block/machine work and all the headach switching over is worth it, unless your rich or unless your going to race the car. Just my two cents. I don't know why Ford didn't go with the aluminum block in the first place. Most people that are spending 44K plus for a Mustang, would have paid 5K more to have the aluminum block, I know I would have.

Well someone has to do it, I guess it might as well be me. How does your car get almost a thousand pounds heavy when you subtract your weight and the weight of the gas. Back to school for you :doh:

All kidding aside, Ford said they didn't use the aluminum block because it was set up for a dry sump system and couldn't justisfy the added expense. I think I would have accepted it if we saved a hundred pounds or so. :cheerleader:

Weight:

SHM aluminum 5.4 - 95 pounds

Ford 5.4 iron block - 239 pounds

144 pound difference

SHM block info:

"Sean Hyland Motorsport are proud to announce the release of the 5.4 and 4.6 aluminum motorsport engine block. These blocks have taken a year to design, and incorporate features designed to provide durability and increased performance.

The 5.4 block can be ordered with a bore size of up to 3.75", which results in a 6 liter all aluminum engine for your Lightning, Mustang or rod project. The aluminum motorsport blocks benefit from many design features listed below. Order yours today for early 2004 delivery.

Sean Hyland 4.6/5.4 Motorsport Blocks

356T-7 aluminum alloy

lightweight, only 95lbs for the 5.4, 88lbs for the 4.6

smooth, deep skirt construction

billet steel main caps, main studs supplied, optional aluminum main caps

13mm thick deck

External oil drain backs reduce windage losses

cast iron sleeve, 3.55-3.75 bore

Block designed for semi-stressed mid engine applications

2500 HP capable

Archived