TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Simple brake cooling mods

sleepless

Cantrell Motorsports has found that the Porsche GT3 RS brake scoops are easy to install on just about any car and they work quite well. Nice thing is that you don't have to deal with brake cooling cutouts in the front fascia nor with the brake hoses. And, the scoops are only $30 each and it takes about an hour to install them; you have to weld the attachment bolts to your lower control arms.

I also had them remove the fake grills from the lower bumper and cutout the backing and install some black mesh. I never liked the look of the fake honey comb grill pattern with the billet upper grill from Shelby. Plus, removing the fake grill turned into a real grill which allows more air to pass to the brakes.

In the first photo you can see the new lower grill and below that you can see the scoops. The second photo shows one of the scoops.

372431649_fgGpP-M.jpg

372431659_a2L24-M.jpg

First track day for the SGT is Tuesday; looking forward to it :):shift:

Right. You should run with and without to notice the difference. Have a pyrometer ready and check the temps. Less heat is less brake pad wear. And change your brake fluid regularly. What pads are you using?

Since I'm going to just run with street tires I went with less aggressive pads than I've used in the past on other cars; I went with the Hawk HP+. I normally like Hawk DTC-60 pads for heavy track use.

I also put in the Castrol SRF fluid; my fave.

Since I'm going to just run with street tires I went with less aggressive pads than I've used in the past on other cars; I went with the Hawk HP+. I normally like Hawk DTC-60 pads for heavy track use.

I also put in the Castrol SRF fluid; my fave.

I ran my 1st track event in July and I am going back in Oct and maybe run a SCCA event in Nov.this weekend I have installed stainless brake lines and DOT 4 Motul brake fluid.

enjoy, I do

Well, had a great time with the SGT at the track today and the brakes held up superbly. Keep in mind I ran on street rubber and HP+ pads, not exactly a fast setup, so not super taxing on the brakes. Pacific Raceways has a long front straight which can be very fast at the end. Today, I held my speed at 120MPH, not wanting to overheat the brakes and tires unnecessarily; plus few people go faster than that so I wasn't going to hold anyone up. Anyway, on street tires, Turn 2 is about a 65MPH sweeper so I was repeatedly slowing the car from 120 to 65 with no problems.

So, for this level of driving, this brake setup was just fine.

The SGT handled really well; I'm very impressed. My last Mustang was a track prepped (had just about everything Maximum Motorsports sells for suspension and chassis) '03 SVT Cobra and I'd say the SGT with the Ford Racing Suspension was it's equal, if not better, in the handling department. I didn't miss the extra power (my Cobra put down 435HP in open track trim, er, pulley) and I definitely did not miss the supercharger whine!

Fine times were had :)

Only one? Who took the great picture while the photographer was driving?

I think it was one of the participants that took the shot. It was a two-day NSX event; I shot photos on the first day and drove on the second day. I had one person come up at the end of the day and say "the Mustang was the highlight of the event" :happy feet:

The Bridgestone's didn't take too well to track abuse; they started chunking in the middle of the afternoon.

The right front gets the most abuse at Pacific Raceways. Even with -2.5 degrees of negative camber, the outside wasn't going to take anymore without falling apart. I was running around 38PSI in the front, hot.

375745259_ZoaVx-L.jpg

I have been on that track. A lot of left turns. I have Pilot Sports and it is the same way. The outside profyle of the tire gets lifted as you know what I mean. You will get little edges and that causes vibration in a long run. I have to go to slicks.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
www.cantrellmotorsport.com ordered and installed them. you need to weld a couple of bolts to the lower control arms to attach them.

I wonder if these couldn't be used with the Shelby brake cooling ducts I have installed.

SAI has yet to release hoses or the plates that mount to the rotors. I was contemplating ripping the Shelby setup out in lieu of the Agent47 kit, but these may be worth a shot first.

Ken

I wonder if these couldn't be used with the Shelby brake cooling ducts I have installed.

SAI has yet to release hoses or the plates that mount to the rotors. I was contemplating ripping the Shelby setup out in lieu of the Agent47 kit, but these may be worth a shot first.

Ken

What about adding the JLT Hose & Plate Kit??? Only $139... I know it specifies GT500, but it is a 2-1/2" hose that should clamp to the SPP Bezel... No???

JLT Kit

tn_Brake%20cooling%20kit%20016.jpg

Gregg

07SGT0547

You sir are a brilliant man. ;)

Good call

Ken

This setup has only been out for a month or so ???

And they were my initial choice, but JLT doesn't have a GT/CS bezel designed yet... But after reading all the posts about the SPP bezel install, I really wasn't looking forward to doing it myself... Not to mention, I really didn't have a use/need for the EXPENSIVE & breakable Fog Lights, so I went with the A-47 setup...

Let me know how they work...

Gregg

07SGT0547

This setup has only been out for a month or so ???

And they were my initial choice, but JLT doesn't have a GT/CS bezel designed yet... But after reading all the posts about the SPP bezel install, I really wasn't looking forward to doing it myself... Not to mention, I really didn't have a use/need for the EXPENSIVE & breakable Fog Lights, so I went with the A-47 setup...

Let me know how they work...

Gregg

07SGT0547

Ya man I definitely will. For less than a couple hundred bucks, it's worth giving it a shot over trying to get these ridiculous bezels UNinstalled!

Thanks again.

Ken

Ya man I definitely will. For less than a couple hundred bucks, it's worth giving it a shot over trying to get these ridiculous bezels UNinstalled!

Thanks again.

Ken

As long as they clamp to the SPP bezels, they should be more than adequate... And I'm just returning the favor on going with the F1's from Tire Rack...

Gregg

As long as they clamp to the SPP bezels, they should be more than adequate... And I'm just returning the favor on going with the F1's from Tire Rack...

Gregg

I got around to measuring my bezels and they're 3". :banghead:

I guess I could buy the JLT kit for the rotor brackets and just clamp a 3" hose real tight to it, but I wouldn't be maximizing the potential airflow that the 3" bezel offers.

Although 2.5" of cool air is better than zero. Anyone know of a 3" hose/bracket kit?? Any word on if/when SAI is going to release the other HALF of the kit many of us have paid for?

Ken

I got around to measuring my bezels and they're 3". :banghead:

I guess I could buy the JLT kit for the rotor brackets and just clamp a 3" hose real tight to it, but I wouldn't be maximizing the potential airflow that the 3" bezel offers.

Although 2.5" of cool air is better than zero. Anyone know of a 3" hose/bracket kit?? Any word on if/when SAI is going to release the other HALF of the kit many of us have paid for?

Ken

Quantum Motorsports has a 3" competition kit with a really nice backplate. I've just got to figure out how to transition from the 4" dia. fog light holes that I've dremelled out.......... :finger:

Here's a link to their Mustang Brake Kits

Enjoy :rockon:

Archived