TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Terlingua Racing Team 1960's Pit Flag

SpeedRacer

Look what I bought on Ebay. Bringing to Terlingua. Hopefully get Bill Neale & Carroll Shelby (Ken Miles??) to sign! :happy feet:

Here is the Description:

"This is a Terlingua Racing Team flag from my dad's estate.

He was everything from a driver to SCCA Race director in the SW Region. Raced and worked with Carrol Shelby in the late 50's and early 60's. Was there for the heyday of the original Shelby's at Green Valley.

It is very good shape. A little oil and dirt from time in the pits. Has one letter started to lift on one side. It is the same on both sides. A flag pole can go up one side. Did this so they could mount it on a pole in the pits.

Unfortunatly for me my dad quit racing after his Sebring Race in 1961 and I was just born, so I didn"t get to personally enjoy all his fun back then."

"It is about 20" sqaure. Not sure on the exact details. Like I said, my dad was out of sports car racing around 1967. I was just a young pup then. The pictures I have of him racing were when he raced a Lotus 11, Mini-Cooper, Abarth, and Saab's. The flag isn't in them. It probably was never in his pit though, since he raced against Shelby and not for him. I know they raced together while we lived in Dallas at Green VAlley, so it had to have come from there. He did also race at Riverside and Sebring, so maybe it came from there, but most likely Green Valley. "

Could this be the pit flag from:

"The "Flying Mustang". February 14, 1965, Green Valley Raceway, Texas - the "Hawk", Ken Miles flies GT 350 SFM5R-002 for a racing photo that became famous as a P.R. photo for Shelby American and helped establish the prominence of the Shelby GT 350 among enthusiasts."

Maybe!! :shift::shift:

Stuart

3ace_1.jpg

3938_1.jpg

3734_1.jpg

I was eyeing that too; nice grab....

My fear on Ebay is that I end up going against a fellow TS member buying one of those items.

Cant wait to see it!

Dubbs,

I agree. That's why I didn't bid on the patch. I figured someone from TS was bidding on it to take to Terlingua. When I saw no one bidding on the flag, I couldn't resist! You'll definately see it at Terlingua--we'll even Fly IT!!! :shift::shift:

Stuart

Just found out that this flag was the property of Lars Giertz. He was a race Car Driver in the 1960's. He raced with Carroll, Hill, & others. He was then also the SW SCCA Director. This story is getting very interesting.... How and where he got it is still a mystery. He didn't race Mustangs.

Sad news is he died in an Experimental Aircraft crash.

http://www.ksql.com/myriad/eaaadvisor.htm

Stuart

Bringing to Terlingua. Hopefully get Bill Neale & Carroll Shelby (Ken Miles??) to sign!

Ken Miles was killed testing the Ford J car at Riverside Raceway on August 17, 1966.

Wonderful find with the flag--hold on to it-it's a treasure!! You are envy'd by many (and rightfully so).

Just found out more about Lars Geirtz. He raced in the 1961 12 Hour sebring Race. He raced in a Fiat-Abarth Monza – Fiat 982cc N/A and DNFed. That raced featured notables such as: Phil Hill, Sterling Moss, Don Yenko, Graham Hill, Roger Penske and many others. Here’s a Picture of his car.

WatermarkedImageHandlerashx-1.jpg

Archived