TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The sizzle is fading....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys do all know they changed horsepower ratings in 1972 don't you???????? You are trying to compare apples (Gross HP) to oranges (Net).

The 06-08 Shelby GT has more HP then any 1960's Shelby Mustang. Well maybe the 68 GT500KR will 'match' the 06-08 GT in a factory stock HP test - they are that close at about 400 NET (the 358 above is too low). The 06-08 GT can also out handle, out accelerate and out brake any of the 60's Shelby Mustangs (street legal, street versions, street tune).

Go deep into the Shelby world and you will find the true love and respect goes to the 1965 GT350 as being considered the 'true' Shelby..the one designed by the man and company. The 66 was watered down a bit on orders from Ford and by 67 it was a luxoboat and out of racing (note that Shelby used a notchback in 67 to race). I stress--those 'feelings' are by those who know and appreciate the cars for what they are and what era they represent- not as to the the speculators at BJ who see the car as just a way to make a investment buck.

In that regard please go to Jay Leno's web site--Big Dog Garage and watch his video of his 65 GT350. The Shelby Mustang was NEVER a drag racer but conceived as a road car..the HP increase in 65-66 was a huge (Not) 35 GROSS so that makes it about 28 or so NET...at 19+ your in that ball park. The 65 was about 'packaging'..the total performance aspect including handling; just like the 06-08.

Lastly- "You" (anyone on this Board) in a supercharged Shelby GT or GT500 (your choice) and Parnelli Jones in a stock 07-08 Shelby GT on a good road course, say Laguna Seca, and it ain't gonna be close. You lose. You really want to go faster on the track- skip the blower and go to driving school and practice, practice, practice.

+1 I need to drive better myself, well said.

I opted for the GT500 but I would have the GT, naturally aspirated any time. I am a track dog and Thats where the GT would excel. My GT500 has plenty of power but, track time, other than the quarter, not so hot. Now, I know a lot of guys that try HPDE that were drag racers that will never go back. And BTW not mater what you have, after a while, you want more power! You have a great car man, personalize it a bit and make it even better

I agree, no matter what most people get used to their current HP level and always want more, I mean look at most GT500s, they have a great car to begin with that is SC already and yet they are going out to add more mods to increase their HP.

You guys do all know they changed horsepower ratings in 1972 don't you???????? You are trying to compare apples (Gross HP) to oranges (Net).

The 06-08 Shelby GT has more HP then any 1960's Shelby Mustang. Well maybe the 68 GT500KR will 'match' the 06-08 GT in a factory stock HP test - they are that close at about 400 NET (the 358 above is too low). The 06-08 GT can also out handle, out accelerate and out brake any of the 60's Shelby Mustangs (street legal, street versions, street tune).

Go deep into the Shelby world and you will find the true love and respect goes to the 1965 GT350 as being considered the 'true' Shelby..the one designed by the man and company. The 66 was watered down a bit on orders from Ford and by 67 it was a luxoboat and out of racing (note that Shelby used a notchback in 67 to race). I stress--those 'feelings' are by those who know and appreciate the cars for what they are and what era they represent- not as to the the speculators at BJ who see the car as just a way to make a investment buck.

In that regard please go to Jay Leno's web site--Big Dog Garage and watch his video of his 65 GT350. The Shelby Mustang was NEVER a drag racer but conceived as a road car..the HP increase in 65-66 was a huge (Not) 35 GROSS so that makes it about 28 or so NET...at 19+ your in that ball park. The 65 was about 'packaging'..the total performance aspect including handling; just like the 06-08.

Lastly- "You" (anyone on this Board) in a supercharged Shelby GT or GT500 (your choice) and Parnelli Jones in a stock 07-08 Shelby GT on a good road course, say Laguna Seca, and it ain't gonna be close. You lose. You really want to go faster on the track- skip the blower and go to driving school and practice, practice, practice.

Well stated. Also, here is some comparitive performance info -

1965 GT350 - 0-60 mph times came in at 6.8 seconds, the quarter-mile happened in 15 flat at 91 mph, and top speed was close to 135 mph.

1968 GT350 - Factory specs show a 0-60 mph time of 6.3 seconds and a 1/4 mile of 14.9 sec. @ 94 mph.

1968 GT500KR - 0-60 mph, sec: 6.0, 1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 14.3 @ 100

2007 Shelby GT - 0-60 in 5.1 sec; 1/4 mile 13.4 at 104 mph

"The Shelby GT is great fun on the track," said Carroll Shelby. "It's got the heart and soul of the Mustang GT pumped up with a strong motor, nimble chassis and great sound. It's one of those rare cars that's easy to drive really fast."

Well stated. Also, here is some comparitive performance info -

1965 GT350 - 0-60 mph times came in at 6.8 seconds, the quarter-mile happened in 15 flat at 91 mph, and top speed was close to 135 mph.

1968 GT350 - Factory specs show a 0-60 mph time of 6.3 seconds and a 1/4 mile of 14.9 sec. @ 94 mph.

1968 GT500KR - 0-60 mph, sec: 6.0, 1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 14.3 @ 100

2007 Shelby GT - 0-60 in 5.1 sec; 1/4 mile 13.4 at 104 mph

"The Shelby GT is great fun on the track," said Carroll Shelby. "It's got the heart and soul of the Mustang GT pumped up with a strong motor, nimble chassis and great sound. It's one of those rare cars that's easy to drive really fast."

Another way to look at this though, is that in the 1960s, the performance stats you are pointing out were at the top of the spectrum. You are comparing what a car could do 40 years ago, with what it can do now.

Now, in 2008, there are 4 cylinder rice burners that perform comparably to the SGT. SWEDEMAN is right about the SGT being an underperformer, because it doesn't smoke the competition the way it did back in the day.

It's all relative, and as such I think he is comparing apples to apples.

My 2 cents.

S/F

Another way to look at this though, is that in the 1960s, the performance stats you are pointing out were at the top of the spectrum. You are comparing what a car could do 40 years ago, with what it can do now.

Now, in 2008, there are 4 cylinder rice burners that perform comparably to the SGT. SWEDEMAN is right about the SGT being an underperformer, because it doesn't smoke the competition the way it did back in the day.

It's all relative, and as such I think he is comparing apples to apples.

My 2 cents.

S/F

That's another way of looking at it, but I wouldn't call the SGT an underperformer. It does what it was designed to do. It shouldn't be compared to cars costing thousands more. If there are significantly faster rice burners available for the same cost, well, it would still be a rice burner, but not a Shelby. In other words, theres more to the total Shelby GT package than just the HP number. That's my view, anyway.

The SC alternative is very expensive at almost 9K when installed at SAI, but probably worth it. However, there are interim mods for far less that may give you the HP you desire without going all the way to the SC. Racing heads and mild cam installed for about 4K and about 50 HP (and a nice sound). Driveshaft for about 1K installed and about 10 equivalent HP.

First thank you all for the answers and comments you have given to this thread. I first and foremost want to say that I was not in any way disrespecting CS, I love the Shelby cars and we all know that.

I am just saying that they should have never let this pony out of the corral with 19 HP more that a GT. 07SGT0546 said it correct, I am comparing apples to apples. The 1966 Shelby GT 350, which many here have said has SGT DNA, came factory with 306 HP. That is 81 more HP that a stock GT Mustang back then. The 1966 Shelby completely blew the doors off a GT Mustang back then and now we are a paltry .01 second quicker? Say What? Lets all face it, for those who will admit it, we saw a car being made by Carroll Shelby that was sent from Ford and we all went crazy! I did you did, we all did. Then we start realizing that it is only 19 HP more than the current GT. So we have to call it a "track" car because we know the regular MGT is only a .01 second behind us. That is what we had to call it, a "track" car as it purely is not a 1/4 miler and will not blow the doors off a MGT, like it used to and is supposed to! I will never let that happen again, period. He, CS, should have made this car right, like he did before, not throw some very good I might add FRPP stuff on it and call it a Shelby. Meh, he caught us all. I can admit it because I understand what the car is, it was pure and simple....a money maker for CS. Bottom line.

I love Shelby's and always will. However the next one I buy will not be one that has PBF side plates and a fake hood scoop, it'll have to be the real deal. I still am not selling my SGT cause I'd get killed and I like the way the car looks. So as I ended last time I say, keep the looks but give it the guts. I will add that the guts will have to be $50K or under and MUST be really something special, and I am NOT talking a $100K Super Snake that is only for the wealthy.

EDITED:

First thank you all for the answers and comments you have given to this thread. I first and foremost want to say that I was not in any way disrespecting CS, I love the Shelby cars and we all know that.

I am just saying that they should have never let this pony out of the corral with 19 HP more that a GT. 07SGT0546 said it correct, I am comparing apples to apples. The 1966 Shelby GT 350, which many here have said has SGT DNA, came factory with 306 HP. That is 81 more HP that a stock GT Mustang back then. The 1966 Shelby completely blew the doors off a GT Mustang back then and now we are a paltry .01 second quicker? Say What? Lets all face it, for those who will admit it, we saw a car being made by Carroll Shelby that was sent from Ford and we all went crazy! I did you did, we all did. Then we start realizing that it is only 19 HP more than the current GT. So we have to call it a "track" car because we know the regular MGT is only a .01 second behind us. That is what we had to call it, a "track" car as it purely is not a 1/4 miler and will not blow the doors off a MGT, like it used to and is supposed to! I will never let that happen again, period. He, CS, should have made this car right, like he did before, not throw some very good I might add FRPP stuff on it and call it a Shelby. Meh, he caught us all. I can admit it because I understand what the car is, it was pure and simple....a money maker for CS. Bottom line.

I love Shelby's and always will. However the next one I buy will not be one that has PBF side plates and a fake hood scoop, it'll have to be the real deal. I still am not selling my SGT cause I'd get killed and I like the way the car looks. So as I ended last time I say, keep the looks but give it the guts. I will add that the guts will have to be $50K or under and MUST be really something special, and I am NOT talking a $100K Super Snake that is only for the wealthy.

EDITED:

Swede,

You bring up a good point. We purchase an 07 SGT then research power upgrade options that cost >$7,000 such as a whipple, paxton,KB, or to-be-released 5.0 L modular coyote.

If I had the hind-site and patience to purchase an 07 SGT 1-year later (AUG 2008), I may have been able to spend the money saved to emulate the SGT 500 by installing a 4.6 L Aluminator engine and a HO whipple.

We were among those that got excited when we saw the Shelby GT, then signed on the dotted line. The good news is I went a year without getting a speeding ticket, something I may not have done if I owned a SGT 500.

twrench

EDITED:

Swede, I share many of your sentiments and have stated I love the SGT but it is definitely underpowered. Either mod it or jump to a GT 500 for about 45K and 500 HP.

Swede,

You bring up a good point. We purchase an 07 SGT then research power upgrade options that cost >$7,000 such as a whipple, paxton,KB, or to-be-released 5.0 L modular coyote.

If I had the hind-site and patience to purchase an 07 SGT 1-year later (AUG 2008), I may have been able to spend the money saved to emulate the SGT 500 by installing a 4.6 L Aluminator engine and a HO whipple.

We were among those that got excited when we saw the Shelby GT, then signed on the dotted line. The good news is I went a year without getting a speeding ticket, something I may not have done if I owned a SGT 500.

twrench

Well said twrench, you just said exactly what I have been thinking for a long while now. I guess in my case it was just bad timing on my part because at the time I signed the dotted line for $42,750 on 12/08/07 the 4.6L 319 hp fact was on my mind then and nobody had a gun to my head when I signed but that does not mean that I want to add to my losses by taking a big hit and selling my car,what's done is done.I don't think anybody could have seen the price drops comming at the time when I bought my SGT,at least I didn't. I just ordered a K/B sc $5,799, $500 for guages and cluster and looking at another $1400 for the install which totals to $50,449.I hope that once I get the sc installed I won't think about all this much anymore. Having said all this I still love my car and get real defensive when someone points out the underpowered issue so I decided to do something about it.

Jeff

I'll tell you what. I just took the SGT to a show over the weekend and not ONE person there complained when finding out how much HP the car put out. I spent 1/2 the day washing the drool off the front bumper as people peered under the hood. Swede points out that YOU guys were dooped, however, I was not. I just bought mine 2 months ago and KNEW what I was gettting when I bought it! I had a $8K dollar decision to make..... Buy a bad ass red GT 500 or my VB SGT. Having a 90 GT with a Vortech SC I already knew I did NOT WANT yet another SC car. I wanted something that was awe-inspiring, beautiful to look at and worthy of respect. I will likely spend the $8K on my SGT between now and the next 12 months.... but I OWN the car I WANTED....period.

Now, even before I plucked down my $$$'s for the SGT I asked the guy, how much would it cost me to buy the TWO FRPP's that were put in the car onto a stock MGT. He said, "What color do you want?" and there my friends IS the difference. I could have the exact same car in a MGT as the SGT and have SAVED $$$! In the end, I don't care it wouldn't be a Shelby.

If you're that disappointed and going to go out and buy *another* take some time and watch out for the hype and KNOW what you're buying.... I guess that's really the moral of the story here?

I'll tell you what. I just took the SGT to a show over the weekend and not ONE person there complained when finding out how much HP the car put out. I spent 1/2 the day washing the drool off the front bumper as people peered under the hood. Swede points out that YOU guys were dooped, however, I was not. I just bought mine 2 months ago and KNEW what I was gettting when I bought it! I had a $8K dollar decision to make..... Buy a bad ass red GT 500 or my VB SGT. Having a 90 GT with a Vortech SC I already knew I did NOT WANT yet another SC car. I wanted something that was awe-inspiring, beautiful to look at and worthy of respect. I will likely spend the $8K on my SGT between now and the next 12 months.... but I OWN the car I WANTED....period.

Now, even before I plucked down my $$$'s for the SGT I asked the guy, how much would it cost me to buy the TWO FRPP's that were put in the car onto a stock MGT. He said, "What color do you want?" and there my friends IS the difference. I could have the exact same car in a MGT as the SGT and have SAVED $$$! In the end, I don't care it wouldn't be a Shelby.

If you're that disappointed and going to go out and buy *another* take some time and watch out for the hype and KNOW what you're buying.... I guess that's really the moral of the story here?

+1 :happy feet:

Well said twrench, you just said exactly what I have been thinking for a long while now. I guess in my case it was just bad timing on my part because at the time I signed the dotted line for $42,750 on 12/08/07 the 4.6L 319 hp fact was on my mind then and nobody had a gun to my head when I signed but that does not mean that I want to add to my losses by taking a big hit and selling my car,what's done is done.I don't think anybody could have seen the price drops comming at the time when I bought my SGT,at least I didn't. I just ordered a K/B sc $5,799, $500 for guages and cluster and looking at another $1400 for the install which totals to $50,449.I hope that once I get the sc installed I won't think about all this much anymore. Having said all this I still love my car and get real defensive when someone points out the underpowered issue so I decided to do something about it.

Jeff

Jeff your a dog! Right on, did you get polished or black! Keep us posted, I am jelous! Congrats!!

Jeff your a dog! Right on, did you get polished or black! Keep us posted, I am jelous! Congrats!!

I ordered the black on the 5th and SPP said it would take about 3 weeks before K/B ships it. Actually ordered it on the 8/27 but when I called to check if K/B started taking orders they didn't have it on the computer and had to order it again. 20"razors,GT500 spoiler and painted stripes are going to be right behind it. And to think I was happy with my stock SGT before I started reading this :censored: forum. $$$ and more $.

Jeff

I ordered the black on the 5th and SPP said it would take about 3 weeks before K/B ships it. Actually ordered it on the 8/27 but when I called to check if K/B started taking orders they didn't have it on the computer and had to order it again. 20"razors,GT500 spoiler and painted stripes are going to be right behind it. And to think I was happy with my stock SGT before I started reading this :censored: forum. $$$ and more $.

Jeff

Get used to it Jeff, we're all going to be put in jail for wallet/credit card abuse. It never stops. Everytime you think that's enough, Yea right. There is something else cool that you just gotta have for our SGTs. I guess that's the beauty of the whole SGT concept and why Shelby is more than happy to have such a nice big old catalog with all sorts of add ons.

The KB sounds great. A blower really makes the car come alive. Your gonna love it even more than you did before.

Don

I agree with ilmor. At this point in my life the SGT has enough power to suit me. I think without more driving time 500hp would probably just end me up in jail or a wrecked car. Swede if you think the car needs more horses then go get them...but remember with great power comes great responsibility, or something like that. :burnout:

I do agree that the"Powers that Be" should have put the SGT in the 350 - 375 hp range just to set it a little be higher than the base GT. Having said that, one of the PRIMARY reasons that I bought the SGT was due to the fact that I have 2 sons - both of whom love cars at age 6 and age 2. I know one day they will ask to drive the Shelby GT and I'd love for them to be able to. But with a 500hp beast in the garage, there would be no way that I would let them try to resist the urge to see what 500 hp can do. Even 300 hp in the base Mustang GT is enough to kill someone who does not respect its power.

I was showing my own brother (me age 42 and brother age 33) what kind of power the SGT has. He has driven a lot of high performance European cars, and he was absolutely floored with the power mine has. He thought it was the strongest vehicle to date that he has been in (obviously, he has not ridden in the GT500). To me, this is plenty to have me feel the get up and go of a super strong V8. If money were no object, then I'd have one of each (the GT 500 would be a hardtop).

One day, One day, I'll make the proclamation "Let the GT/SC mod begin", but for now I am looking 15 years down the road. I just hope SAI is around or an approved Mod shop that can do it for me at that time.

Swedeman - throw a tune on that bad boy if you already have not done so, and let me know what you think...I may do that ASAP if it helps to get closer to that 350 hp range.

Let the good times roll!!!...especially if you can drop the top!!!

Andy.

Jeff

I am wanting the black too!-cool!

I am wanting the black too!-cool!

Shipped on the 18th from BLOOMINGTON, CA and should be here on the 24th. Got the install lined up for the 27th,(Saturday)and with any luck I will have my sizzle by next week. :happy feet:

I have missed 1 day of work in sixteen years and the 24th might be my second.

Jeff

Here is a video of Swede expressing his thoughts towards the SGT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtm66Z3lebc

Uhmmmm.Well it is bad but not that bad. As I said before 69deja I hope they, SAI, gets tired of hearing me and they make the 2010 GT350 like it should be made and enough of them so everyone can buy one, if he/she wants.

Could I afford a SS or a 40th..yes. Should I have to pay $7K more for my SGT to beat a stock Mustang GT by more than .01 hundreds of a second...no. That is all I am saying. They need to make money but also make a car that stomps the stock Mustang GT and not just by .01 hundreds of a second. That is my main compliant. Do I love the way the car looks, yes. But it has no guts compared to a Mustang GT, that is a shame.

Good post!

Here is a video of Swede expressing his thoughts towards the SGT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtm66Z3lebc

BB got a Five Star rating .....................So does the SGT thats why I bought it , but Oh what could have been ...........I think SAI will not make the same mistake in 2010 ...................uh , if the we stlll have gas-o-lean then.........................Pony Cars like those high octane oats......ZDS

Uhmmmm.Well it is bad but not that bad. As I said before 69deja I hope they, SAI, gets tired of hearing me and they make the 2010 GT350 like it should be made and enough of them so everyone can buy one, if he/she wants.

Could I afford a SS or a 40th..yes. Should I have to pay $7K more for my SGT to beat a stock Mustang GT by more than .01 hundreds of a second...no. That is all I am saying. They need to make money but also make a car that stomps the stock Mustang GT and not just by .01 hundreds of a second. That is my main compliant. Do I love the way the car looks, yes. But it has no guts compared to a Mustang GT, that is a shame.

Good post!

Swede, I was just trying to cheer you up with a little humor. But I also concur with your assessment. I feel the same way but probably will not go for a 2010 GT 350. It will be cheaper to SC the 2007. I would lose too much in trying to sell it. But whenever you feel down just watch the video. That is what the Blues are all about!!!

ok i got the programer today and let me tell you WOW it runs like a shelby should doug knows what he is doing. it pulls hard all the way untill it shifts then it shifts hard and fast. it will cherp the tires 275/30 20s going into gear at 50/55 talk about bringing the sizzle back (altho i never lost it with mine) this mod is worth every cent. i have only tried the race tune but i will be trying the performance and torque tunes also and will update with info on those.

Archived