TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The sizzle is fading....

I really hope this is a fleeting moment but my sizzle for the Shelby GT is fading. It is apparant that I should have never bought the car without the SC being installed at SAI. I also will never get over the fact that Shelby let this car out of the corral with a paltry 19 hp more that a stock Mustang GT! What a frign joke. We have now labled this car as a "track" car because it can never live up to the reputation of a 1/4 miler. What else could they have named it other than a track car? Install some FRPP stuff and throw on CS's name and we all went crazy. I will never fall for this again and I am sure most other's who feel the same way but will never admit it won't either. They got me this time but it will never happen again. The next Shelby I buy it will have all the power of its older brothers with many other parts that "only" a Shelby makes, and I am not just talking about PBF sidewall plates and a non-functional hood scoop! So next time he'll really have to make an awesome car, otherwise his name will be toast with a capital T and will only live on as long as the 1960's will let it.

So I say keep the looks but now give it the guts!

Ya, it is totally a love hate relationship now.

EDITED:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Swede,

Our SGT cars are pretty cool out of the box. No question they really come alive with a S/C on them and the power is seamless and endless. You have been toying with the S/C idea for quite a while. Why not just do it or at least get in line to get it done? Then you will have the best of both worlds.

Jim

Swedeman, you've got one of the very best looking Shelby's I've ever seen. Go ahead and bite the bullit and get that bad boy supercharged and have the best of both worlds, great looks and more power than you can use :peelout:

Jim

Say it ain't so. I am dying to get reunited with my Shelby GT after only spending about 10 days with it prior to coming back overseas. Everyone talks about the "permagrin", the cobra DNA, and that "something about a Shelby". Hopefully this is a passing phase for you. :)

edit - recommend reading the posts from SUDDEN - if that won't reignite your passion for the Shelby GT I don't what will!

cheers

Ummm didn't the "Older Brothers" put out only 305 HP? Also, MUSTANGS PERIOD have ALWAYS been underpowered! The BEAUTY of them is that the aftermarket/mod universe is vast and expansive! Sure, you may talk to a Chevy guy here and there or the new found Dodge Fans, but let's be realistic... They have NEVER had an iconic car....ever! The last thing they can really point to is a 69 Camaro...... Nothing since.

Just today I was standing there talking wiht a couple of guys ooo'ing and awww'ing over the SGT and then one finally chimes in with, "I wonder when Chevy is gonna bring out that Camaro!" All they can do is wish and hope. They discontinued the Camaro's for LAGGING sales! Mustangs have always and likely will always been America's best selling, most attractive and most customizable pony car out there. Sure, we could have all went out and bought the latest greatest Corvette (insert yawn here) but we didn't..... Instead, we own a piece of retro racing history, hands down, no if's, and's or buts.

Enjoy THE ride!

P.S. - Look around. I have had my car for 5 weeks and I live in So Ca. I have YET to see another SGT ON the road except for a VB 3 weeks before I bought mine. IMO there is NO badder car on the road right now! Everything else is a dime a dozen. Even the stock GT's look ho-hum now.

1966 "K" code Mustang..271 H.P.

1966 Shelby GT350...306 H.P.

1967 GT500KR (428)... 358 H.P.

2007 Shelby GT...319 H.P.

I'd say that your still in decent company Swede, but I hear you on getting the car Supercharged from the gate; that's what I did and my car still sizzles everytime I get behind the wheel.

For me, this car has always been much more than just the power, and I think it has plenty of that, in fact, much more than enough to get me in trouble on any road. As for being a "track car", that's always suited me fine too because I've always been more of a track and autocross fan than a drag racing fan, although I like both.

I've had my Shelby GT for over 16 months now and it still generates a ton of excitement in me every time I go out my kitchen door and see it in the garage, every time I fire it up and hear that sound and take it down the road. Also, I think it looks the best of any Mustang. Even last week, again, I was getting thumbs ups and one lady practically falling out of her car to wave at me, and guys at a golf out clamoring to get a look. Horsepower is far from being the all that ends all with this car in my book.

I agree with the others - Swede just needs to get that SC because the need for more HP is quite obviously his personal most important factor.

Try driving a 06 Chevy Cobalt as a commuter car. The roar of that 2.2L in line 4 rated at somewhere around 140hp sure makes those few and far between days I drive my SGT that much better. I look forward a week in advance when I know I dont have anything else going on and Ill be able to go out and drive the crap out of the SGT. If the SGT was a DD it probably would not be as much fun.

Im leaving in 1 hour for a ride and have been looking forward to it for a few days now.

Swede, I hear you and have also expressed disappointment. I prefer a track car to a drag racer. But I want, and expect, a track car with HP. Minimum 350-400. But we knew what we were buying. And Ol Shel was not a drag racer but a road course driver. SC will give you 400-450+ for 8K + at SAI. Or cylinder heads, headers, cam, driveshaft, tune for 400 HP for about 6 K +. 400 NA with a lopey cam should really put a grin on your face and restore the love.

Swede,

Please contact the Shelby (Scott Drake) parts and ask for Steve Wasset. Steve can put a Kenne Bell twin screw supercharger on your doorstep in short order. The cost is $1000 lower than the new Whipple price increase. The KB is 2.6L vs 2.3L, lower height (you can use a shock tower brace), more efficient, and quieter. The SGT is now as quick as my GT500 (stock). When you see the front end raise up you'll say this is it...how it should have come from Shelby. Stock 278 RWHP vs 440 RWHP. And you can get some new gauges for you car (Wideband A/F, VAC/BOOST, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, etc)!!

Swede, please don't disrespect the almighty SHelby GT. I bought my 08 GT two weeks ago and cannot tell you in words how happy I am with the car and yes I have the car scheduled to be supercharged next summer. Some people may not want all that power of a S/C car and if you do want it then pay the extra $8,000 its no big deal, consider this that you have one of the best looking and best handeling cars ever produced plus with the limited numbers the car will always hold its value. I will be driving mine to Terlingua in less than two weeks and I know that the trip will be one that I will never forget, I don't care :shift: if I have 319HP or 500HP I'll still get there in the same amount of time.

Its funny this post comes up. I was just thinking the same thing. Needs more power. So I bought a Tune, Anderson PowerPipe, and some dress up parts like headrest covers and Im happy once again. I already had the Bassani mufflers put on a while ago but now the car is so much more fun. I didnt relize how sloppy and safe the Ford tune really was. Now I have to go back to the track before winter sets in. Eventually the blower will go on when Im unhappy. Keep her and mod her some.

Come on Swede are you kidding me. Your car is just gorgeous. I could see this coming in your last few posts. You kept putting (needs more power) so just do it. It makes it a whole new beast. I agree that they were underpowered for a car that gets this much attention but that's the beauty of it being based on the Mustang platform. You have endless mod choices and resourses. What other car can you choose from what 5 different blowers (Saleen, Roush, Whipple, KB, and others) and who knows how many turbos. If you want more power get more power. There's cams, heads, headers, you name it out there for our cars. Only limited by your pocketbook. Mine is a totaly different car now. It's really how it should have come from the factory but lets not forget that CShelby is a business and if he built our cars the way they should have been (power, brakes, accesories) then his business would suffer and that's why a project like our SGT was even ever allowed to happen. We buy the cars as a starting point and then we add whatever we want and can afford to make them our own and make us happy. If your not happy don't slam the car, especially not yours it's just too good looking, just mod, mod, mod.

Don

For me, this car has always been much more than just the power, and I think it has plenty of that, in fact, much more than enough to get me in trouble on any road. As for being a "track car", that's always suited me fine too because I've always been more of a track and autocross fan than a drag racing fan, although I like both.

I've had my Shelby GT for over 16 months now and it still generates a ton of excitement in me every time I go out my kitchen door and see it in the garage, every time I fire it up and hear that sound and take it down the road. Also, I think it looks the best of any Mustang. Even last week, again, I was getting thumbs ups and one lady practically falling out of her car to wave at me, and guys at a golf out clamoring to get a look. Horsepower is far from being the all that ends all with this car in my book.

I agree with the others - Swede just needs to get that SC because the need for more HP is quite obviously his personal most important factor.

I agree with ilmor. At this point in my life the SGT has enough power to suit me. I think without more driving time 500hp would probably just end me up in jail or a wrecked car. Swede if you think the car needs more horses then go get them...but remember with great power comes great responsibility, or something like that. :burnout:

Another vote for a Kenne Bell. I left mine at SAI in early August. I got a new car back last week...

By the way, you are the owner of the fastest, ever, turn around of a S/C SGT in the history of SAI, you lucky dog.

Jim

As the gentlemen have so quickly pointed out...... The options field is WIDE open to do whatever is necessary to maintain your level of happiness. Enough is never enough. The ability to continue expanding is where it's at and consider yourself the owner of such a platform by which you can build, and build, and build....... Just remember to post pics! :)

I opted for the GT500 but I would have the GT, naturally aspirated any time. I am a track dog and Thats where the GT would excel. My GT500 has plenty of power but, track time, other than the quarter, not so hot. Now, I know a lot of guys that try HPDE that were drag racers that will never go back. And BTW not mater what you have, after a while, you want more power! You have a great car man, personalize it a bit and make it even better

Swede,

First time I drove the car (Feb 12, 2007 to be exact) I thought WOW what a great ride, plenty of power. Within 30 days I had decided it was quick but not quick enough, needed a power adder. Now the car is a beast, and after driving it for 18 months as a supercharged daily driver I know it was the right thing to do (for me anyway).

This isn't very complicated. If you really want more power… add more power.

The good news is there are a lot of options, 3-4 different bolt-on superchargers kits, twin turbos, heads, headers, cams, gears, custom tunes, you name it…

If you don't want to make the investment in power adders and you are really dissatisfied with the cars performance then you should seriously consider selling the car. There are many other cars you can buy and someone out there would love to own your car.

The worst decision is no decision, lay out all of your options, make a decision, and move on.

Either way I hope it works out for you, good luck…

After 8 months, I am still in love with mine. But when I had it to the strip for the first time this week, it was kind of strange. Everyone was like "Wow, there's a Shelby!" and I just didn't seem to have enough power to back up the great looks and the admiration my car received.

I think I may need mine to go faster too!

I'd say that your still in decent company Swede, but I hear you on getting the car Supercharged from the gate; that's what I did and my car still sizzles everytime I get behind the wheel.

Mine sizzles fine without the SC. I passed plenty of cars at VIR that where supercharged. I may SC it but it could really use brakes. The setup and balance is nice. No regrets here.

You guys do all know they changed horsepower ratings in 1972 don't you???????? You are trying to compare apples (Gross HP) to oranges (Net).

The 06-08 Shelby GT has more HP then any 1960's Shelby Mustang. Well maybe the 68 GT500KR will 'match' the 06-08 GT in a factory stock HP test - they are that close at about 400 GROSS (the 358 above is too low). The 06-08 GT can also out handle, out accelerate and out brake any of the 60's Shelby Mustangs (street legal, street versions, street tune).

Go deep into the Shelby world and you will find the true love and respect goes to the 1965 GT350 as being considered the 'true' Shelby..the one designed by the man and company. The 66 was watered down a bit on orders from Ford and by 67 it was a luxoboat and out of racing (note that Shelby used a notchback in 67 to race). I stress--those 'feelings' are by those who know and appreciate the cars for what they are and what era they represent- not as to the the speculators at BJ who see the car as just a way to make a investment buck.

In that regard please go to Jay Leno's web site--Big Dog Garage and watch his video of his 65 GT350. The Shelby Mustang was NEVER a drag racer but conceived as a road car..the HP increase in 65-66 was a huge (Not) 35 GROSS so that makes it about 28 or so NET...at 19+ your in that ball park. The 65 was about 'packaging'..the total performance aspect including handling; just like the 06-08.

Lastly- "You" (anyone on this Board) in a supercharged Shelby GT or GT500 (your choice) and Parnelli Jones in a stock 07-08 Shelby GT on a good road course, say Laguna Seca, and it ain't gonna be close. You lose. You really want to go faster on the track- skip the blower and go to driving school and practice, practice, practice.

Archived